Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Trump Lawsuit Likely to
Follow Familiar Pattern
Sep 21, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Trump Lawsuit Likely to Follow Familiar Pattern
New York AG is 'targeting Trump’s old occupation, not his new one'
- New York's attorney general is suing Donald Trump , along with three of his children and the Trump Organization—but the former president's future is likely to be determined by voters, not lawsuits, Philip Bump writes at the
. He notes that the Letitia James suit, which alleges...
Trump's Former Money Guy
Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Aug 18, 2022 10:42 AM CDT
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Allen Weisselberg, 75, also may have to testify about Trump Organization
- A top executive at former President Trump's family business pleaded guilty Thursday to evading taxes in a deal that could potentially make him a star witness against the company at a fall trial, per the AP . Former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg pleaded guilty to all 15 of the...
Trump's Finance Chief
Expected to Plead Guilty
Aug 16, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
Trump's Finance Chief Expected to Plead Guilty
Allen Weisselberg said to be negotiating plea deal in tax evasion case
- Former President Trump’s longtime finance chief is expected to plead guilty as soon as Thursday in a tax evasion case that is the only criminal prosecution to arise from a long-running investigation into the former president’s company, three people familiar with the matter told the AP . Trump Organization...
President Is Being
Aug 10, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
A Former President Is Being Deposed Today
Former president complains he's 'being attacked from all sides' ahead of NY deposition
- Former President Trump will sit for a deposition —one he has fought for months—on Wednesday as part of the final stage of the New York investigation into the Trump Organization's business practices. For the past three years, New York attorney general Letitia James' lawyers have been investigating...
Judge on Trump's
Where Are All
Apr 30, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Judge on Trump's Contempt Charge: Where Are All the Post-Its?
Trump claims in affidavit he doesn't have docs sought by subpoena; Justice Arthur Engoron rejects that
- Donald Trump's legal team continues to try to get him out of being held in contempt of court , but on Friday, a New York judge wasn't biting. On Monday, Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron held the former president in contempt and ordered him to pay a $10,...
Trump Appeals Decision
to Fine Him $10K Per Day
Apr 27, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Trump Appeals Decision to Fine Him $10K Per Day
New York judge held former president in contempt of court in civil case Monday
As expected, former President Trump has appealed a New York judge's decision to hold him in contempt of court and fine him $10,000 per day for failing to comply with a subpoena for documents in a civil case. The AP reports Trump's lawyer, Alina Habba, argued...
New Prosecutor Takes
Over Trump Fraud Case
Feb 26, 2022 11:15 AM CST
New Prosecutor Takes Over Trump Fraud Case
Susan Hoffinger will now lead the Manhattan DA's team in probe after 2 high-profile resignations
After the resignation this week of two top prosecutors in Manhattan district attorney's criminal investigation of Donald Trump's business practices, a new prosecutor has stepped up to lead the probe. A spokesperson for Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg announced Friday that Susan Hoffinger, who has served in Bragg'...
Unable to Vouch for Work,
Accounting Firm Drops Trump
Feb 14, 2022 5:36 PM CST
Unable to Vouch for Work, Accounting Firm Drops Trump
Mazars says financial statements it compiled with information from company can't be relied on
- At a time when former President Donald Trump and his company are facing investigations into their business practices, they've lost the support of longtime accounting firm Mazars USA. The firm wrote to the Trump Organization last week that it is no longer Mazars' client. The letter also said the...
New York AG:
Evidence of Fraud by
Jan 19, 2022 12:59 AM CST
New York AG: Investigators Found Evidence of Fraud by Trump Organization
Letitia James says authorities haven't yet decided whether to pursue legal action
- The New York attorney general’s office late Tuesday told a court its investigators had uncovered evidence that Donald Trump’s company used “fraudulent or misleading” asset valuations to get loans and tax benefits, the AP reports. The court filing said state authorities haven’t yet decided whether to...
Trump Family Asks Judge
to Quash Subpoenas
Jan 4, 2022 12:01 AM CST
Trump Family Asks Judge to Quash Subpoenas
A decision is not expected for at least a month
Lawyers for Donald Trump and his two eldest children, Ivanka and Donald Jr., asked a judge on Monday night to quash the subpoenas issued to the three Trumps last month. Allowing them to testify in the civil probe would set a "dangerous precedent," their court filing argues,...
