Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Rep Says Elizabeth Holmes
Conned Betsy DeVos' Family
Oct 27, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Rep Says Elizabeth Holmes Conned Betsy DeVos' Family
Wealthy clan doubled Theranos investment to $100M
- Former Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and her billionaire family were among the many people misled by Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes, a rep testified Tuesday. Lisa Peterson, who works on investments for the DeVos family, said she was asked to look into Theranos in 2014 after one of her bosses spoke...
2nd Trump Cabinet
Jan 7, 2021 8:13 PM CST
2nd Trump Cabinet Member Resigns
Education's Betsy DeVos is stepping down
- First Elaine Chao , now Betsy DeVos. Education secretary DeVos became the second member of President Trump's Cabinet to resign over Wednesday's riots in Washington, reports CNBC . DeVos on Thursday night blamed the president in her resignation letter to the president, per the AP . “There is no mistaking...
DeVos Has One Word for
Education Department Staff
Dec 16, 2020 12:43 PM CST
DeVos Has One Word for Education Department Staff
Politico says it has the recording
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos reportedly has one word for the thousands of career employees who will remain with the department during the transition to a Joe Biden administration: "Resist." DeVos gave the directive during a department-wide virtual meeting on Tuesday, Politico reports, citing an unpublished audio recording. "...
Postponed Till 2022
Nov 26, 2020 4:05 PM CST
National Exams Postponed Till 2022
'Nation's report card,' assessing progress of fourth and eighth graders, was scheduled for January
- Because so many students are learning remotely or attending schools that are limiting visitors during the pandemic, nationwide tests for fourth and eighth graders will be delayed until 2022. The math and reading tests had been scheduled for January 2021, per US News and World Report . The National Assessment of...
No In-Person Classes
for Barron Trump: Official
Aug 2, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
No In-Person Classes for Barron Trump: Official
His Maryland county puts the kibosh on private schools
- President Trump's son Barron won't be attending his private school in September after a COVID-19 directive from health officials, Business Insider reports. Travis Gayles—head of public health services in Montgomery County, Maryland—issued a statement Friday that affects St. Andrew's Episcopal School, where Barron is set...
Schools Must Open, DeVos Says
Jul 12, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
Schools Must Open, DeVos Says
CDC's coronavirus guidelines 'are just that,' education secretary says
- Calling the reopening of the nation's schools "not a matter of if" but "a matter of how," Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said Sunday that the students have to get back into the classroom. "Parents are expecting that this fall their kids are going to have...
Advocates Vow to Fight New
Campus Sexual Assault Rules
May 6, 2020 2:42 PM CDT
Advocates Vow to Fight New Campus Sexual Assault Rules
DeVos overhaul gives alleged perpetrators more rights
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has released the department's overhaul of how schools and colleges should handle sexual misconduct complaints—and while some controversial proposals have been watered down, victims' rights groups are still vowing to fight the new rules. Under the new guidelines, which replace some Obama-era policies that...
Judge Holds DeVos in
Contempt Over Student Loans
Oct 25, 2019 9:28 AM CDT
Judge Holds DeVos in Contempt Over Student Loans
Court finds Education Department disregarded order to stop collecting on loans of 16K
- Education Secretary Betsy Devos was held in contempt of court and handed a $100,000 fine Thursday for violating a federal judge's order to stop collecting on certain student loans. The move came after the Education Department was told in May 2018 to stop collecting on the loans of...
Protecting Betsy DeVos
Cost $6.24M This Year
Oct 2, 2019 1:24 AM CDT
Protecting Betsy DeVos Cost $6.24M This Year
Cost will rise to almost $8M next year, according to US Marshals Service
- Providing Education Secretary Betsy DeVos with round-the-clock protection cost $6.24 million in fiscal 2019 and is projected to cost $7.87 million in the new fiscal year that started Tuesday, according to the US Marshals Service. Politico describes the security as "highly unusual," noting that the Education...
Black Government Worker's
Office 'Targeted' in Attack
Aug 24, 2019 2:11 PM CDT
Black Government Worker's Office 'Targeted' in Attack
Betsy DeVos has called for an investigation
- A black employee's office at the US Department of Education has been vandalized in what looks like a racially motivated attack, NBC News reports. The employee hasn't been identified, but her school desegregation poster was damaged and African figurines disfigured. "She had some dolls in her office...
