Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pete Buttigieg Gives
Southwest CEO a Warning
Dec 28, 2022 12:04 AM CST
Pete Buttigieg Gives Southwest CEO a Warning
Airline could face fines if legal obligations to customers are not met
- The Department of Transportation had warned it was looking into Southwest Airlines' massive problems over the last few days, and on Tuesday the department's secretary said he's offered a personal warning to the airline's CEO. "I made clear that our department will be holding them accountable...
Senate Joins House in Voting
to Impose Railroad Contract
Dec 1, 2022 3:59 PM CST
Senate Joins House in Voting to Impose Railroad Contract
Legislation prohibiting shutdown goes to Biden for his signature
- The Senate moved quickly Thursday to avert a rail strike that the Biden administration and business leaders warned would have devastating consequences for the nation's economy. The Senate passed a bill to bind rail companies and workers to a proposed settlement that was reached between the rail companies and...
Jul 11, 2022 2:34 AM CDT
Buttigieg: Protesters at Kavanaugh's Dinner A-OK
Transportation secretary sees no issue with protesters outside Morton's
- Protesters gathered outside the Morton's steakhouse in Washington, DC, last week as Brett Kavanaugh dined inside, demanding the Supreme Court justice be kicked out. Pete Buttigieg has no problem with that. The transportation secretary was asked about the issue Sunday on Fox News because his husband Chasten tweeted about...
Buttigieg, Who's Been Stranded,
Warns of Steps Against Airlines
Jun 18, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Buttigieg, Who's Been Stranded, Warns of Steps Against Airlines
Industry bosses say they're working to make sure next holiday weekend has fewer disruptions
- The day after Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg met with airline leaders to quiz them about widespread flight disruptions, his own flight was canceled and he wound up driving from Washington to New York. "That is happening to a lot of people, and that is exactly why we are paying...
Abbott Labs on
May 16, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Buttigieg Goes After Abbott Labs on Baby Formula
Transportation chief, who has infant twins, says the nationwide shortage is 'very personal'
- Parents nationwide are scrambling to find baby formula amid a national shortage, and the issue is familiar to one high-ranking member of the Biden administration. "This is very personal for us," Department of Transportation chief Pete Buttigieg told
Face the Nation
Sunday on CBS. "We've got...
FAA Wants to Fine
Apr 8, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
FAA Wants to Fine Passenger $82K
Another would have to pay $77K after both are accused of biting people on flights
- Two airline passengers accused of biting people on their flights are facing the highest fines ever imposed for bad behavior by the FAA. The agency is seeking a penalty of almost $82,000 against a woman it says fought crew members and other passengers on an American Airlines flight last...
Buttigieg, Harris, and
the Elephant in the Room
Dec 3, 2021 1:02 PM CST
Buttigieg, Harris, and the Elephant in the Room
A trip to trumpet infrastructure instead triggers coverage about their political ambitions
- Vice President Kamala Harris and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg traveled to North Carolina together on Thursday to talk up the administration's infrastructure plans. However, coverage of the trip isn't focusing on roads and bridges, but on the political machinations at play—or at least perceived to be at...
Buttigiegs' Halloween Post
Brings Both Smiles, Concern
Nov 1, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Buttigiegs' Halloween Post Brings Both Smiles, Concern
2-month-old Joseph August, who was a traffic cone for Halloween, was in hospital for the holiday
- A Halloween surprise from the Buttigieg family drew both likes and expressions of support after an Instagram post by the transportation secretary's husband. "Happy Halloween from these #twinfrastructure safety advocates!" Chasten Buttigieg wrote , with one of his accompanying pictures showing Pete Buttigieg as he held one of...
Hits Back at
Oct 18, 2021 2:32 AM CDT
Pete Buttigieg Hits Back at Tucker Carlson
Says he won't apologize for taking paternity leave
- Pete Buttigieg is not apologizing. That's the official word from the transportation secretary after Fox News host Tucker Carlson mocked him for taking paternity leave . "As you might imagine, we're bottle-feeding and doing it at all hours of the day and night," Buttigieg said on CNN'...
Tucker Carlson Mocks
Buttigieg Over Paternity Leave
Oct 15, 2021 2:57 PM CDT
Tucker Carlson Mocks Buttigieg Over Paternity Leave
Transportation secretary back on the job after time off for new twins
- Pete Buttigieg is typically one of the most visible of President Biden's Cabinet members in regard to TV appearances and the like. However, the transportation secretary has been keeping an uncharacteristically low profile of late, and Politico just revealed why: He went on paid paternity leave in August after...
