Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Code of Conduct
Nov 13, 2023 3:54 PM CST
SCOTUS Unveils Code of Conduct
But it doesn't include any means of enforcement
- The Supreme Court released a code of conduct for justices Monday to address what it described as a "misunderstanding" about ethics. A statement signed by all nine justices said that the rules and principle are not new, "for the most part," because the court "has long...
As SCOTUS Returns,
'Get Ready for a Lot of 6-3s'
Oct 3, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
As SCOTUS Returns, 'Get Ready for a Lot of 6-3s'
Court has chosen to take on numerous 'hot-button issues'
- Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson has replaced Justice Stephen Breyer on the Supreme Court, but the 6-3 split between conservative and liberal justices is unchanged—and analysts say the divide will be very apparent this term. The conservative supermajority that overturned Roe v. Wade and issued numerous other controversial rulings earlier...
Man in Prison for Stealing
Syrup Now Told to Pay Millions
Apr 1, 2022 6:27 AM CDT
Man in Prison for Stealing Syrup Now Told to Pay Millions
Richard Vallieres was part of massive scheme that lifted one of country's hottest commodities
- In what may be the most Canadian of crimes yet—and the "stickiest," per the BBC —the nation's high court this week ruled that a "major player" in a scheme to steal a massive amount of maple syrup must pay a $7.2 million fine....
Has Settled On
a Name for
His 3rd Justice
Sep 26, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Sources: Trump Has Settled On a Name for His 3rd Justice
Amy Coney Barrett reportedly will be nominated to fill RBG's Supreme Court seat
- It appears that President Trump has his new Supreme Court nominee. The
, Politico , the
New York Times
, and Axios all report that sources are pointing to federal appeals court judge Amy Coney Barrett as Trump's pick to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a move that would significantly push...
New Bill Limits
to 18 Years
Sep 25, 2020 9:37 AM CDT
New Bill Limits SCOTUS Terms to 18 Years
Democrats plan to introduce it next week
- Under a bill House Democrats are preparing, Ruth Bader Ginsburg would have had to retire in 2011—and William O. Douglas, the longest-serving justice in Supreme Court history, would have stepped down in 1957 instead of 1975. The bill, which Democrats plan to introduce next week, limits the terms of...
Trump Pays Respects to RBG,
and Critics Boo Loudly
Sep 24, 2020 10:14 AM CDT
Trump Pays Respects to RBG, and Critics Boo Loudly
Chants of 'vote him out!' could be heard
- President Trump and first lady Melania paid their respects at the casket of Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Thursday at the Supreme Court, and the president's critics made their feelings about him clear during the moment. Loud boos and chants of "vote him out!" and "honor her...
Trump: Election 'Scam' Will
End Up in Supreme Court
Sep 23, 2020 5:35 PM CDT
Trump: Election 'Scam' Will End Up in Supreme Court
'Having a 4/4 situation is not a good situation'
- President Trump made the stakes in the Supreme Court struggle very clear Wednesday, predicting that the presidential election will end up being settled by the nation's highest court. "I think this will end up in the Supreme Court. And I think it's very important that we have...
Obama Has a Message for
Republican Senators on RBG
Sep 19, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Obama Has a Message for Republican Senators on RBG
Dems remind GOP of their remarks in 2016 on filling an empty SCOTUS seat during election year
- Mitch McConnell vowed late Friday that a vote will be held on President Trump's nominee to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court, who died Friday at 87. But prominent Democrats, including Barack Obama, are pushing back, digging up the remarks of McConnell and other GOP senators from...
SCOTUS Splits 5-4 on
2nd Execution This Week
Jul 16, 2020 2:46 AM CDT
SCOTUS Splits 5-4 on 2nd Execution This Week
Court clears way for execution of Wesley Purkey
- The Supreme Court early Thursday cleared the way for a second federal execution this week. The vote to allow the execution of Wesley Ira Purkey to go forward was 5-4, with the court's four liberal members dissenting, the AP reports. Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote that “proceeding with Purkey’...
With Possible Infection
Jul 14, 2020 5:54 PM CDT
Ginsburg Hospitalized With Possible Infection
Supreme Court says 87-year-old justice is 'resting comfortably'
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is being treated for a possible infection and is expected to stay in the hospital for a few days following a medical procedure, the Supreme Court said in a statement Tuesday. The court said that the 87-year-old Ginsburg went to a hospital in Washington on Monday...
