Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Justice Dept. Calls Epstein's
2008 Deal 'Poor Judgment'
Nov 12, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Justice Dept. Calls Epstein's 2008 Deal 'Poor Judgment'
But it finds no misconduct on the part of former Labor Secretary Alex Acost, then a prosecutor
- A Justice Department report has found that former Labor Secretary Alex Acosta exercised “poor judgment” in handling an investigation into wealthy financier Jeffrey Epstein when he was a top federal prosecutor in Florida, per the AP . The report is a culmination of an investigation by the Justice Department’s...
As Epstein Awaits Trial in New
York, a New Move by Florida
Aug 7, 2019 6:58 AM CDT
As Epstein Awaits Trial in New York, a New Move by Florida
Governor has ordered state criminal investigation into why Epstein's 2008 plea deal was so cushy
- Jeffrey Epstein was alleged to have sexually abused dozens of teen girls, but in the end he received a deal in Florida that let him plead guilty on lower charges involving just one of those girls. Now the state's governor has ordered a state criminal investigation into why...
Trump Picks Scalia Son
for Labor Secretary
Jul 19, 2019 1:51 AM CDT
Trump Picks Scalia Son for Labor Secretary
Democrats slam choice of Eugene Scalia
- President Trump has picked one of late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's five sons as his next secretary of labor. "I am pleased to announce that it is my intention to nominate Gene Scalia as the new Secretary of Labor," the president tweeted Thursday night. "Gene...
Acosta Is Out
as Labor Secretary
Jul 12, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
Acosta Is Out as Labor Secretary
'I thought the right thing was to step aside,' he says amid Jeffrey Epstein controversy
- Alex Acosta will not weather the storm over the Jeffrey Epstein plea deal he orchestrated 11 years ago. President Trump said Friday that Acosta has resigned as labor secretary, reports CNN . Trump addressed reporters with Acosta at his side, notes
. “I thought the right thing was to...
Former Florida Prosecutor:
Acosta's Account Is 'Wrong'
Jul 11, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Former Florida Prosecutor: Acosta's Account Is 'Wrong'
Barry Krischer pushes back on Acosta's version of what happened with Jeffrey Epstein
- A former Florida state attorney says Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta's account of the plea deal he offered to billionaire sex offender Jeffrey Epstein is "completely wrong." Barry Krischer, who was the state attorney for Palm Beach County from 1993 until 2009, says Acosta is trying to "...
'Unapologetic' Acosta: We
Kept Epstein From Walking Free
Jul 10, 2019 2:46 PM CDT
'Unapologetic' Acosta: We Kept Epstein From Walking Free
Labor Secretary says his relationship with the president remains great
- Labor Secretary Alex Acosta says that when he was a federal prosecutor in Florida, his office got the best deal it could at the time when it came to the secret plea deal offered to Jeffrey Epstein a decade ago in a molestation case. At a news conference Wednesday, the...
Acosta Defends Plea Deal,
and Trump Disses Epstein
Jul 9, 2019 1:30 PM CDT
Acosta Defends Plea Deal, and Trump Disses Epstein
President says they had a 'falling out' years ago and he is 'not a fan'
- The ugly Jeffrey Epstein case involving allegations of sex with underage girls continued to reverberate Tuesday, with Labor Secretary Alex Acosta defending the controversial plea deal he helped orchestrate in 2008 and President Trump distancing himself from the imprisoned financier. Developments:
The president told reporters he knew Epstein years
Pelosi Says Labor
Secretary Must Resign
Jul 9, 2019 11:21 AM CDT
Pelosi Says Labor Secretary Must Resign
House Speaker criticizes 'unconscionable' plea deal for Jeffrey Epstein
- Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta "must step down." That's the opinion of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi following federal sex-trafficking charges against billionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein, who escaped a life sentence as part of a 2008 plea deal Acosta orchestrated while US attorney in Miami. Epstein avoided federal charges...
What Trump's Labor
Secretary Had to Do With
Billionaire Pedophile's Deal
Nov 28, 2018 7:27 PM CST
What Trump's Labor Secretary Had to Do With Billionaire Pedophile's Deal
'Miami Herald' takes deep dive into Alexander Acosta's involvement with Jeffrey Epstein
- It's long been known that billionaire financial adviser Jeffrey Epstein got a sweet plea deal from Florida prosecutors, serving just 13 months in a private wing of the county jail followed by a year of house arrest rather than the massive sentence he could have faced had he been...
Trump Announces His
New Labor Secretary Pick
Feb 16, 2017 12:02 PM CST
Trump Announces His New Labor Secretary Pick
It's Alexander Acosta, former NLRB member
- A day after Andrew Puzder withdrew his name from consideration as Labor secretary, President Trump has announced his replacement pick, Reuters reports. Trump will nominate Alexander Acosta, who served as assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division under former President George W. Bush and has also served as a...
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.