Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Va. School Board to Pay
Trans Student $1.3M
Aug 29, 2021 4:43 PM CDT
Va. School Board to Pay Trans Student $1.3M
The settlement will cover Gavin Grimm's six years worth of attorney's fees and costs
- The Virginia school board that fought a former student for years has finally agreed to settle. The Gloucester County School Board will turn over $1.3 million to cover attorney's fees after effectively losing their case when the Supreme Court declined to hear it, the
Supreme Court Move
Is a Win for Trans Student
Jun 28, 2021 10:54 AM CDT
Supreme Court Move Is a Win for Trans Student
Justices decide not to wade in on issue of school bathrooms in case of Gavin Grimm
- The Supreme Court said Monday that it wouldn't weigh in on the thorny question of transgender students and school bathrooms. That inaction amounts to a victory for transgender student Gavin Grimm , whose high school in Virginia wouldn't allow him to use the boys bathroom, reports
Aug 26, 2020 4:27 PM CDT
Court: This School Policy Violated the Constitution
Judges rule in favor of transgender rights advocates and Gavin Grimm
- A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that a Virginia school board's transgender bathroom ban is unconstitutional and discriminated against a transgender male student who was barred from using the boys bathrooms in his high school, the AP reports. The ruling is a victory for transgender rights advocates and Gavin...
Feb 17, 2019 11:40 AM CST
Transgender Teen Still Fighting High School Over Transcript
Transgender bathroom ban may end at Va. school, but Gavin Grimm still listed as female on transcript
- For nearly four years, Gavin Grimm has been suing his former school district after it banned him from using the boys bathrooms in high school. The school board in Virginia will finally hold a public hearing Tuesday to discuss allowing transgender students to use restrooms that correspond with their gender...
Judge Sides With Transgender
Teen in School Bathroom Case
May 22, 2018 7:08 PM CDT
Judge Sides With Transgender Teen in School Bathroom Case
Gavin Grimm wins after long legal battle
- A federal judge in Virginia has sided with a transgender teen who claims a school board's bathroom policies discriminated against him, the AP reports. US District Court Judge Arenda Wright Allen on Tuesday declined the Gloucester County School Board's request to dismiss the case. Allen found that federal...
Supreme Court Won't Hear
Transgender Teen's Case
Mar 6, 2017 9:18 AM CST
Supreme Court Won't Hear Transgender Teen's Case
It sends it back to a lower court
- A big showdown in the Supreme Court over transgender rights just got pushed off the docket. The court instead has handed a transgender teen's high-profile case back to a lower court, reports the AP . The justices said Monday they have opted not to decide whether a federal anti-discrimination law...
DeVos, Sessions Clashed
Over Transgender Decision
Feb 23, 2017 6:05 AM CST
DeVos, Sessions Clashed Over Transgender Decision
Jackie Evancho asks for Trump meeting
- President Trump's reversal of former President Obama's directive on bathroom use for transgender students caused a clash inside his administration, sources say. GOP insiders tell the
New York Times
that Education Secretary Betsy DeVos clashed with Attorney General Jeff Sessions over the issue and told Trump she opposed...
Popular on Newser
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
As Police Kicked and Beat Him, He Kept Yelling Out One Thing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.