Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ukrainian Nuclear Plant
Shuts Down Last Reactor
Sep 11, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Ukrainian Nuclear Plant Shuts Down Last Reactor
Reconnected power lines will be used for cooling No. 6, operator says
- The operator of Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia power plant, now held by Russian forces, announced Sunday they're shutting down its last operating reactor. Energoatom said electrical power is again flowing to the plant, which will be used to cool Reactor No. 6, NPR reports. For several days, the reactor has...
Report: Trump Claimed to Have
Inside Info on Macron's Sex Life
Aug 30, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
Report: Trump Claimed to Have Inside Info on Macron's Sex Life
There may be a connection to document seized from Mar-a-Lago
describes Donald Trump as a "notorious gossip peddler"—and it reports that after the FBI search on his Mar-a-Lago estate, some are wondering whether he shared salacious material from intelligence briefings. Sources tell
that during and after his time as president, Trump boasted...
Macron Addresses French Role
in Sending Children to Deaths
Jul 17, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Macron Addresses French Role in Sending Children to Deaths
President denounces Nazi collaborators and promises to end Holocaust denial
- French President Emmanuel Macron decried his Nazi-collaborator predecessors and rising antisemitism, vigorously vowing to stamp out Holocaust denial as he paid homage Sunday to thousands of French children sent to death camps 80 years ago for one reason alone: They were Jewish. Family by family, house by house, French police...
Divided Lawmakers Back
Step Toward Joining EU
Jul 16, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Divided Lawmakers Back Step Toward Joining EU
US endorses plan for North Macedonia to first meet demands by Bulgaria
- After a three-day debate that included protests inside and outside parliament, North Macedonia lawmakers endorsed a plan on Saturday that could put it on a path toward joining the European Union. The compromise brokered by France first would settle a dispute with Bulgaria, which has blocked membership for North Macedonia,...
After Defeat, Macron
to Build a Bloc
Jun 20, 2022 5:52 PM CDT
After Defeat, Macron Faces Pressure to Build a Bloc
Parties at the extremes call for prime minister to resign
: France's opposition parties called on President Emmanuel Macron to assemble a coalition to fill the void after parliamentary elections left him without a majority on Sunday. Macron is unlikely to be able to pass his agenda, Reuters reports, unless he finds support elsewhere. The far right and far...
Russia: First Attack on Kyiv in
Weeks Ruined Donated Tanks
Jun 5, 2022 6:02 AM CDT
Russia: First Attack on Kyiv in Weeks Ruined Donated Tanks
Things had been quiet in the capital for 5 weeks
- Things had largely been quiet in Kyiv in the past five weeks as Russia focused its attacks on Eastern Ukraine's Donbas region. That changed early Sunday. The BBC reports the normalcy that had seemingly begun to return to the capital was shattered by a number of explosions, with Russia...
Jun 4, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Ukraine Argues With Macron on Humiliating Russia
French president had urged leaving a path for diplomacy, which didn't impress Ukrainian official
- Ukraine's government made clear Saturday that it doesn't share French President Emmanuel Macron's concern about embarrassing Russia. "We must not humiliate Russia so that the day when the fighting stops we can build an exit ramp through diplomatic means," Macron had said in an interview...
Pressured to Negotiate,
Putin Warns About Sanctions
May 28, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Pressured to Negotiate, Putin Warns About Sanctions
Macron, Scholz hold 80-minute call with Russian leader
- In an 80-minute phone call Saturday, the leaders of Germany and France pressed Russian President Vladimir Putin to begin "serious negotiations" with Ukraine to end the fighting. German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and French President Emmanuel Macron "insisted on an immediate ceasefire and a withdrawal of Russian troops,"...
At Inauguration, Macron
Suggests 'New Method' of Rule
May 7, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
At Inauguration, Macron Suggests 'New Method' of Rule
Easing France's social tensions is among the goals listed for a second term
- French President Emmanuel Macron was inaugurated for a second term on Saturday, vowing to take action to avoid any further escalation of Russia's war in Ukraine and promising he would promote France and Europe on the world stage. Macron was reelected for five years after winning the April 24...
May 1, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
Workers' Demonstrations Pressure Governments
Protesters clash with police in cities around the world
- Tens of thousands of people marched Sunday in cities around Europe for May Day protests to honor workers and shame governments into doing more for their citizens. In France, protesters shouted slogans against newly reelected President Emmanuel Macron, a development that may set the tone for his second term, the...
