Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
With Temps in 2023, 'People
Know That Things Are Weird'
Nov 9, 2023 10:05 AM CST
With Temps in 2023, 'People Know That Things Are Weird'
Scientists at Climate Central report that last 12 months were likely hottest in 125K years
- Don't feel like you've accomplished much over the last year? Check this off your list: "You've just lived through Earth's hottest 12 months on record." Not that anyone would want to put that on a T-shirt, but that's how the
Looks to Hit Net Zero
Jul 7, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
Shipping Industry Looks to Hit Net Zero
'By or around 2050,' which environmentalists aren't happy about
- Maritime nations agreed Friday to slash shipping industry emissions to net zero by about 2050 in a deal that several experts and nations say falls short of what's needed to curb warming to agreed temperature limits. Countries at the meeting of the United Nations' International Maritime Organization in London,...
ExxonMobil Set to Square
Off Against Activist Investors
May 31, 2023 7:34 AM CDT
ExxonMobil Set to Square Off Against Activist Investors
Shareholder meeting at Chevron also promises to be contentious over emissions reduction plans
- The fly on the wall at Wednesday's ExxonMobil shareholder meeting is likely to get quite an earful, notably on the topic of climate change. Quartz reports that the oil giant is expecting a battle with some of its more activist-leaning investors, including on multiple proposals regarding carbon emissions that...
2022 Broke All Kinds
of Climate Records
Jan 10, 2023 5:14 PM CST
2022 Broke All Kinds of Climate Records
Overall it was fifth warmest on record, but many places recorded warmest year ever
- Last year shattered all kinds of climatic records, and not in a good way. In parts of western Europe, the Middle East, central Asia, China, and northwest Africa, it was the warmest year on record. Per Axios , that’s a sampling from the EU’s Copernicus Climate Change Service, which...
Experts Warn of Possible 'Taste'
of Crossing Climate Threshold
May 10, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Experts Warn of Possible 'Taste' of Crossing Climate Threshold
There's a 48% chance temps will reach 1.5 degrees C above preindustrial levels before 2026
- The 2015 Paris Agreement lays out the goal to try to limit global warming to a long-term average of 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial levels. But there's already a 48% chance that we'll temporarily breach that limit in one of the next five...
Nov 1, 2021 11:28 AM CDT
Biden Apologizes to World for Trump
He tells UN climate summit US should not have pulled out of Paris accord
- President Biden offered a public apology to a UN climate conference over predecessor Donald Trump’s move to pull the US from the Paris accord. Biden was speaking in Glasgow, Scotland, on Monday where world leaders were gathering to discuss implementing the agreement to contain global warming by mid-century. “...
After 107 Days, US Is
Back in Paris Climate Pact
Feb 19, 2021 2:50 AM CST
After 107 Days, US Is Back in Paris Climate Pact
Return became official on Friday
- The United States is back in the Paris climate accord, just 107 days after it left. While Friday’s return is heavily symbolic, world leaders say they expect America to prove its seriousness after four years of being pretty much absent. They are especially anticipating an announcement from the US...
People Take Issue
With Ted Cruz's
Jan 21, 2021 6:44 AM CST
People Take Issue With Ted Cruz's 'Paris' Tweet
Twitter users quick to point out Paris Agreement isn't about Paris
- Sen. Ted Cruz greeted the start of the Biden administration with a tweet that was critical of one of the president's initial moves: "By rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, President Biden indicates he's more interested in the views of the citizens of Paris than in the jobs...
Paris Accord Has Just
Lost a Big Member
Nov 4, 2020 6:52 AM CST
Paris Accord Has Just Lost a Big Member
United States has formally left Paris Agreement, which is trying to curb global warming
- The United States on Wednesday formally left the Paris Agreement, a global pact forged five years ago to avert the threat of catastrophic climate change. The move, long threatened by President Trump and triggered by his administration a year ago, further isolates the United States in the world but has...
US Is Leaving
Nov 4, 2019 4:45 PM CST
UN Receives Official Word: US Is Leaving Climate Deal
Pompeo issues notice, as environmental experts decry 'historic error'
- The US has told the United Nations it has begun the process of pulling out of the landmark 2015 Paris climate agreement. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday that he submitted a formal notice, the AP reports. That starts a withdrawal process that does not become official for a...
