Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Researchers' Killer Later Died
in Murder-Suicide: Prosecutors
Oct 27, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Researchers' Killer Later Died in Murder-Suicide: Prosecutors
Investigators had hoped Alexa would provide answers in Kansas City case
: Prosecutors in Kansas City said Thursday that the killer of two South American medical researchers has died in a murder-suicide. In a statement, officials said Kevin Ray Moore, 42, killed the two and then set their apartment on fire. Moore was found dead in a car near Worlds of...
Mom: My Girl
Asked Alexa a
Dec 28, 2021 12:10 PM CST
Mom: My Girl Asked Alexa a Question, Got Dangerous Reply
When asked to suggest a challenge, Alexa told her to touch penny to exposed prongs
- Ask Alexa to tell you a joke and she'll comply. Ask her to give you a challenge and she could seriously harm you—or so claims the mom of a 10-year-old girl. Kristin Livdahl wrote on Twitter that she and her daughter were making a day of crummy weather...
Author Thinks He's Found
the Voice of Alexa
May 11, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Author Thinks He's Found the Voice of Alexa
Book identifies her as Nina Rolle of Colorado
- Alexa's real name is Nina. At least, that's the assertion put forth in a new book about Amazon by Brad Stone, reports the
. Stone says the person who voices the company's virtual assistant is Colorado voice-over artist Nina Rolle. Neither Rolle nor Amazon is confirming or...
Woman Dying of Coronavirus
Asked Alexa for Help 40 Times
Apr 9, 2020 3:32 AM CDT
Woman Dying of Coronavirus Asked Alexa for Help 40 Times
'Oh, Alexa, I'm going to hurt'
- A Michigan woman dying from COVID-19 asked Amazon's Alexa for help at least 40 times in her final days, her sister says. LouAnn Dagen, one of 31 residents at the Metron nursing home in Cedar Springs to test positive for coronavirus, repeatedly asked the virtual assistant for help managing...
Young Children Ask Alexa
for Toys. Guess Who Pays
Dec 22, 2019 12:00 PM CST
Young Children Ask Alexa for Toys. Guess Who Pays
Parents find out the hard way that you don't need to spell to order
- Children too young to spell are finding Alexa to be more efficient than Santa Claus: They're asking her to find the items on their wish lists and tapping "buy" on their parents' devices. That means moms and dads now have to find ways to block the little hackers....
Alexa Gets Emotional
Nov 27, 2019 7:05 PM CST
Alexa Gets Emotional
Amazon lets developers use 'happy/excited' and 'disappointed/empathetic' tones
- If you thought HAL 9000 got emotional , check out Alexa—who now has three levels of excitement and three of disappointment added to her somewhat robotic voice, GeekWire reports. On Tuesday, Amazon said developers can have Alexa reply to US users in "happy/excited" or "disappointed/empathetic" intonations. "For...
Nov 3, 2019 9:35 AM CST
After Death, Police Want Answers— From Alexa
Amazon turns over recordings from couple's home
- Police trying to figure out how a fight between a Florida couple ended with a woman dead, a spear in her chest, are analyzing recordings to see if the Amazon Echo Dot smart speakers in their home hold the answer. Sylvia Galva Crespo, 32, was killed at her home in...
Gets Its First
Sep 26, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Amazon Alexa Gets Its First Celebrity Voice
Samuel L. Jackson will come in a clean or explicit version
- If Alexa's normal voice is too soothing and bland, you'll soon be able to have Samuel L. Jackson cursing at you instead, if that's to your liking. Per
, Amazon announced a slew of new products and services on Wednesday, and among them was a notice...
Dec 20, 2018 6:05 PM CST
Amazon Sends Guy Alexa's Recordings From Another Home
- After a man in Germany contacted Amazon to request a copy of any data the company had collected on him—his right under the EU's General Data Protection Regulation, Gizmodo notes—he was surprised to receive 1,700 audio files in response. Why? Because he doesn't use Alexa,...
Amazon's Alexa Appears
to Be Pulling a HAL 9000
Mar 7, 2018 4:29 PM CST
Amazon's Alexa Appears to Be Pulling a HAL 9000
People say digital personal assistant letting out 'creepy laugh' without prompting
- Amazon is "aware" Alexa is laughing at you and is "working to fix it," the Verge reports. Hold on, what? Starting in February, owners of Alexa-enabled devices began reporting laughter coming from their digital personal assistants, occasionally without any sort of prompting whatsoever. "Lying in bed...
Sep 20, 2017 9:02 AM CDT
Coming Soon: Amazon's First Wearable
Smart glasses equipped with Alexa could be out this year: FT
- Amazon has set to work on its first wearable device. With help from Google Glass founder Babak Parviz, whom Amazon hired in 2014, the company is developing smart glasses equipped with the Alexa voice assistant, reports the
. The glasses will reportedly look pretty normal, without a visible screen...
Causes Chaos With
Google Homes, Amazon Echos
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 17, 2017 2:45 PM CDT
Causes Chaos With Google Homes, Amazon Echos
'Episode has set my Amazon Alexa off about 15 times so far. Had to unplug it'
- The 21st season of
debuted Wednesday, and it seems technology has finally advanced enough to pull Cartman and company's foul-mouthed antics out of the TV and into America's living rooms. In Wednesday's episode, "White People Renovating Houses," characters repeatedly yelled commands at Amazon...
New Starbucks Gimmick:
'Alexa' Will Place Your Order
Jan 30, 2017 8:04 PM CST
New Starbucks Gimmick: 'Alexa' Will Place Your Order
Customers can order at home, pick it up
- Starbucks is trying to make it as easy as possible for its digital customers to drink up. The chain on Monday began testing My Starbucks barista, a platform that lets customers order by voice through their phones, pay remotely, then swing by a store to pick them up, reports the...
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.