Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Black Lives Matter
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trooper Kills Black Motorist
Who Tried to Drive Away
Aug 2, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Trooper Kills Black Motorist Who Tried to Drive Away
Coroner rules Ricky Cobb II's shooting death a homicide
- The head of the Minnesota State Patrol on Tuesday said troopers tried to take a man into custody for allegedly violating a restraining order before fatally shooting him as he fled by car. Troopers pulled over 33-year-old Ricky Cobb II, who was Black, for a traffic stop early Monday on...
Jul 26, 2023 6:34 AM CDT
6 Seconds Have Vanished From Aldean Music Video
Footage from BLM protests has been scrubbed from 'Try That in a Small Town' amid backlash
- Jason Aldean may still be defiantly performing his controversial song, "Try That in a Small Town," but the music video for the song is now six seconds shorter. That's because the footage has been "quietly edited" since its initial upload on July 14 to remove references...
Adidas Protests BLM Logo,
Quickly Abandons That
Mar 29, 2023 5:41 AM CDT
Adidas Protests BLM Logo, Quickly Abandons That
Company reverses course fast after claiming 3 yellow stripes too similar to its own
- It took all of 48 hours for Adidas to backtrack on its protest of a Black Lives Matter logo. The company announced Wednesday that it would withdraw its opposition to the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation's trademark application "as soon as possible," Reuters reports. Adidas did...
Protesters 'Kettled' by NYPD
Will Be Paid $21.5K
Mar 1, 2023 5:25 PM CST
Protesters 'Kettled' by NYPD Will Be Paid $21.5K
Black Lives Matter demonstrators were penned in, violently arrested on Bronx street
- Hundreds of peaceful protesters who were violently arrested during a Black Lives Matter protest in New York City could be getting some of the biggest-ever payouts in a class-action mass arrest case. The city has agreed to pay $21,500 to each of around 300 protesters who were penned in...
'They're Trying to
George Floyd Me!'
Jan 13, 2023 8:23 AM CST
'They're Trying to George Floyd Me!'
Keenan Anderson, cousin of BLM co-founder, dead after police tasing incident in Los Angeles
- The cousin of a Black Lives Matter co-founder is dead in Los Angeles after police tased him several times following a car crash. The
IDs the man as 31-year-old Keenan Anderson, a father and high school English teacher visiting from DC. The incident in LA's Venice neighborhood...
Bishop Ostracizes School
Flying BLM, Pride Flags
Jun 17, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Bishop Ostracizes School Flying BLM, Pride Flags
Jesuit school in Massachusetts says displays merely indicate everyone is welcome
- A Roman Catholic bishop in Massachusetts has told a school that displays Black Lives Matter and LGBTQ flags that it can no longer consider itself Catholic. Nor can school grounds host Mass or the sacraments, according to the decree issued Thursday by Bishop Robert McManus of the Diocese of Worcester,...
SCOTUS Declines Case
of Gun-Waving St. Louis Couple
Jun 6, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
SCOTUS Declines Case of Gun-Waving St. Louis Couple
McCloskeys appealed sanctions on law licenses
- The Supreme Court has declined to hear the case of Mark and Patricia McCloskey, the St. Louis couple who pointed guns at Black Lives Matter protesters near their home in 2020. Mark McCloskey—a Republican who is running for a US Senate seat —and his wife are both lawyers,...
Lawsuit Faults USPS Over
Seizure of BLM Masks
Jun 2, 2022 12:11 PM CDT
Lawsuit Faults USPS Over Seizure of BLM Masks
'That's a scary reality that we live in,' says Movement Ink owner René Quiñonez
- The US Postal Service under the Trump administration is accused of improperly seizing packages of face masks with slogans in support of Black Lives Matter in a lawsuit brought by a California screen printer. "The fact that our government can just seize private property—either because of just general...
After Alleged Attacker
Freed, Candidate Says
System Is 'Broken'
Feb 18, 2022 8:30 AM CST
After Alleged Attacker Freed, Candidate Says System Is 'Broken'
Fund co-founded by BLM put up $100K bail after shooting at Craig Greenberg's office
- A Democratic candidate for mayor of Louisville says the fact that the man charged with trying to kill him on Monday was able to walk out of jail on Wednesday shows that "our criminal justice system is clearly broken." Social activist Quintez Brown, 21, was released Wednesday after...
Banksy T-Shirt Supporting
Defendants Draws a Crowd
Dec 11, 2021 2:10 PM CST
Banksy T-Shirt Supporting Defendants Draws a Crowd
Artist puts $33 project on sale before trial over toppling of slave trader's statue
- Hundreds of people lined up Saturday in the English city of Bristol to get the latest work by elusive street artist Banksy—a T-shirt created to help four defendants charged over the toppling of a local statue of a slave trader. The gray shirt features the word Bristol above the...
