Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent longform news stories on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 26, 2023 8:31 AM CDT
Scorsese Saw Hollywood's Ills at Screening for
'Studio guys' were upset because it clearly would not be a franchise
- Martin Scorsese turns 81 in November, and he's making the rounds to plug his new film
Killers of the Flower Moon
with Leonardo DiCaprio. In a wide-ranging interview with
Scorsese talks about feeling out of step with modern Hollywood. For instance, he rarely goes to Los Angeles anymore...
In the World of Cricket,
a Peculiar Hoax
Sep 24, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
In the World of Cricket, a Peculiar Hoax
'Sports Illustrated' explains how villagers in India created a fake tournament to scam bettors
- A group of men in a remote Indian village put up a makeshift cricket stadium and managed to scam Russian online betters, at least for a while—a tale that reveals how far corruption and match-fixing runs in the "gentleman's sport" as well as online gambling.
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder,
One Pitch at a Time
Sep 24, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Minor-league pitcher Zac Kristofak's mother was murdered by his father when he was a teen
- The Athletic profiles a 25-year-old minor-league pitcher named Zac Kristofak, and it's a safe bet you'll be rooting for him to make the majors after reading. That's not solely because of his pitching, exactly. It has more to do with the tattoo of "D.N.K....
'Open Secret' at Chicken
Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
Sep 23, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
Hannah Dreier reports on it for 'New York Times Magazine'
- He was, according to his hospital paperwork, a 20-year-old man named Francisco. But hospital staffers in rural Virginia were perplexed because the patient in front of them—his arm nearly severed in a gruesome accident at a chicken slaughterhouse—was clearly just a kid. Investigative reporter Hannah Dreier explains the...
She Has Learned What a
Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Sep 23, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Meet an operator for Never Use Alone
- Jessica Blanchard has become an expert in knowing when an overdose is likely to be fatal—all by listening to the person on the other end of the phone line. Writing for Slate , Mary Harris and Aymann Ismail explain Blanchard is an operator for Never Use Alone. It's a...
There's a Rising
Crisis in Giving
Birth in Rural US
Sep 18, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
There's a Rising Crisis in Giving Birth in Rural US
Many maternity centers are closing, leading women to have to travel or depend on alternatives
- A growing number of rural hospitals have shuttered their delivery units, forcing pregnant women to travel for care or face giving birth in an emergency room, reports the AP . Fewer than half of rural hospitals now have maternity units, prompting government officials and families to scramble. One solution gaining ground...
Allowed to Keep
Working at Columbia
Sep 17, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
After Arrest, OB-GYN Was Allowed to Keep Working at Columbia
Robert Hadden got 20 years for abusing women, but it's Ivy League's role that's raising eyebrows
- In July, OB-GYN Robert Hadden was sentenced to 20 years behind bars after being convicted of federal sexual abuse charges, with hundreds of victims reportedly left in his wake. A disturbing new deep dive from ProPublica , however, reveals that the prison sentence came despite, not thanks to, Hadden's employer...
The Friendship Conundrum:
PWIKs vs. PWOKs
Sep 16, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
The Friendship Conundrum: PWIKs vs. PWOKs
Allison P. Davis explores the divide between 'people with kids' and those without
- "I think it's time to discuss the babies in the room," writes Allison P. Davis in
. Her piece explores the divide that occurs among friends when some have kids and others do not. Davis is in the latter camp, by choice. "My close friendships...
One of Putin's
May Be Key in
Sep 11, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
One of Putin's Assassins May Be Key in Prisoner Swap
'Wall Street Journal' explores the world of jailed hit man Vadim Krasikov
- Somewhere in Germany, a Russian by the name of Vadim Krasikov is serving out his life sentence for the brazen execution of a man in a Berlin park crowded with families in 2019. As the
Wall Street Journal
reports, after Krasikov calmly shot his victim multiple times, he bicycled away,...
He Assassinated Her Husband.
They're Friends Now
Sep 10, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
He Assassinated Her Husband. They're Friends Now
'Guardian' tells the story of a widow who agreed to meet with her husband's killer in Spain
- In July 2000, Luis Carrasco stood lookout as a fellow member of his assassination squad executed a perceived enemy inside a crowded cafeteria in Spain. Carrasco and his two partners—the shooter and a getaway driver, though they alternated duties—belonged to the Basque separatist group ETA. The man they...
