Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Offer Reward
Set on Fire
May 26, 2022 8:41 AM CDT
Cops Offer Reward After Chicago's 'Walking Man' Set on Fire
Homeless man Joseph Kromelis, a city fixture for decades, was attacked while sleeping on street
- A homeless man known to Chicago locals for decades as the "Walking Man" was severely burned this week after a brutal attack as he slept on the street. Police say 75-year-old Joseph Kromelis, was lying on the ground in the city's River North neighborhood around 3am Wednesday when...
Tenn. Lawmaker Cites Hitler
as Example for the Homeless
Apr 15, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
Tenn. Lawmaker Cites Hitler as Example for the Homeless
Frank Niceley: After living on streets, Hitler 'went on to lead life that got him in the history books'
- A Republican lawmaker in Tennessee stunned his colleagues Wednesday when he shared the story of a homeless man who turned his life around—Adolf Hitler. During a debate on a bill banning homeless encampments on public property, State Sen. Frank Niceley told lawmakers he "wanted to give a little...
DC Cops Nab Suspect Wanted
for Shooting Homeless Men
Mar 15, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
DC Cops Nab Suspect Wanted for Shooting Homeless Men
Man is in custody in Washington after attacks there, in NYC that left 2 dead, 3 injured
A man is in custody in connection with a series of shootings of homeless men in New York City and Washington, DC. The district's Metropolitan Police Department tweeted that the man was arrested early Tuesday in Washington and was being interrogated by homicide investigators. DC Mayor Muriel Bowser...
Back From Homelessness,
Woman Faced $54K Debt
Dec 29, 2021 4:58 PM CST
Back From Homelessness, Woman Faced $54K Debt
Lori Teresa Yearwood writes that the most vulnerable are punished by fines and fees
- When Lori Teresa Yearwood emerged from homelessness, she wasn't immediately stepping back into a life of independence. She was bound by debt, a pile of fines and fees that she'd incurred over the past two years totaling more than $54,000. In clearing that debt, Yearwood writes in...
Aug 5, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Stroke Ended the All-Star Career of JR Richard
Astros star later overcame homelessness
- JR Richard, a star starting pitcher for the Houston Astros during the 1970s whose career was ended by a stroke, died Wednesday. He was 71, Click2Houston reports. In a statement, the Astros said Richard "will forever be remembered as an intimidating figure on the mound and as one of...
Judge Orders LA to
Provide Shelter for
Everyone on Skid Row
Apr 20, 2021 5:53 PM CDT
Judge Orders LA to Provide Shelter for Everyone on Skid Row
He gives city 180-day deadline
- A federal judge overseeing a sweeping lawsuit about homelessness in Los Angeles on Tuesday ordered the city and county to find shelter for all unhoused residents of Skid Row within 180 days and audit any spending related to the out-of-control crisis of people living on the streets. In a fiery...
Gets Help From
Some Big Names
Dec 9, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Cyndi Lauper's Youth Benefit Gets Help From Some Big Names
Billie Eilish, Dolly Parton, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift, Cher join annual homelessness event
- Taylor Swift, Cher, Billie Eilish, LL Cool J, and Dolly Parton are adding their voices to Cyndi Lauper's annual concert to combat youth homelessness, an issue the "True Colors" singer says has only gotten worse during the pandemic. "You can say, 'Stay home, protect yourself.'...
Waging War on ...
Dec 2, 2020 8:03 AM CST
Portlanders Waging War on ... Port-a-Potties
Units are meant to benefit the homeless population
- Residents of Portland, Ore., should "take a minute to think about what it would be like to not have working plumbing in their homes … before sending profanity-laden threats." That's the message from Heather Hafer, a public information officer, whose initial excitement at $75,000 per month...
For Alex Trebek, $100K
Was Just the Beginning
Jun 27, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
For Alex Trebek, $100K Was Just the Beginning
The 'Jeopardy!' host keeps giving to a cause he believes in
- Alex Trebek showed his support for fighting homelessness in Los Angeles this week by handing over a dazzling $500,000 check, CNN reports. The
host was touring an under-construction shelter in North Hollywood on Tuesday with his wife, Jean, and son Matthew when he surprised his host with the...
Trebek to Special
'I Don't Normally
Mar 3, 2020 6:11 AM CST
Trebek to Special
Guest: 'I Don't Normally Do This'
Show host makes $100K donation to Los Angeles-area homeless shelter
- A most generous gift from the host of
has Vulture asking: "What is just the nicest, sweetest thing we got to read today, Alex?" Per TMZ , Alex Trebek recently toured a new homeless shelter being built by Hope of the Valley Rescue Mission, a nonprofit he's donated...