'Black Pete' at Holiday Event
Nov 13, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Protesters Confront 'Black Pete' at Holiday Event
Demonstrations have gone on for a decade against controversial Dutch sidekick to Santa
- About 100 anti-racism protesters chanted "Kick out Black Pete!" on Saturday at an event where children could meet the Dutch version of Santa Claus and his controversial sidekick. The "Black Pete" character, often played by adults wearing blackface makeup, has sparked a decade of demonstrations and counterdemonstrations...
3 Women Charged in NYC
Restaurant Melee Over COVID
Oct 6, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
3 Women Charged in NYC Restaurant Melee Over COVID
Carmine's says there's no proof its hostess used a racial slur
Three woman who were recorded allegedly attacking a NYC restaurant hostess in a September dust-up over proof of vaccination were arraigned Tuesday on charges of third-degree assault, attempted assault, and harassment. The
New York Post
reports Sally Rechelle Lewis, 49; Kaeita Nkeenge Rankin, 44; Tyonnie Keshay Rankin, 21, could...
NFL OKs These 6 Social
Justice Decals for Helmets
Sep 6, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
NFL OKs These 6 Social Justice Decals for Helmets
As well as slogans to be stenciled on end zones, to support movements against racism, police brutality
- The sports league that once outlawed kneeling during the national anthem is now attempting to pick up more of the social justice mantle. NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy tells the
New York Times
that players will be able to choose from six helmet decals this season bearing one of the following...
School Board Bans
All Political Signs
Aug 12, 2021 6:35 PM CDT
School Board Bans All Political Signs
Next, members will look at rewriting anti-racism policy
- On a 4-3 vote, members of an Oregon school board decided to prohibit signs, flags, and clothing with political messages on district property. The Newberg board members didn't specify what they consider "political," but community members who spoke at the meeting brought up pride flags and Black...
Ends Floor Routine
With BLM Tribute
Jul 26, 2021 2:51 AM CDT
Olympic Gymnast Ends Floor Routine With BLM Tribute
Luciana Alvarado of Costa Rica raised fist in the air, knelt
- The first-ever Costa Rican gymnast to qualify for the Olympics used the end of her floor routine Sunday to make a big statement. Luciana Alvarado, 18, took a knee with one arm behind her back and the other raised in the air with a fist, NBC Olympics reports. (Watch the...
5 Held in Attempted
Killing of BLM Activist
May 26, 2021 11:41 AM CDT
5 Held in Attempted Killing of BLM Activist
Cop says there's no indication Sasha Johnson was targeted
- Five males, including three teenagers, have been arrested in the shooting of a Black Lives Matter activist in London. Sasha Johnson of the Taking the Initiative Party, described as Britain's first Black-led political party, has been fighting for her life in a hospital since she was shot in the...
Shot in Head
May 24, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
Black Lives Matter Activist Sasha Johnson Shot in Head
UK activist is in critical condition
- Prominent Black Lives Matter activist Sasha Johnson was shot in the head in the wee hours of Sunday near a house in London where a party was taking place. The British 27-year-old is in critical condition, the BBC reports. While the Metropolitan Police have not identified Johnson publicly, Johnson is...
Judge Allegedly Tried to
Run Down BLM Protesters
May 18, 2021 4:39 PM CDT
Judge Allegedly Tried to Run Down BLM Protesters
Judge John M. Tyson faces charge of assault with a deadly weapon
- A Black Lives Matter activist in North Carolina says a person who tried to hit protesters with an SUV is a judge—and she is pressing charges against him. Judge John M. Tyson, who is white, has been summoned to appear in court next month to answer to a charge...
Class for Black
Lives Matter Tees
May 10, 2021 9:06 AM CDT
Young Brothers Yanked From Class for Black Lives Matter Tees
Okla. superintendent says 'politics' not allowed at school; mom says Black Lives Matter isn't political
- Two Oklahoma brothers were disciplined at school last week over their Black Lives Matter T-shirts, and their mom is pushing back. Per the
New York Times
, Jordan Herbert first got wind of an alleged violation of dress code policy on April 30, when her 8-year-old son, Ben, was told by...
Bad Situation Gets Worse
for Hollywood Foreign Press
Apr 21, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Bad Situation Gets Worse for Hollywood Foreign Press
Former president booted over email viewed as racist, advisers flee
- The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which puts on the Golden Globes, has expelled a former president after he shared an article that described Black Lives Matter as a "racist hate movement." Philip Berk, who served eight terms as president until 2011, shared the FrontPage Mag article —which...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.