Live in Fear of
'Bad Jimmy Days'
Sep 7, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Fallon Staffers Live in Fear of 'Bad Jimmy Days'
Article alleges a 'toxic' environment at 'Tonight Show'
magazine is out with a lengthy report that alleges a "toxic" environment on the set of the
Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
. It starts with the host himself, according to the report, which quotes 14 former staffers and two current ones to that effect. On what...
Time to Discuss
Sep 3, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Did You Return Your Shopping Cart? Time to Discuss
A popular YouTube channel confronts those who fail to do so, but is that fair?
- His name is Sebastian Davis, but he is better known to fans on YouTube as the Cart Narc. The 42-year-old has created a popular YouTube channel of that name with a simple premise—he busts people who fail to return grocery carts to their corrals in parking lots and films...
As Our Vision Suffers a Drastic
Decline, a Simple Solution
Sep 2, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
As Our Vision Suffers a Drastic Decline, a Simple Solution
Severe myopia is on the rise, and spending more time outdoors is seen as a remedy
- "The world is going blind," reads the headline at
, and it's not some kind of metaphor. The story by Amit Katwala explains how myopia, or near-sightedness, is on the rise around the world—particularly in Asia. The more severe cases, called high myopia, can lead to...
NY to Revisit Case of Kids Who
Set Out for Concert, Vanished
Aug 30, 2023 2:13 PM CDT
NY to Revisit Case of Kids Who Set Out for Concert, Vanished
'Rolling Stone' looked at the 50-year search for Mitchel Weiser and Bonnie Bickwit
calls them "extraordinary developments" in the wake of its investigation into the 1973 disappearance of Mitchel Weiser, 16, and Bonnie Bickwit, 15. The two New Yorkers set out for the Summer Jam concert and vanished—and now Gov. Kathy Hochul has told the State Police to...
'This Is a Crisis'
Aug 29, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
America's Groundwater Situation: 'This Is a Crisis'
'New York Times' investigation details how we're draining it across the country at an alarming rate
- Remember when Phoenix limited new construction earlier this year because there wasn't enough water to support the new homes? A
New York Times
investigation of America's groundwater situation suggests we'll be seeing more stories like that, and not only in desert states. The problem spans the country,...
for Elon Musk's
Aug 27, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
There Is Little Precedent for Elon Musk's World Sway
Ronan Farrow suggests in 'New Yorker' that he has what amounts to 'shadow rule' in US government
- "The meddling of oligarchs and other monied interests in the fate of nations is not new," observes Ronan Farrow in the
. But Elon Musk is in a league of his own, he adds. Farrow's deep dive into Musk's life and career begins with a...
'They Were Among
Aug 27, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
'They Were Among the Wealthiest Murder Victims in History'
'Bloomberg Businessweek' revisits the case of Barry and Honey Sherman
- "They were among the wealthiest murder victims in history." And nearly six years later, the December 2017 murders of Barry and Honey Sherman have yet to be solved. No suspects have been named, but as Matthew Campbell and Ari Altstedter write for
, police and the private...
I Was Warned in 2018:
'Do Not Get Into That Sub'
Aug 26, 2023 8:50 AM CDT
I Was Warned in 2018: 'Do Not Get Into That Sub'
Susan Casey shares the years of concerns she heard about OceanGate's Titan
- "But like screaming at the screen, nothing that came out of anyone's mouth made any difference to the ending." So writes Susan Casey in her in-depth look for
about what happened to the Titan submersible. It's a fate, she explains, that she feared since...
Her Name Was
Unique. The Dangers
She Faced Were 'Common'
Aug 20, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
Her Name Was Unique. The Dangers She Faced Were 'Common'
'Washington Post' looks back on coverage of murdered mom, what everyone got wrong
- When Monica Hesse was a young reporter, she covered the story of Unique Harris, a 24-year-old single mom of two young boys who vanished from her DC apartment in October 2010, while she was hosting a sleepover for her kids and their 9-year-old cousin. It was a case that went...
Doctors Must Pay for
Privilege of Getting Paid
Aug 19, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
Doctors Must Pay for Privilege of Getting Paid
ProPublica takes a look at the costly fee imposed by insurers and payment processors
- For those who complain that doctors have a knack for coming up with inventive fees, ProPublica has a shoe-on-the-other-foot narrative that illustrates the shady nature of the healthcare billing industry. It seems that most doctors have to pay a fee for the privilege of getting paid. These days, when insurers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.