Dec 20, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Trump Just Sued New York's Attorney General
He says Letitia James' investigation of him is politically biased
Donald Trump is suing the attorney general of New York over her investigation of his business empire, reports the
New York Times
. The former president says the inquiry by Letitia James violates his constitutional rights because it's politically motivated. "Her mission is guided solely by political animus...
Trump Kicks Off
Double Legal Win
Nov 13, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Trump Kicks Off Weekend With Double Legal Win
Former 'Apprentice' contender drops defamation suit, judge dismisses Michael Cohen complaint
- It was a good day on the legal front Friday for Donald Trump, who saw one lawsuit against him dropped and another one dismissed. CNN reports that Summer Zervos, a former contestant on
who'd filed a defamation complaint in 2017 against Trump after he denied her sexual...
Deal Nears to Take
'Trump' Off DC Hotel
Sep 4, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Deal Nears to Take 'Trump' Off DC Hotel
Under the agreement, a developer would sign up another company to manage the landmark
- Negotiations are underway to rebrand Trump International Hotel in Washington. Under the deal being considered, Axios reports, former President Donald Trump would sell the hotel's leasing rights to a real estate developer. A hotel company would then reach an agreement with the developer to manage the Pennsylvania Avenue hotel—...
Jul 12, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Trump Takes Weisselberg Off Subsidiaries
Chief financial officer remains in main job but is no longer listed as a director at more than 40 entities
- Allen Weisselberg, chief financial officer of the Trump Organization, has lost his officer positions at more than 40 of the corporation's subsidiaries since being indicted on tax fraud charges. The changes began Thursday, the
reports, when British corporate records show Weisselberg was removed as a director of...
Perks Added Up
Jul 5, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
How Weisselberg's Perks Added Up
Trump executive has pleaded not guilty in tax case
- Many employers provide gym memberships or cellphones, or maybe even the use of a company car, as perks for its staff members. Some of the freebies are taxable, some aren't, CNBC reports. But the tax fraud case brought against Allen Weisselberg, the Trump Organization's chief financial officer, lists...
Trump's Longtime Money
Guy Is in the Crosshairs
Jul 1, 2021 1:56 PM CDT
Trump's Longtime Money Guy Is in the Crosshairs
The big question is whether Allen Weisselberg will cooperate with authorities
- Allen Weisselberg, the longtime chief financial officer of the Trump Organization, pleaded not guilty to tax crime charges Thursday afternoon, one day after he and the business were indicted. A lawyer for the company also pleaded not guilty to what prosecutors called a 15-year scheme to defraud the government "...
Trump Organization, CFO
Indicted on Tax Crimes
Jul 1, 2021 12:30 AM CDT
Trump Organization, CFO Indicted on Tax Crimes
Charges expected to be unsealed Thursday
- As expected , a New York grand jury has indicted the Trump Organization and its chief financial officer, sources tell media outlets including NBC News , CBS News , and the
. The charges are expected to be unsealed Thursday afternoon, so the specific alleged crimes are not yet clear. The...
Report: Trump Organization
Will Be Charged Tomorrow
Jun 30, 2021 10:09 AM CDT
Report: Trump Organization Will Be Charged Tomorrow
Organization and CFO are said to be the ones who will be accused of tax-related crimes
- The Manhattan district attorney's office started investigating the Trump Organization three years ago, and sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
the first criminal charges against it will come tomorrow. Those sources say the Trump Organization and Allen Weisselberg, its CFO, will likely be charged Thursday with tax-related crimes. A...
Trump Rally is Revenge Against
GOP Impeachment Voter
Jun 26, 2021 12:44 PM CDT
Trump Rally is Revenge Against GOP Impeachment Voter
The former president, facing investigations, is planning a series of live events
- Former President Donald Trump will return to the rally stage this weekend, holding his first campaign-style event since leaving the White House as he makes good on his pledge to exact revenge on those who voted for his historic second impeachment, the AP reports. Trump's event at Ohio's...
Criminal Charges in Play
for Trump Organization
Jun 25, 2021 4:14 PM CDT
Criminal Charges in Play for Trump Organization
Prosecutors investigating executives' perks could bring a case next week
- For the first time in the Manhattan district attorney's investigation of the Trump Organization, criminal charges are a possibility—maybe as soon as next week. Lawyers for former President Trump have been told that a criminal case is under consideration, the
New York Times
reports. That part of the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.