Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
a New Level'
Feb 2, 2022 12:30 PM CST
FBI Director: China's Spying Has 'Reached a New Level'
Country has stolen more data 'than every other country combined'
- FBI Director Christopher Wray says China's economic espionage campaign is more damaging than ever, which is saying something, considering the scale of the Chinese government's spying stunned Wray when he became FBI director in 2017. "This one blew me away. And I'm not the kind of...
'They Do Not Care': Hackers
Love Hospitals as Targets
Jun 13, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
'They Do Not Care': Hackers Love Hospitals as Targets
Security is lax and the stakes are high, explains Wall Street Journal in an investigation
- Last week, the FBI chief put the threat posed by ransomware on par with the 9/11 attacks. If that seemed like hyperbole, an investigation by the
Wall Street Journal
might shed some light on his thinking. The newspaper catalogs 235 attacks on hospitals and psychiatric centers in the US since...
FBI Chief: Ransomware
Is Our New 9/11
Jun 4, 2021 2:12 PM CDT
FBI Chief: Ransomware Is Our New 9/11
Christopher Wray sees parallels, says the scope of the problem is massive
- The shutdown of the Colonial oil pipeline . The crippling of one of the nation's biggest meat producers. If it seems like ransomware attacks are growing more frequent and more threatening, know that the head of the FBI agrees. And in an interview with the
Wall Street Journal
, Christopher Wray...
FBI Chief: Every 10 Hours, We
Open a China Investigation
Apr 15, 2021 8:03 AM CDT
FBI Chief: Every 10 Hours, We Open a China Investigation
Christopher Wray told Senate panel the FBI has had more than 2K investigations tied back to China
- Prominent on the FBI's "What We Investigate" page is a section dubbed "The China Threat," which the agency describes as the "counterintelligence and economic espionage efforts emanating from the government of China and the Chinese Communist Party" that have become the FBI's "top...
FBI Director on Capitol Riot:
We've Found No Antifa Link
Mar 2, 2021 12:48 PM CST
FBI Director on Capitol Riot: We've Found No Antifa Link
Christopher Wray called the attack 'domestic terrorism'
- FBI Director Chris Wray categorized the Jan. 6 Capitol riots as "domestic terrorism," but made clear that the bureau has no evidence it came at the hands of far-left violent extremists. "We have not to date seen any evidence of anarchist violent extremists or people subscribed to...
Democrats Want FBI
to Investigate Trump Call
Jan 4, 2021 3:00 PM CST
Democrats Want FBI to Investigate Trump Call
'The evidence of election fraud by Mr. Trump is now in broad daylight'
- Experts have called President Trump's phone call to Georgia's secretary of state legally murky —but a few congressional Democrats say it was clearly criminal. In a letter to FBI Director Christopher Wray sent Monday, Reps. Ted Lieu and Kathleen Rice called for an "immediate criminal investigation"...
Calls for Fauci's
'Head on a Pike'
Nov 6, 2020 12:42 AM CST
Steve Bannon Calls for Fauci's 'Head on a Pike'
His podcast account has been permanently banned from Twitter
- Steve Bannon's podcast has been permanently banned from Twitter after President Trump's former White House chief strategist called for the beheading of Dr. Anthony Fauci and FBI Director Christopher Wray. Bannon, on his "War Room" YouTube podcast Thursday, was discussing what he thinks should happen should Trump...
Talking About Giving
FBI Chief the Boot
Oct 22, 2020 7:50 AM CDT
Sources: Trump Talking About Giving FBI Chief the Boot
President reportedly wants a repeat of what happened in 2016
- Washington is "abuzz" about FBI Director Christopher Wray's potential dismissal, reports the AP , and a new report from the
digs in. The
sources say President Trump has toyed with the idea of firing Wray after Election Day over his disappointment that Wray and Attorney...
Sep 17, 2020 7:00 PM CDT
FBI Director Weighs In on Antifa
Chris Wray testifies before the House Homeland Security Committee
- FBI Director Chris Wray told lawmakers Thursday that antifa is an ideology, not an organization, delivering testimony that puts him at odds with President Trump, who has said he would designate it a terror group, the AP reports. Wray did not dispute that antifa activists were a serious concern, saying...
FBI Director Issues
Jul 8, 2020 1:51 AM CDT
FBI Director Issues Strong Warnings About China
Christopher Wray calls it the 'greatest long-term threat' to the US
- The greatest long-term threat to the US? China, according to FBI Director Christopher Wray. In a speech to Washington's Hudson Institute on Tuesday, he said "the stakes could not be higher" when it comes to China and its acts of espionage, cyberattacks, data and monetary theft, and acts...