SCOTUS Refuses to Block
Transgender Inmate's Surgery
May 22, 2020 3:31 AM CDT
SCOTUS Refuses to Block Transgender Inmate's Surgery
Idaho asked court to halt preparations for sex reassignment surgery
- The Supreme Court has rejected a request from Idaho prison officials to block sex reassignment surgery for transgender inmate Adree Edmo. The ruling means preparations for the court-ordered surgery can continue, and while the state has asked the court to take up the case for review, the surgery may take...
Supreme Court Hangs Up
After 'Faithless Electors' Case
May 13, 2020 1:43 PM CDT
Supreme Court Hangs Up After 'Faithless Electors' Case
Over 6 days, justices heard 10 cases by phone
- The Supreme Court has hung up the phone. The justices on Wednesday heard their last scheduled cases in that manner, having heard arguments in 10 cases by telephone over six days as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Audio of the arguments was broadcast live, a first for the court....
Supreme Court Divided
Over Trump Tax Returns
May 12, 2020 1:54 PM CDT
Supreme Court Divided Over Trump Tax Returns
Court may reject his claim that he's immune from investigation while in office
- The Supreme Court on Tuesday appeared likely to reject President Trump's claim that he is immune from criminal investigation while in office. But the court seemed less clear about exactly how to handle subpoenas from Congress and the Manhattan district attorney for Trump's tax, bank, and financial records,...
'Remain in Mexico'
Policy Will Continue
Mar 11, 2020 2:06 PM CDT
'Remain in Mexico' Policy Will Continue
SCOTUS allows controversial policy to stay in place for now
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday said it would allow the Trump administration to continue enforcing a policy that makes asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for US court hearings, despite lower court rulings that the policy probably is illegal, the AP reports. The justices' order, over a dissenting vote by Justice Sonia...
With 2 Trump Appointees,
a Big SCOTUS First
Mar 3, 2020 1:04 PM CST
With 2 Trump Appointees, a Big SCOTUS First
Supreme Court will hear first major abortion case with Gorsuch, Kavanaugh on the bench
- In 2016, the Supreme Court struck down a Texas law that required abortion providers have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital. On Wednesday, arguments on a similar law out of Louisiana will be heard by the high court, but with one "major difference," per NBC News : This time...
Big Case for Famous Trail
Hits the Supreme Court
Feb 24, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Big Case for Famous Trail Hits the Supreme Court
Justices to rule on whether an oil pipeline can cross the Appalachian Trail in Virginia
- Arguments in a big environmental case were being heard at the Supreme Court on Monday, a dispute that pits builders of an oil pipeline versus supporters of the Appalachian Trail. We won't get a decision for months, but the ruling has the potential to snarl not just the construction...
Nation Can 'Breathe Freely'
After Ruling on Escalator Case
Nov 30, 2019 8:30 AM CST
Nation Can 'Breathe Freely' After Ruling on Escalator Case
Canada's Supreme Court says cops overstepped in 2009 in detaining woman who wouldn't hold rail
- When Bela Kosoian rode the escalator in a Montreal-area subway station in 2009, she probably never expected to become embroiled in a legal battle that would last for a decade. Kosoian was arrested in the Quebec city of Laval then after police officer Fabio Camacho advised her to hold onto...
Bad News for
Nov 25, 2019 10:05 AM CST
Monday Brings Bad News for Adnan Syed
Murder case that was the subject of 'Serial' podcast won't be heard by Supreme Court
- The highest court in the land has declined to hear Adnan Syed's murder case, but Syed's legal team says this isn't the end of the road for the subject of the
podcast, who was sentenced to life in prison in 2000 for the 1999 murder of...
Supreme Court: Border Wall
Can Be Built With DOD Funds
Jul 27, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
Supreme Court: Border Wall Can Be Built With DOD Funds
$2.5B in Defense Department money can now be tapped by Trump administration for sections of wall
- The Supreme Court cleared the way Friday for the Trump administration to tap billions of dollars in Pentagon funds to build sections of a border wall with Mexico. The court's five conservative justices gave the administration the green light to begin work on four contracts it has awarded using...
She Told Boyfriend
to Die. Now She
Wants to Go to
Jul 9, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
She Told Boyfriend to Die. Now She Wants to Go to Supreme Court
Michelle Carter's lawyers say her 'words alone' shouldn't make her liable for Conrad Roy's death
- Michelle Carter's "words alone" shouldn't be to blame for the death of Conrad Roy. That's the premise her legal team is pushing in a new petition asking the Supreme Court to review her case in her quest to get her involuntary manslaughter conviction overturned, BuzzFeed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.