France Reelects Macron
Apr 24, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
France Reelects Macron
Le Pen promises to keep fighting president's policies
- Emmanuel Macron became the first French president to be elected to a second term on Sunday, defeating far-right challenger Marine Le Pen. At closing time for the polls, projections showed the incumbent's winning margin to be about 58% to 42%, Axios reports. Polls during the campaign generally had shown...
World Has Eyes on France
Apr 24, 2022 5:59 AM CDT
World Has Eyes on France
Macron tries to fend off far-right challenge Marine Le Pen in runoff election
- The voting is underway in France , where President Emmanuel Macron hopes to become the first French leader in 20 years to win reelection. The vote, however, is seen as one with potentially huge global implications as well should far-right challenger Marine Le Pen pull off an upset, given her longtime...
Macron Clashes With
Le Pen in Key Debate
Apr 21, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Macron Clashes With Le Pen in Key Debate
Polls show Macron came out on top, though many voters consider him 'arrogant'
- Watching presidential debates and getting rid of incumbents are both popular activities in France, so the stakes were very high for French President Emmanuel Macron in his televised debate against far-right challenger Marine Le Pen on Wednesday night. The second-round face-off is "seen as the time when presidential destinies...
Headscarves Become Sticking
Point in French Election
Apr 15, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Headscarves Become Sticking Point in French Election
Rivals Marine Le Pen, Emmanuel Macron confronted by Muslims ahead of presidential runoff
- Muslim headscarves took center stage in France's presidential campaign Friday amid far-right candidate Marine Le Pen's push to ban them in the country with Western Europe's largest Muslim population. Both she and rival Emmanuel Macron, facing a tightly contested April 24 runoff, were confronted by women in...
Unlike Biden, Macron Still
Won't Use the Word 'Genocide'
Apr 13, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Unlike Biden, Macron Still Won't Use the Word 'Genocide'
The French President doesn't think heightened rhetoric will lead to peace
- French President Emmanual Macron said Wednesday he still prefers the term "war crimes" over "genocide" in reference to events in Ukraine, per the Hill. Macron said he wants to "stop the war and build peace," and he worries such rhetoric will only raise tensions. For his...
Russia: 1K Ukrainian Marines
Put Up White Flag in Mariupol
Apr 13, 2022 6:55 AM CDT
Russia: 1K Ukrainian Marines Put Up White Flag in Mariupol
If true, it would be first major Ukrainian city to fall to Russia since war began
- Russia claims that more than 1,000 Ukrainian marines have surrendered in Mariupol, a development that, if true, would mean Ukraine has lost its first major city since the Russian invasion began, per Reuters . The news comes via Russia's Defense Ministry, which said that 1,026 soldiers from Ukraine'...
France Begins Voting, and
Macron May Be in Trouble
Apr 10, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
France Begins Voting, and Macron May Be in Trouble
Far-right candidate Marine Le Pen has been rising in the polls
- French voters headed to polling stations nationwide Sunday for the first round of the country’s presidential election, one that seemed for months like a shoo-in for French President Emmanuel Macron but is now a toss-up amid a strong challenge from the far right's Marine Le Pen, per the...
Challenger's Surge in France
Worries US, Probably Ukraine
Apr 8, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Challenger's Surge in France Worries US, Probably Ukraine
Marine Le Pen has closed in on Emmanuel Macron as she's toned down her rhetoric
- Prime Minister Viktor Orban declared "a huge victory" this week that will keep him in office as Hungary's prime minister. Now White House officials are beginning to worry that another friend of Putin's could take over a US ally. Polls show that French President Emmanuel Macron and...
Warning After Macron-Putin
Call: 'Worst Is Yet to Come'
Mar 3, 2022 12:21 PM CST
Warning After Macron-Putin Call: 'Worst Is Yet to Come'
Russia is apparently bent on taking all of Ukraine
- France's Emmanuel Macron spoke by phone with Vladimir Putin for about 90 minutes on Thursday, but it yielded no progress on Ukraine. In fact, it appears that Russia is only going to get more aggressive:
“Our analysis of the military operations is that the Russian ambitions
In a Call,
Feb 12, 2022 1:55 PM CST
In a Call, Biden Warns Putin About 'Severe Cost'
Russia says US is overreacting about possibility of Ukraine invasion
- In an hourlong phone call Saturday, President Biden warned Russian President Vladimir Putin that though the US is prepared to keep working toward a diplomatic solution to the impasse over Ukraine, "we are equally prepared for other scenarios." A White House statement said, "President Biden was clear...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
US Has Been Quietly Warning Russia Not to Go Nuclear
Dow Closes at New Low for 2022
Captain Who Fatally Cut Parasail Line Arrested
Taylor Swift Fans Read Between Lines on NFL News
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.