Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
France Is Still
Jun 22, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
France Is Still 'Obsessed' With Burkinis
Debate is revived after top court upholds ban on garment at public pools
- A French city's attempt to loosen swimwear regulations at public pools has been slapped down by the country's highest administrative court, renewing debate about the "burkini." Last month, officials in Grenoble voted to allow women to wear the garment, which covers everything except the face, hands,...
French High Court Rules
on Town's Burkini Ban
Aug 26, 2016 10:13 AM CDT
French High Court Rules on Town's Burkini Ban
Council of State says women on resort's beaches can wear full-body swimsuit if they want
- France's tussle with the burkini was just dealt a strong blow by the country's top administrative court, which on Friday overturned one resort town's ban against the full-body beachwear, the AP reports. The ruling from the Council of State comes during a summer of high-profile cases along...
Burkini Inventor: Who's Worse,
Taliban or French Politicians?
Aug 24, 2016 6:21 PM CDT
Burkini Inventor: Who's Worse, Taliban or French Politicians?
Aheda Zanetti says she invented the burkini to give women freedom
- The inventor of the burkini believes France and others who want to ban it have fundamentally "misunderstood" what the garment is all about. Aheda Zanetti, writing in the
, says she invented the burkini in 2004 after watching her niece try to play netball in a makeshift skin-covering athletic...
Cops on French Beach Make
Muslim Woman Remove Tunic
Aug 24, 2016 9:27 AM CDT
Cops on French Beach Make Muslim Woman Remove Tunic
Controversy over burkini ban intensifies
- The ban of the body-covering worn by Muslim women known as the burkini at several French beaches seems to grow more controversial by the day. The latest incident to make headlines comes from Cannes, where four police officers surrounded a Muslim woman and forced her to remove a veiled tunic...
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
They Bought 2 Suitcases at Auction. Inside, a Horrific Find
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.