FBI Director Orders Review
to Seek Out 'Misconduct'
May 23, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
FBI Director Orders Review to Seek Out 'Misconduct'
Christopher Wray delves into the Michael Flynn investigation
- The controversial FBI investigation into Michael Flynn has triggered yet another review—this one by the agency itself, the
reports. FBI Director Christopher Wray, who ordered the internal review, said it will try to "determine whether any current employees engaged in misconduct" and assess whether "improvements...
Trump, FBI Director Clash
on Watchdog Report
Dec 10, 2019 9:20 AM CST
Trump, FBI Director Clash on Watchdog Report
'With that kind of attitude, he will never be able to fix the FBI': Trump
- President Trump seems to be ignoring the facts laid out in Monday's Justice Department inspector general's report , which disputed his claim that the FBI probe into possible collusion between his 2016 campaign and Russia was illegal and motivated by political bias. The report's findings are "far...
US Hits Huawei, CFO
With Criminal Charges
Jan 28, 2019 7:00 PM CST
US Hits Huawei, CFO With Criminal Charges
How this affects the US-China trade war will remain to be seen
- The US Department of Justice unsealed a 13-count indictment against Chinese tech giant Huawei on Monday, including against two of its affiliates and its chief financial officer, the AP and Fox News report. The felony charges, which came in the form of two separate indictments—one a 10-count grand jury...
Faces Calls to
Feb 16, 2018 5:58 PM CST
FBI Director Faces Calls to Resign Over School Shooting
Florida Gov. Rick Scott says 'unacceptable' FBI ignored warning about shooting suspect
- The Republican governor of Florida is calling for the resignation of FBI Director Christopher Wray in the wake of the FBI's admission it ignored a warning about the man suspected of killing 17 people in Wednesdays' school shooting in Parkland, CBS News reports. "Seventeen innocent people are dead...
Rob Porter Problem
Feb 13, 2018 1:05 PM CST
FBI Chief Just Worsened White House's Rob Porter Problem
Christopher Wray's account differs with the White House version of events
- The Rob Porter saga re-emerged front and center in Washington on Tuesday, as FBI chief Christopher Wray testified before a Senate panel. The upshot is that Wray's account suggests the White House was warned about Porter's background months before it has previously acknowledged, reports
. Porter resigned...
All Eyes on FBI Chief Wray
in Wake of Memo's Release
Feb 2, 2018 11:39 AM CST
All Eyes on FBI Chief Wray in Wake of Memo's Release
White House aides were nervous he would quit, though his allies doubt he will
- The controversial memo released Friday has put one key player "in a bind," as Politico puts it. That would be FBI Director Christopher Wray, who will have 35,000 FBI employees watching his reaction after the memo on alleged surveillance abuses was revealed to the public despite his...
Countering Trump's Attacks,
FBI Director Backs the 'Brave'
Dec 7, 2017 12:05 PM CST
Countering Trump's Attacks, FBI Director Backs the 'Brave'
Tens of thousands of agents are 'working their tails off,' says Christopher Wray
- FBI Director Christopher Wray on Thursday countered strident attacks on his agency by President Trump, saying, "There is no finer institution than the FBI." Wray testified before the House Judiciary Committee as Democrats and Republicans clashed over the significance of Trump's attacks, reports the AP . In a...
Trump's Pick to
Aug 1, 2017 5:15 PM CDT
Senate Confirms Trump's Pick to Head FBI
Christopher Wray confirmed with 92-5 vote
- The Senate on Tuesday confirmed Christopher Wray to lead the FBI, replacing James Comey, who was abruptly fired by President Trump amid the investigation into Russia meddling in last year's presidential election. The vote was 92-5 for Wray, a former high-ranking official in President George W. Bush's Justice...
Trump's FBI Pick:
Nobody Asked Me
for 'Loyalty Oath'
Jul 12, 2017 12:07 PM CDT
Trump's FBI Pick: Nobody Asked Me for 'Loyalty Oath'
Christopher Wray testifies before Senate Judiciary Committee
- President Trump's pick to replace James Comey as head of the FBI appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee Wednesday for his confirmation hearing and testified that his loyalty would be to the law, not to the White House. "No one asked me for any kind of loyalty oath...
for FBI Chief
Jun 7, 2017 8:32 AM CDT
Chris Christie's Attorney Tapped for FBI Chief
Christopher Wray is former DOJ official
- President Trump has tapped criminal defense attorney Christopher A. Wray to head the FBI after James Comey's abrupt firing in May. Given Wray's background in federal law enforcement, the
New York Times
calls it "a safe, mainstream pick" that is likely to soothe those who feared Trump...
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Drought Ruins Crops, Shuts Off Milan's Fountains
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.