From Home That
Wasn't Theirs Get
Jan 21, 2020 8:43 AM CST
Moms Booted From Home That Wasn't Theirs Get Good News
Nonprofit land trust to buy Oakland residence from developer, let homeless evicted families back in
- The homeless moms who were booted from a vacant residence in Oakland, Calif., will soon be able to call it home again. The members of activist group Moms 4 Housing had been served an eviction notice by Wedgewood Inc., a developer that specializes in flipping houses, and last week, sheriff'...
Homeless Moms Evicted From
Vacant Home in 'Act of War'
Jan 15, 2020 7:17 AM CST
Homeless Moms Evicted From Vacant Home in 'Act of War'
'This isn't over'
- Four people were arrested Tuesday when Alameda County Sheriff's deputies showed up to evict a group of homeless mothers who'd taken up residence in a vacant home in Oakland, Calif. NBC News and the
report that members of Moms 4 Housing, an activist group trying to...
Homeless, Drawing Outrage
Dec 30, 2019 6:45 PM CST
Officers Mock Homeless, Drawing Outrage
Signs seeking help were taped together in a 'homeless quilt'
- Two police officers in Alabama taped together homeless people's signs seeking help, then posted a photo of what they called the "homeless quilt" online. "Wanna wish everybody in 4th precinct a Merry Christmas, especially our captain," the post on a Mobile officer's personal Facebook page...
Idea to House
Dec 11, 2019 4:15 PM CST
City Official's Idea to House Homeless: Cruise Liner
Oakland's city council president says it could house up to 1,000
- A San Francisco Bay Area city official wants to explore the possibility of using a cruise ship to house up to 1,000 homeless people amid a high cost of living and a shortage of housing, the AP reports. Oakland City Council President Rebecca Kaplan told a council meeting Tuesday...
Apple Puts Its Money Where
California's Housing Crisis Is
Nov 5, 2019 12:11 AM CST
Apple Puts Its Money Where California's Housing Crisis Is
$2.5B plan includes donation of Apple-owned land
- Apple on Monday said it will put up $2.5 billion toward easing California's housing crisis. The sum from Apple eclipses pledges by fellow Silicon Valley giants Google and Facebook for addressing the lack of affordable housing in a region where affluent tech workers have helped drive up the...
the Streets. Now,
4 Dead in Rampage
Oct 5, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
They Were Sleeping on the Streets. Now, 4 Dead in Rampage
Victims believed to have been homeless; 'long metal object' recovered
- Four men who were believed to be homeless were brutally attacked and killed Saturday in a New York City street rampage. New York Police Department Detective Annette Shelton says that a fifth man remained in critical condition Saturday after also being struck with a long metal object that authorities recovered....
Cop Found Her
Singing in the
She's a Viral Hit
Oct 1, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Cop Found Her Singing in the Subway. Now She's a Viral Hit
People want to help Emily Zamourka, a homeless immigrant—but it's complicated
- It's "like the
story, but on social media." That's how a rep for a Los Angeles councilman describes the plight of Emily Zamourka, a homeless woman discovered singing in an empty subway station by an LAPD officer. Zamourka may now have a new lease...
Church Leaders Charged With
Swindling the Homeless
Sep 11, 2019 11:52 AM CDT
Church Leaders Charged With Swindling the Homeless
Federal indictment accuses them of forcing homeless to beg, taking their welfare benefits
- Homeless people drawn in by promises of food and a place to stay got something a little different: stints of forced labor in which they were made to beg for money for up to nine hours a day, six days a week. That was just one of the allegations mentioned...
In Los Angeles, a 'Disaster
of Epic Proportions'
Jun 5, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
In Los Angeles, a 'Disaster of Epic Proportions'
Spike in homelessness tied to increasing rents, lack of affordable housing
- Despite $619 million spent to end homelessness around Los Angeles in 2018, the situation only got worse. Over the last year, the number of people living on the streets, in vehicles, or in shelters rose 12%, to just under 59,000 in Los Angeles County, and climbed 16% to 36,...
Rich Liberals Are Creating
'Unlivable' US Cities
May 23, 2019 1:12 PM CDT
Rich Liberals Are Creating 'Unlivable' US Cities
In 'NYT,' Farhad Manjoo says Dems have a NIMBY attitude that belies their progressive stance
- California is suffering from an "emergency that feels like a dystopian showcase of American inequality." That's the take of Farhad Manjoo in the
New York Times
, who writes that the Golden State is weighed down by a "livability" problem, plagued with a lack of affordable housing,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub, and Police Don't Know Cause
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Lawmaker Makes Gaffe Praising Abortion Decision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.