Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Adnan Syed's Murder
Conviction Is Reinstated
Mar 28, 2023 1:52 PM CDT
Adnan Syed's Murder Conviction Is Reinstated
It's unclear whether he will have to return to prison before new hearing
- Adnan Syed's high-profile legal saga is not over yet. An appellate court in Maryland on Tuesday reinstated the murder conviction of the man made famous by the
podcast over the 1999 murder of classmate Hae Min Lee, reports the
. A new hearing in the case will...
All Charges Dropped
Against Adnan Syed
Oct 11, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
All Charges Dropped Against Adnan Syed
There will be no retrial for 'Serial' star, who served 23 years for ex Hae Min Lee's murder
- After Adnan Syed's murder conviction was overturned , Sarah Koenig, the one-time host of the
podcast that made his case famous, noted the chance of him facing a retrial was slim . Now it's zero, according to TMZ . The Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office on Tuesday dropped...
Hae Min Lee's 'Disappointed'
Family Files an Appeal
Sep 30, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Hae Min Lee's 'Disappointed' Family Files an Appeal
Her brother says hearing that set subject of 'Serial' podcast free wasn't conducted properly
- Adnan Syed, convicted and imprisoned for more than two decades after his ex-girlfriend, Hae Min Lee, was murdered in 1999, "couldn't believe" his conviction was overturned earlier this month. Neither could Lee's brother, Young Lee, and he's now appealing the decision of Baltimore Circuit Court Judge...
She Made Adnan Syed's Case
Famous—and She's Shocked
Sep 20, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
She Made Adnan Syed's Case Famous—and She's Shocked
Sarah Koenig talks about his surprise release from prison in Baltimore
- The stunning release of Adnan Syed from prison after 20 years seems to have caught everyone by surprise—including the podcaster who made his case famous. "I was shocked,"
host Sarah Koenig tells the
New York Times
of learning last week that prosecutors wanted him released. "...
Adnan Syed 'Couldn't
Believe' His New Fate
Sep 20, 2022 5:46 AM CDT
Adnan Syed 'Couldn't Believe' His New Fate
Hae Min Lee's family says probe should continue, but Syed should remain jailed
- Adnan Syed's attorney says that he told her "he couldn't believe it's real" after a judge overturned his conviction for the 1999 murder of his ex-girlfriend, Hae Min Lee. Syed, whose insistence of his innocence became the subject of many a water cooler debate after his...
Police Think Man Mentioned
Killed Woman in SC
Feb 14, 2020 8:03 AM CST
Police Think Man Mentioned in
Killed Woman in SC
Detectives say DNA links deceased Ronald Lee Moore to 1996 murder
- South Carolina detectives believe they've solved a cold case murder, and you might recognize the name of the alleged perpetrator. Ronald Lee Moore was mentioned in the first season of the
podcast as a possible suspect in the 1999 murder of Baltimore's Hae Min Lee—though Adnan...
Bad News for
Nov 25, 2019 10:05 AM CST
Monday Brings Bad News for Adnan Syed
Murder case that was the subject of 'Serial' podcast won't be heard by Supreme Court
- The highest court in the land has declined to hear Adnan Syed's murder case, but Syed's legal team says this isn't the end of the road for the subject of the
podcast, who was sentenced to life in prison in 2000 for the 1999 murder of...
Defense Lawyers' Group to
Sep 20, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Defense Lawyers' Group to SCOTUS: Hear
Adnan Syed is back in the news
- The National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers has asked the Supreme Court to review the case of a Maryland man convicted of murder in a case chronicled on the podcast
. News outlets report the group filed an amicus brief regarding Adnan Syed, per the AP . The brief says Syed...
'We Are Devastated':
Adnan Syed Dealt Legal Blow
Mar 10, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
'We Are Devastated': Adnan Syed Dealt Legal Blow
Maryland Court of Appeals denies him a new trial in 1999 murder of Hae Min Lee
- Maryland’s highest court doesn't believe Asia McClain could have changed the outcome of Adnan Syed's trial. In a 4-3 ruling, the state's Court of Appeals on Friday reversed a lower court's decision that Syed's murder conviction should be vacated, denying him a new trial....
