Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Bears Ears National Monument
Bears Ears Monument
to Original Size
Oct 8, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Biden Reverting Bears Ears Monument to Original Size
Order will restore protections to 3 monuments cut by Trump
- In what is fast becoming a presidential tradition, President Biden is planning to alter the size of Bears Ears National Monument in Utah. The administration says Biden plans to restore Bears Ears, created by Barack Obama and severely downsized by Donald Trum p, to its original size of 1.36...
In Utah, a Strange Battle
Over 2 Road Names
Mar 7, 2018 5:00 AM CST
In Utah, a Strange Battle Over 2 Road Names
Republicans and Democrats waging battle through proposed road names
- A strange political battle is playing out in Utah over the otherwise humdrum job of naming state roads. The short version is this: Republicans are pushing for "Donald J. Trump Utah National Parks Highway." Democrats threaten to counter with "Stormy Daniels Rampway." As the
Shrinking National Monument
Was About Oil After All: Report
Mar 2, 2018 8:08 PM CST
Shrinking National Monument Was About Oil After All: Report
NYT gets Interior Department emails that contradict Secretary Ryan Zinke
- "Bears Ears isn't really about oil and gas," Interior Department Secretary Ryan Zinke said at a news conference in May 2017. Evidence from over 25,000 pages of department emails obtained by the
New York Times
shows that wasn't necessarily true. Last year President Trump called...
Patagonia Owner Sues Over
Bears Ears: I Won't Let 'Evil' Win
Dec 7, 2017 5:21 AM CST
Patagonia Owner Sues Over Bears Ears: I Won't Let 'Evil' Win
Company sues to keep Trump administration from slashing national monument by 85%
- Go to Patagonia's website and you're greeted with a message Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has deemed "nefarious" : "The President Stole Your Land." The California company is referring to President Trump's move to shrink the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments in Utah, but...
Zinke: Patagonia's Claim
About Trump Is 'Nefarious'
Dec 5, 2017 3:45 PM CST
Zinke: Patagonia's Claim About Trump Is 'Nefarious'
Interior secretary calls it a 'lie'
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is strongly disputing a claim by outdoor retailer Patagonia that President Trump "stole" public land by shrinking two national monuments in Utah. Zinke calls the claim—made in large type on the company's home page—"nefarious, false and a lie." Zinke said...
Stole Your Land'
Dec 5, 2017 6:41 AM CST
Patagonia: 'The President Stole Your Land'
Company is suing to save Utah national monuments
- "The President Stole Your Land," outdoor apparel firm Patagonia declared in a message on its website Monday, hours after President Trump confirmed the shrinking of two national monuments in Utah by around 2 million acres. Patagonia says it plans to sue the Trump administration to halt what it...
In Utah, 2 Huge Monuments
Just Became 5 Small Ones
Dec 4, 2017 1:50 PM CST
In Utah, 2 Huge Monuments Just Became 5 Small Ones
President Trump undoes designations of Obama, Clinton, triggering a legal fight
- President Trump traveled to Utah on Monday and delivered news dreaded by environmentalists and Native American groups but praised by those who accuse the federal government of overreach. Trump announced he is reducing the size of two national monuments spanning millions of acres in Utah—Bears Ears, which was so...
Trump Will Shrink
Oct 27, 2017 4:13 PM CDT
Trump Will Shrink Utah Monuments: Orrin Hatch
Senator says president is taking interior secretary's recommendation
- President Trump is shrinking two national monuments in Utah, accepting the recommendation of Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to reverse protections established by two Democratic presidents, Orrin Hatch said Friday. The Republican senator said he was "incredibly grateful" that Trump called him on Friday to say he is approving Zinke'...
Interior Chief Wants to Shrink
6 National Monuments
Sep 18, 2017 8:55 AM CDT
Interior Chief Wants to Shrink 6 National Monuments
Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante in Utah would be reduced under plan
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is recommending that six of 27 national monuments under review by the Trump administration be reduced in size, with changes to several others proposed, per the AP . A leaked memo from Zinke to President Trump recommends that two Utah monuments—Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante—...
