Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
LA County Launches
Guaranteed Income Pilot
Apr 2, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
LA County Launches Guaranteed Income Pilot
Applicants for the $1,000-a-month payments need to have been hurt by pandemic
- Los Angeles County is now accepting applications for its $1,000-a-month guaranteed income program. Under the pilot, called Breathe, 1,000 residents will be picked randomly from eligible applicants, KTLA reports. The money will be delivered through a county debit card monthly for three years, with no strings attached, "...
Billionaire to Dole Out $9M in
'Serious Social Experiment'
Jan 8, 2020 9:15 AM CST
Billionaire to Dole Out $9M in 'Serious Social Experiment'
Japanese entrepreneur Yusaku Maezawa wants to see if $9K will make 1K lucky winners happier
- Money supposedly doesn't buy happiness, but a Japanese billionaire thinks it might at least cheer some people up. Just a couple of weeks after Zozo founder Yusaku Maezawa donated more than $18 million to a Japanese city hit hard by a typhoon, the fashion-minded entrepreneur is back in the...
Finland Gave People
Free Cash. Here's What's
Happened So Far
Feb 8, 2019 10:56 AM CST
Finland Gave People Free Cash. Here's What's Happened So Far
They're not working much more, but they are happier and less stressed
- Finland's basic-income experiment is one year into its two-year trial run, and the results so far are a mixed bag. In a European first, 2,000 or so out-of-work Finnish citizens between the ages of 25 and 58 were guaranteed a monthly tax-free paycheck of about $635 from the...
Finland Ditches Basic
Income; US Is Up Next
Apr 24, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Finland Ditches Basic Income; US Is Up Next
A trial is set to take place in America in 2 states
- It looks like universal basic income won't get the green light in Finland. A little more than a year into a two-year trial, the Finnish government says it won't expand an experiment that sees 2,000 unemployed Finns paid $685 per month in basic income , rather than financial...
eBay Founder Invests $500K
to Test Theory on Income
Feb 12, 2017 3:00 PM CST
eBay Founder Invests $500K to Test Theory on Income
Charity arm will give money to poor in Kenya for 12 years
- The concept of basic income is a simple idea: Impoverished people receive a fixed amount of money on a regular basis to pay for necessities such as food, clothing, and housing. While the limited research available suggests that it can provide a host of benefits—lowering drug and alcohol abuse,...
Pay People $1,100 a Month
in case you missed it
Jan 2, 2016 11:25 AM CST
31-Year-Old's Experiment: Pay People $1,100 a Month
Basic income has no strings attached
- "If you were handed $1,100 a month, would you amount to anything?" So asks the
Los Angeles Times
in a Sunday headline atop a piece about a unique experiment underway in Germany. Michael Bohmeyer, a 31-year-old Internet entrepreneur in Berlin, is behind Mein Grundeinkommen (My Basic Income), which,...
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.