Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Trump travel ban
Stories 1 - 20 |
House Answers Trump's
Travel Ban With Bill
Apr 21, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
House Answers Trump's Travel Ban With Bill
Biden administration backs curbs on presidential power
- The Democratic-led House passed legislation Wednesday designed to constrain a president's power to limit entry to the US, a response to former President Trump's travel ban covering five Muslim-majority countries. President Biden reversed the travel restrictions in one of his first moves in office, easing limits on Iran,...
The White House Bans Travel
From Yet Another Country
May 24, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
The White House Bans Travel From Yet Another Country
Latin America's hardest-hit country makes the list
- The White House on Sunday broadened its travel ban against countries hard-hit by the coronavirus by denying admission to foreigners who have been in Brazil during the two-week period before they hoped to enter the US, the AP reports. President Trump had already banned travel from the United Kingdom, Europe,...
New Travel Ban
Feb 1, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Trump Issues New Travel Ban
But critics decry the move as racist or nakedly political
- President Trump has expanded his 2017 travel ban to include six more countries with sizeable Muslim populations,
reports. Announced Friday, the new plan will block overseas visas for nationals of Nigeria, Myanmar, Kyrgyzstan, and Eritrea, and keep people from Tanzania and Sudan from entering America via the diversity...
White House Works on
Broader Travel Ban
Jan 10, 2020 4:50 PM CST
White House Works on Broader Travel Ban
Seven countries, most of them Muslim, could be added
- The White House is considering dramatically expanding its much-litigated travel ban to additional countries amid a renewed election-year focus on immigration by President Trump, according to six people familiar with the deliberations. A document outlining the plans — timed to coincide with the third anniversary of Trump's January 2017...
His Mom Fought Trump's
Travel Ban. Now He's Gone
Dec 29, 2018 5:20 PM CST
His Mom Fought Trump's Travel Ban. Now He's Gone
Abdullah Hassan died at the age of 2
- Mourners at a mosque in California said goodbye Saturday to a 2-year-old boy whose Yemeni mother successfully fought the Trump administration's travel ban to hold the dying boy again in the United States, the AP reports. Abdullah Hassan died Friday at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital in Oakland, where...
Sotomayor Calls Out Trump's
'Unrelenting Attack' on Muslims
Jun 26, 2018 2:07 PM CDT
Sotomayor Calls Out Trump's 'Unrelenting Attack' on Muslims
Travel ban dissent is scathing, but president hails vindication against 'hysterical' critics
- The travel ban stands . So ruled the Supreme Court on Tuesday in a ruling that President Trump was quick to celebrate, reports NBC News . In a statement, he said the decision reaffirms his authority to act in the name of national security, adding that it "is also a moment...
Supreme Court Delivers
Big Win to Trump
Jun 26, 2018 9:37 AM CDT
Supreme Court Delivers Big Win to Trump
Justices uphold his travel ban
- The Supreme Court has just delivered a major victory to President Trump by upholding his travel ban, reports Politico . The justices split 5-4 along the usual lines, with the conservative majority winning the day. The court actually upheld the president's third version of his ban, this one issued last...
On Day 1 of Travel Ban
Case at SCOTUS, Things
Look Good for Trump
Apr 25, 2018 11:50 AM CDT
On Day 1 of Travel Ban Case at SCOTUS, Things Look Good for Trump
Roberts, Kennedy signal support for the policy
- President Donald Trump appears likely to win his travel ban case at the Supreme Court, the AP reports. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Anthony Kennedy both signaled support for the travel policy in arguments Wednesday at the high court. The ban's challengers almost certainly need one of those...
Supreme Court to Decide
on Trump's Travel Ban
Jan 19, 2018 1:21 PM CST
Supreme Court to Decide on Trump's Travel Ban
Justices will hear arguments in April
- The Supreme Court has agreed to decide the legality of the latest version of President Trump's ban on travel to the United States by residents of six majority-Muslim countries. The justices plan to hear arguments in April and issue a final ruling by late June, per the AP . The...
Judge Lifts Trump Ban on
Refugees From 11 Countries
Dec 24, 2017 8:48 AM CST
Judge Lifts Trump Ban on Refugees From 11 Countries
He orders government to process applications for those with family in US
- A federal judge in Seattle on Saturday partially lifted a Trump administration ban on certain refugees after two groups argued that the policy prevented people from some mostly Muslim countries from reuniting with family living legally in the United States, the AP reports. US District Judge James Robart heard arguments...