Come Monday, Trump Can Start
to Take US Out of Paris Deal
Nov 3, 2019 11:31 AM CST
Come Monday, Trump Can Start to Take US Out of Paris Deal
Climate change leadership could fall to China
- For the first three years, nations that signed onto the Paris climate agreement couldn't abandon it. That three-year period ends Monday, and President Trump has made his feelings about the deal clear; the State Department confirmed Friday that the US is leaving. The withdrawal process takes a full year,...
US Cities Defy Trump,
Still Back Paris Climate Deal
Nov 11, 2017 2:55 PM CST
US Cities Defy Trump, Still Back Paris Climate Deal
US coalition has economy larger than Japan, Germany combined
- A group of US states, cities, businesses, and universities said Saturday they are still committed to curbing global warming even as the Trump's administration is walking away from the Paris climate accord, the AP reports. But the alliance, which has an economy larger than Japan and Germany combined, says...
Syria's OK on Paris Accord
Leaves US All Alone
Nov 7, 2017 11:30 AM CST
Syria's OK on Paris Accord Leaves US All Alone
United States now only country in the world to oppose climate agreement
- In a move that further isolates the US from the international community, Syria has officially agreed to sign the Paris climate accord. The announcement was made at a climate summit in Germany on Tuesday, reports Politico . That means the US—which will withdraw from the deal on the basis that...
US, Syria Will Soon Be
Only Holdouts on Paris Accord
Sep 21, 2017 4:33 AM CDT
US, Syria Will Soon Be Only Holdouts on Paris Accord
Nicaragua will sign the climate agreement soon
- When President Trump announced earlier this year that the US would pull out of the Paris climate accord, much of the coverage pointed out that only Nicaragua and Syria were also in the "no" camp. That group just got a little smaller: Nicaragua plans to sign the accord, leaving...
Report: US Will Stay in Paris
Climate Agreement After All
Sep 16, 2017 4:44 PM CDT
Report: US Will Stay in Paris Climate Agreement After All
But a White House official says not so fast
- It turns out the US isn't pulling out of the Paris climate agreement after all. Or maybe it is. But it might not. Really it's all a little unclear. In an exclusive report Saturday, the
Wall Street Journal
states a Trump administration official told a room of international...
US Tells UN We Intend to
Get Out of Paris Climate Deal
Aug 5, 2017 5:15 AM CDT
US Tells UN We Intend to Get Out of Paris Climate Deal
But the process hasn't formally begun
- The Trump administration on Friday officially told the United Nations that the US intends to pull out of the 2015 Paris climate pact. But the State Department's announcement doesn't formally start the process of the US getting out of the voluntary agreement. That's still to come. Still,...
Macron: Trump 'Listened
to Me' on Climate Change
Jul 16, 2017 8:33 AM CDT
Macron: Trump 'Listened to Me' on Climate Change
Says Paris charm offensive was choreographed, might soften Trump's stance
- French President Emmanuel Macron says his glamorous Paris charm offensive on President Trump was carefully calculated—and may have changed the US president's mind about climate change, reports the AP . Macron defended his outreach to Trump, whose "America first" policies have elicited worry and disdain in Europe. "...
Jun 7, 2017 5:31 PM CDT
Hawaii Passes Law Committing to Paris Agreement
It's the 1st state in the US to do so
- States are continuing to fight back against President Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement, with Hawaii becoming the first state to pass a law adopting the goals of the accord. NPR reports the bill was signed Tuesday by Gov. David Ige. He was joined by mayors...
Trump of Being
TALK SHOW ROUNDUP
Jun 4, 2017 10:28 AM CDT
Gore Accuses Trump of Being 'Divisive' With London Tweets
Trump criticized and misquoted London mayor in tweet
- Al Gore appeared on CNN's
State of the Union
Sunday to take President Trump to task for criticizing and misquoting London Mayor Sadiq Khan in a tweet while the latter attempts to deal with the aftermath of Saturday's deadly attack. “I don’t think that a major...
Mattis to World:
'Bear With Us'
Jun 3, 2017 1:59 PM CDT
Mattis to World: 'Bear With Us'
Defense secretary says US not 'turning our back' on world
- James Mattis, seeking to calm world leaders Saturday following President Trump's decision to pull out of the Paris climate agreement, urged them to "bear with us," the
reports. The Defense secretary, paraphrasing Winston Churchill, said Americans will do the right thing "once we have exhausted...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.