Returns for Season 3,
With a Significant Change
Sep 5, 2018 12:16 PM CDT
Returns for Season 3, With a Significant Change
It will adopt broader lens, tell multiple stories out of Cleveland criminal courts
is taking on the criminal courts. Breaking from its format for the first two seasons of focusing on a single story, the investigative podcast will follow several cases from inside the Cleveland criminal court system for its third season, per
. Some stories will be wrapped up in...
'Incredible' Decision in
Podcast Subject's Case
Mar 30, 2018 2:20 AM CDT
'Incredible' Decision in
Podcast Subject's Case
Court upholds new trial for Adnan Syed, but prosecutors have another chance to appeal
subject Adnan Syed moved a step closer to a new trial Thursday when Maryland's Court of Special Appeals upheld a 2016 decision to overturn his murder conviction from 2000 and grant him a retrial. Prosecutors, who objected when a lower court vacated the conviction, haven't said whether...
Podcast Is Over,
but Not the
Mar 22, 2017 1:23 PM CDT
Richard Simmons Podcast Is Over, but Not the Controversy
Did it breach the privacy of a man done with the spotlight?
- The popular and controversial "Missing Richard Simmons" podcast is now complete, though the central question of why the fitness celeb abruptly ditched public life in 2014 remains unanswered. Was the podcast an invasion of privacy or fair game? Here's a look at coverage related to that question and...
Before New Trial
Dec 29, 2016 1:16 PM CST
Subject Won't Be Going Free Before New Trial
Judge denies Adnan Syed's request for release on bail
subject Adnan Syed won't be going free before his new trial . Syed, convicted in 2000 of murdering his high school girlfriend Hae Min Lee, had requested to be released on bail after being granted a new trial based in part on evidence and questions raised during the
Wants to Go Free
Before New Trial
Oct 24, 2016 6:01 PM CDT
Subject Adnan Syed Wants to Go Free Before New Trial
His lawyer requests bail
- A defendant awaiting retrial for the slaying of his high school girlfriend and whose story was the center of a popular podcast is asking to be released from prison, the AP reports. Justin Brown, a lawyer representing Adnan Syed, wrote in a motion filed Monday that Syed should be released...
Said She Would Lie
Aug 23, 2016 1:20 AM CDT
Witness Said She Would Lie
They emailed AG about argument from 1999
- An alibi witness for a man whose murder conviction was re-examined in the popular
podcast told two classmates more than 16 years ago she would lie to help him, the Maryland attorney general's office wrote in court filings Monday. Officials wrote that two sisters who were classmates of...
Aug 3, 2016 4:33 AM CDT
State Balks at
Maryland is appealing judge's ruling to give Adnan Syed a new trial
- A Baltimore judge was wrong to consider "a novel standalone claim" about the reliability of cellphone tracking evidence in granting a new trial for a man whose murder conviction was re-examined in the
podcast, the Maryland attorney general's office says. Appealing the decision to retry Adnan Syed,...
Jul 6, 2016 3:24 PM CDT
Host Stunned by 'Longshot' Ruling
Sarah Koenig describes her reaction
- So how did
host Sarah Koenig react when she heard that the subject of her podcast's first season, Adnan Syed, was granted a new trial ? She and
executive producer Julie Snyder were Skyping at the time, "and both of us did exactly the same involuntary...
Jun 30, 2016 4:32 PM CDT
Adnan Syed of
Gets a New Trial
Judge vacates his murder conviction
- Adnan Syed, subject of the
podcast, will get a new trial. On Thursday, a Baltimore judge vacated Syed's murder conviction in the death of his ex-girlfriend, Hae Min Lee, in 2000, and granted his request to be tried again, the
reports. Judge Martin Welch wrote in...
Feb 20, 2016 10:50 AM CST
Bowe Bergdahl Diagnosed With Schizophrenia-like Mental Disorder
'The ball was dropped'
- For the first time, we know what "severe mental disease or defect" Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl may have been suffering from when he decided to walk away from an Army base in Afghanistan in 2009, the
reports. The condition is known as schizotypal personality disorder. It's similar...
Offers an Apology
to Adnan Syed
Feb 10, 2016 11:21 AM CST
Witness Offers an Apology to Adnan Syed
Asia McClain regrets not coming forward to testify sooner
- Now that she's told a court about seeing Adnan Syed at a school library around the time authorities allege he was murdering his ex-girlfriend, alibi witness Asia McClain is speaking directly to the convicted killer. Asked what she would like to say to Syed, McClain tells ABC News , "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.