Supreme Court Allows
Full Travel Ban
Dec 4, 2017 4:07 PM CST
Supreme Court Allows Full Travel Ban
The president can implement his full ban on travelers from eight countries while legal challenges move forward
- The Supreme Court handed Donald Trump a victory today, allowing his administration to enforce its full travel ban while challenges to the law work their way through lower courts. The Court's decision reverses the earlier rulings of two federal judges, both of whom determined the administration could only block...
Things Just Got Tougher
for Refugees From 11
Oct 25, 2017 12:03 AM CDT
Things Just Got Tougher for Refugees From 11 Unnamed Countries
Trump on Tuesday allowed the resumption of refugee admissions into the US
- President Trump on Tuesday allowed the resumption of refugee admissions into the US under new, stricter screening rules but ordered nationals from 11 countries believed to pose higher risk to US national security to face even tougher scrutiny. Officials refused to identify the 11 countries, but said refugee applications from...
Chad's Inclusion in Travel Ban
Blamed on Office Supplies
Oct 19, 2017 7:51 AM CDT
Chad's Inclusion in Travel Ban Blamed on Office Supplies
Passport paper, specifically
- When President Trump added Chad last month to his most recent installment of travel restrictions, everyone from the Pentagon to Chad's leaders to the French government was perplexed. The US has praised Chad's cooperation on counterterrorism, especially its campaign against a vicious Boko Haram insurgency spilling over from...
Latest Version of Trump
Travel Ban Dealt Blow
Oct 17, 2017 5:03 PM CDT
Latest Version of Trump Travel Ban Dealt Blow
Hawaii judge blocks it
- A federal judge in Hawaii blocked the Trump administration Tuesday from enforcing its latest travel ban just hours before it was set to take effect, saying the president's revised order "suffers from precisely the same maladies as its predecessor." It was the third set of travel restrictions...
Supreme Court Cancels Trump
Travel Ban Arguments
Sep 25, 2017 2:57 PM CDT
Supreme Court Cancels Trump Travel Ban Arguments
After Trump rolls out new policy
- The Supreme Court has canceled arguments set for Oct. 10 in the dispute over President Donald Trump's travel ban, after Trump rolled out a new policy Sunday. The unsigned order from the justices Monday asks both sides to weigh in by Oct. 5 about what to do with the...
New Trump Travel Ban
Affects 8 Countries
Sep 25, 2017 12:22 AM CDT
New Trump Travel Ban Affects 8 Countries
N. Korea, Venezuela added to list
- Citizens of eight countries, including North Korea and Venezuela, will face new restrictions on entry to the US under a proclamation signed by President Trump on Sunday that will replace his expiring travel ban. The new rules, which will impact the citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria,...
Sep 22, 2017 12:12 PM CDT
New Travel Ban Rules May Start Sunday
Officials say country-specific restrictions to replace Trump's travel ban
- Earlier this month, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Trump administration on one facet of the president's travel ban—but that may all be moot now, with reports filtering in that the ban on travelers from six Muslim-majority countries may now be supplanted by country-specific restrictions. Sources...
Supreme Court Blocks
Ruling That Eased Refugee Ban
Sep 13, 2017 12:01 AM CDT
Supreme Court Blocks Ruling That Eased Refugee Ban
Order will affect 24K people
- The Supreme Court is allowing the Trump administration to maintain its restrictive policy on refugees. The justices on Tuesday agreed to an administration request to block a lower court ruling that would have eased the refugee ban and allowed up to 24,000 refugees to enter the country before the...
SCOTUS on Trump Travel Ban:
Reinstate Refugee Restrictions
Sep 11, 2017 2:00 PM CDT
SCOTUS on Trump Travel Ban: Reinstate Refugee Restrictions
Supreme Court overturns appellate court's ruling from last week, at least temporarily
- The Trump administration went back to the Supreme Court Monday, asking the justices to continue to allow strict enforcement of a temporary ban on refugees from around the world. The Justice Department's high court filing Monday followed an appeals court ruling last week that would allow up to 24,...
Appeals Court Has Good News
for Grandparents, Refugees
Sep 7, 2017 6:49 PM CDT
Appeals Court Has Good News for Grandparents, Refugees
Court rejects Trump administration's travel ban interpretation
- A federal appeals court on Thursday rejected the Trump administration's limited view of who is allowed into the US under the president's travel ban, saying grandparents, cousins, and similarly close relations of people in the US should not be prevented from coming to the country, the AP reports....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.