Suggestions in Zinke
Report Would Defeat
'Rock Lickers': GOPer
Aug 25, 2017 3:38 AM CDT
Suggestions in Zinke Report Would Defeat 'Rock Lickers': GOPer
Interior secretary recommends shrinking at least 4 national monuments
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has completed his President Trump-ordered review of 27 national monuments declared by Trump's three predecessors—and while he hasn't recommended abolishing any of them, he tells the AP he has proposed shrinking a "handful" of them. Insiders tell the
New York Times
Interior Secretary Wants
to Shrink National Monument
Jun 13, 2017 5:45 AM CDT
Interior Secretary Wants to Shrink National Monument
Zinke says Bears Ears should be 'right sized'
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has sided with Republican lawmakers, local ranchers, and business interests in the battle over Bears Ears . In a report released Monday, Zinke calls for significant shrinking of the 1.3 million-acre national monument in southeast Utah that former President Obama created in the final weeks of...
Trump Will Order Review of
Bears Ears, Other Monuments
Apr 24, 2017 6:58 PM CDT
Trump Will Order Review of Bears Ears, Other Monuments
He will also sign an executive order aimed at expanding offshore drilling
- President Donald Trump will sign executive orders this week aimed at expanding offshore oil drilling and reviewing national monument designations made by his predecessors, continuing the Republican's assault on Democratic President Barack Obama's environmental legacy. The orders could expand oil drilling in the Arctic and Atlantic oceans and...
With Public Lands at Risk,
Patagonia and Google Act
Mar 7, 2017 8:01 PM CST
With Public Lands at Risk, Patagonia and Google Act
Virtual-reality film series 'total immersion' into Bears Ears National Monument experience
- Republican leaders are trying to turn back the clock on Barack Obama's designation of two national monuments in Utah and Maine. But if outdoors-oriented company Patagonia and Google have anything to do with it, they're going to get the word out that public lands are worthy of being...
GOP Leaders Want Trump
to Undo National Monuments
Mar 6, 2017 12:07 AM CST
GOP Leaders Want Trump to Undo National Monuments
They're not happy about designations in Utah, Maine
- Republican leaders in Maine and Utah are asking President Trump to step into uncharted territory and rescind national monument designations made by his predecessor. The Antiquities Act of 1906 doesn't give the president power to undo a designation, and no president has ever taken such a step. But Trump...
At Utah Rep's Town Hall,
Feb 10, 2017 6:59 AM CST
At Utah Rep's Town Hall, 'Deafening' Boos
'Vote him out,' protesters chanted of Rep. Jason Chaffetz
- The chairman of the House Oversight Committee was met by frequent, deafening boos at a Thursday town hall in Cottonwood Heights, Utah, as constituents grilled him on everything from investigating President Trump's tax returns to Planned Parenthood, reports the AP . A young girl asked Rep. Jason Chaffetz about his...
Utah Rep Wants This to Be
Trump's 20th Executive Action
Feb 5, 2017 4:30 PM CST
Utah Rep Wants This to Be Trump's 20th Executive Action
Rep. Rob Bishop wants the Bears Ears decision reversed
- President Trump has taken 19 executive actions since taking office, the AP reports. Rep. Rob Bishop has a No. 20 in mind. NPR reports on the Utah Republican's push to undo the Bears Ears National Monument created by Barack Obama during his last days in office. It was a...
Obama Protects 1.6M Acres
With Controversial Move
Dec 29, 2016 6:36 AM CST
Obama Protects 1.6M Acres With Controversial Move
Designates 2 monuments in Utah, Nevada
- President Obama has delighted conservationists but angered conservatives with the creation of two more national monuments in the closing weeks of his presidency. The Bears Ears National Monument in Utah and the Gold Butte National Monument in Nevada add huge stretches of desert areas known for sandstone formations and Native...
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Biden Has 'Impossible Speech' to Give
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.