Pete and Chasten Buttigieg
Have 2 Reasons to Celebrate
Sep 5, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Pete and Chasten Buttigieg Have 2 Reasons to Celebrate
The transportation secretary and his husband welcomed a baby boy and girl
- Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and his husband, Chasten, are celebrating the arrival of not one—but two—bundles of joy. The first openly gay person to be confirmed by the Senate for a Cabinet position had shared last month that the couple had become parents after seeking to adopt. "...
Pete and Chasten Buttigieg
Reveal They've Become Parents
Aug 17, 2021 3:16 PM CDT
Pete and Chasten Buttigieg Reveal They've Become Parents
The transportation secretary and his teacher husband had been trying to adopt a baby
- Pete and Chasten Buttigieg are dads! And that’s all we know so far. The transportation secretary formerly known as Mayor Pete tweeted the joyful news, accompanied with gratitude for privacy. “We’re overjoyed to share that we’ve become parents! The process isn’t done yet and we’...
Feds Clear Path
for New Northeast Tunnel
May 29, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Feds Clear Path for New Northeast Tunnel
It will replace the existing Hudson River tunnel connecting NY and NJ
- A planned $11 billion rail tunnel key to train travel up and down the northeastern US received a boost Friday with long sought federal environmental approval. The decision by the Department of Transportation means the project to build a new Hudson River tunnel connecting New York and New Jersey can...
Pete Buttigieg Is Now
in Biden's Cabinet
Feb 2, 2021 12:27 PM CST
Pete Buttigieg Is Now in Biden's Cabinet
Senate confirms former mayor as transportation secretary
- The Senate on Tuesday confirmed Pete Buttigieg as transportation secretary, the first openly gay person to take a Cabinet post, per the AP . Buttigieg, a 39-year-old former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, and Biden’s one-time rival during the Democratic presidential primaries, was approved on a 86-13 vote. Praised by...
Buttigieg's New Job
Makes 'Perfect Sense'
Dec 16, 2020 8:23 AM CST
Buttigieg's New Job Makes 'Perfect Sense'
He'll have ample opportunity to shine as transportation secretary, writes Chris Cillizza
- It's official: President-elect Joe Biden has chosen Pete Buttigieg as his transportation secretary. "I trust Mayor Pete to lead this work with focus, decency, and a bold vision," Biden said Tuesday, per
. But does Buttigieg really want to lead the Transportation Department? "Isn't...
US to Get First Openly
Gay Cabinet Secretary
Dec 15, 2020 1:40 PM CST
US to Get First Openly Gay Cabinet Secretary
Biden will nominate Pete Buttigieg to be transportation secretary
- Another of Joe Biden's former primary foes is getting a key role in the new administration. The president-elect will nominate Pete Buttigieg to serve as transportation secretary, reports CNN . Assuming he's confirmed by the Senate, the 38-year-old former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, will be the first openly...
How 'Mayor Pete'
Became 'Slayer Pete'
Oct 18, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
How 'Mayor Pete' Became 'Slayer Pete'
Pete Buttigieg wins acclaim for his rebuttals on Fox News
- CNN Business called him "savage." The
dubbed him "Slayer Pete." Of all people, Pete Buttigieg—the friendly, clean, cerebral Democratic politician of 2020—is raising eyebrows for his icy put-downs on Fox News. To wit: "I don't know why you would...
Mar 13, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Late Night Gets 'Deeply Weird' Amid Coronavirus
Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Fallon went without studio audience; Pete Buttigieg did, too
- Thursday was "one of the longest days ever," per the
capped off with late-night TV with no studio audiences—just staffers, friends, and family. After a seeming avalanche of cancellations and closings across the nation due to the new coronavirus, Stephen Colbert hosted his CBS
Mayor Pete Will
Mar 9, 2020 12:54 PM CDT
Mayor Pete Will Guest Host
Buttigieg follows up the end of his campaign with some late-night TV
- Now that Pete Buttigieg is out of the 2020 presidential race, he's free to take on slightly more easygoing jobs. Like guest hosting
Jimmy Kimmel Live
, which the former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, will be doing Thursday . "Hopefully some funnier minds than mine will be doing some...
Mar 2, 2020 1:29 PM CST
Buttigieg Campaign Ended With Midnight Call
After South Carolina, candidate told his top advisers he was done
- The 2020 race is changing fast with the departures of Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar , and the post-mortems on those candidacies will be trickling in. Here's a sample of Buttigieg coverage, including a story from Politico that details his campaign's final moments. Buttigieg flew to Georgia Saturday night...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.