Trump 'Overrides' His 'People'
on Special Olympics Funding
Mar 28, 2019 4:50 PM CDT
Trump 'Overrides' His 'People' on Special Olympics Funding
President backs off on controversial proposal to cut funding
- President Trump announced Thursday that he was backing off a budget request to eliminate funding for the Special Olympics, reversing course after his administration weathered days of criticism for the proposed cut . Speaking to reporters as he left the White House for a rally in Michigan, Trump said he had...
DeVos Grilled on Plan to
Yank Special Olympics Funds
Mar 27, 2019 12:49 PM CDT
DeVos Grilled on Plan to Yank Special Olympics Funds
Education secretary says 'we had to make some difficult decisions' for the next budget
- By her own words, Betsy DeVos thinks the Special Olympics is "an awesome organization"—just not one that should be funded by the federal government. The secretary of education appeared before a House Appropriations subcommittee Tuesday to try to explain nearly $7 billion in suggested cuts to education...
Jul 26, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Vandals Target DeVos' $40M Yacht
It was set adrift, hit dock in Ohio
- Betsy DeVos has another problem on her hands besides the education of US children. A $40 million yacht owned by the education secretary's family crashed into a dock after it was set adrift from an Ohio marina over the weekend, reports the
. Huron police, who are reviewing...
Is Not Going Over Well
Mar 12, 2018 2:47 PM CDT
Interview Is Not Going Over Well
Critics pile on education secretary, and she says her views are misunderstood
- Education secretary Betsy DeVos appeared on
Sunday night, and she's taking much criticism Monday over her answers to questions from Leslie Stahl. In the intro—you can read the interview and see the video via this CBS News link—Stahl notes that DeVos "is dedicated to...
White House Plan: 'Rigorous'
Gun Training for Teachers
Mar 12, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
White House Plan: 'Rigorous' Gun Training for Teachers
Proposals are too NRA-friendly, critics say
- The new White House plan to prevent school shootings doubles down on arming teachers but backs away from gun control measures. The new Justice Department program announced Sunday includes help for states to provide "rigorous firearms training" to teachers and support for military veterans and retired cops who want...
DeVos Graduation Speech
Dec 19, 2017 3:36 AM CST
Students Protest DeVos Graduation Speech
The education secretary got a mixed reception at the University of Baltimore
- Amid boos and applause, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos implored students not to "join in the chorus of conflict," even as dozens turned their backs in protest of her commencement appearance at the University of Baltimore's graduation ceremony. Graduate student Kerrin Smith, 26, said DeVos and Donald Trump...
Student's Sexual Harassment
Suit Invokes Betsy DeVos
Nov 27, 2017 4:40 PM CST
Student's Sexual Harassment Suit Invokes Betsy DeVos
The lawsuit references the education secretary's new campus guidelines
- A male student who was suspended from the University of Vermont this fall after being accused of groping a female student at an off-campus party has sued the school, saying the school's disciplinary system is biased against men, the AP reports. The lawsuit said the case is a perfect...
Policy on Campus
Sep 23, 2017 7:00 AM CDT
White House Reverses Policy on Campus Sex Assaults
Women's rights groups say change will discourage reports
- The Trump administration on Friday scrapped Obama-era guidance on investigating campus sexual assault, replacing it with new instructions that allow universities to require higher standards of evidence when handling complaints, the AP reports. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has said that President Obama's policy had been unfairly skewed against those...
Trump Admin Scraps Obama's
School Sexual Assault Rules
Sep 7, 2017 1:57 PM CDT
Trump Admin Scraps Obama's School Sexual Assault Rules
For being too unfair to the accused
- The Trump administration will do away with the Obama administration's guidance on sexual assault and harassment in schools because, according to Betsy DeVos, it's unfair to students accused of such actions, Politico reports. “Every student accused of sexual misconduct must know that guilt is not predetermined,"...
Dept. of Ed Official: I'm Sorry
for 'Flippant' Remarks on Rape
Jul 13, 2017 5:33 AM CDT
Dept. of Ed Official: I'm Sorry for 'Flippant' Remarks on Rape
Civil rights chief said 90% of accusations 'fall into the category of 'we were both drunk''
- The Education Department's civil rights chief says she's sorry for making "flippant" remarks attributing 90% of campus sexual assault claims to both parties being drunk. Wednesday's apology by Candice Jackson, acting assistant secretary for civil rights, came on the eve of a series of meetings that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.