Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Would Like These
Under-30 Picks Back
Dec 4, 2023 10:06 AM CST
Would Like These Under-30 Picks Back
Sam Bankman-Fried leads the way
would like a do-over, please. Specifically, over its annual "30 Under 30" list that celebrates the accomplishments of young entrepreneurs. So many of the honorees have wound up in disgrace over the years that it's become something of a joke, notes Business Insider . (Witness this tweet...
'Pharma Bro' Is Making
Jan 21, 2023 7:45 AM CST
'Pharma Bro' Is Making Headlines Again
FTC wants Martin Shkreli held in contempt for impeding probe into ban on working in industry
- It's been awhile since Martin Shkreli dominated the headlines, but he appears to be making somewhat of a comeback after his release from prison last year. In January 2022, the former pharmaceuticals executive deemed "Pharma Bro" by the media was ordered by a federal judge to return nearly...
Shkreli Released From Prison,
Makes Joke on Facebook
May 18, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
He'll next go to a halfway house at undisclosed New York location
- Martin Shkreli's new abode is a US Bureau of Prisons halfway house somewhere in New York. His lawyer on Wednesday confirmed the 39-year-old, who was convicted of securities fraud in 2017, has been released early from prison. CNBC reports his release from the Allenwood low-security federal correctional institution had...
Judge Just Delivered
2 Big Blows to 'Pharma Bro'
Jan 14, 2022 1:47 PM CST
Judge Just Delivered 2 Big Blows to 'Pharma Bro'
Martin Shkreli ordered to return $64M in profits, is banned from industry for life
- A federal judge on Friday ordered Martin Shkreli to return $64.6 million in profits he and his company reaped from inflating the price of the life-saving drug Daraprim and barred him from participating in the pharmaceutical industry for the rest of his life, per the AP . The ruling by...
Hiked Price of
Settles for $40M
Dec 8, 2021 2:40 AM CST
Company That Hiked Price of Drug 4,000% Settles for $40M
Company once owned by Martin Shkreli settles claims over Daraprim
- A company once owned by “Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli will pay up to $40 million to settle allegations that it jacked up the price of a life-saving medication by roughly 4,000% after obtaining exclusive rights to the drug, the Federal Trade Commission announced Tuesday. The FTC said Vyera...
Owners of Pharma Bro's
Wu-Tang Album Revealed
Oct 20, 2021 1:02 PM CDT
Owners of Pharma Bro's Wu-Tang Album Revealed
The collective PleasrDAO created an NFT as part of the complex deal
We now know where Martin Shkreli's prized Wu-Tang album landed. The collective PleasrDAO took ownership of "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin" in early September, in what the
New York Times
calls a "complex" $4 million deal involving the creation of an NFT through which the...
Nobody Saw This Story
Coming About Martin Shkreli
in case you missed it
Dec 26, 2020 6:55 AM CST
Nobody Saw This Story Coming About Martin Shkreli
Reporter covering him left her job and her husband after falling in love with 'Pharma Bro'
- A story about "Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli is making the rounds on Monday, and it's a doozy. It's an interview in
with former Bloomberg journalist Christie Smythe, who broke the news of his arrest in 2015 and then began corresponding and meeting with Shkreli. Things, as...
More to Say About
Dec 22, 2020 9:35 AM CST
Ex-Journo Has More to Say About Her Shkreli Relationship
Christie Smythe follows up on viral story in 'Elle' about falling in love with 'Pharma Bro'
- Former Bloomberg journalist Christie Smythe's "jaw-dropping" story about falling in love with Martin Shkreli had the internet buzzing on Sunday and Monday, and now she's following up with
, where her tale first appeared. Smythe once more spoke with interviewer Stephanie Clifford, who notes it's been...
Judge Rules No on 'Delusional'
Martin Shkreli Request
May 18, 2020 9:29 AM CDT
Judge Rules No on 'Delusional' Martin Shkreli Request
Convicted 'Pharma Bro' wanted to be let out early to do coronavirus research in NYC
- Martin Shkreli is still serving the seven-year sentence handed down to him in 2017 for defrauding investors, but the convicted pharmaceuticals executive was hoping he'd found a temporary way out. Per the
, attorneys for the man best known as "Pharma Bro" filed a request last month...
Martin Shkreli Has a
Coronavirus Deal for Feds
Apr 7, 2020 1:32 AM CDT
Martin Shkreli Has a Coronavirus Deal for Feds
Let him out of prison for 3 months and he'll do some research
- Disgraced pharmaceutical CEO Martin Shkreli would like to be allowed out of federal prison for three months, pretty please. In return, the so-called "pharma bro" says he'll research treatments for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. "As a successful two-time biopharma entrepreneur, having purchased multiple...
Shkreli Once Again in
Hot Water Over Pricey Drug
Jan 28, 2020 3:09 PM CST
Shkreli Once Again in Hot Water Over Pricey Drug
'Pharma Bro' sued by FTC, New York AG over Daraprim
- Martin Shkreli's original controversy is back in the headlines. The disgraced CEO of Turing Pharmaceuticals first gained infamy back in 2015 when his company jacked the price of Daraprim, a lifesaving drug that treats the parasitic infection toxoplasmosis, by 5,000%. Then he went to prison over an unrelated...
Supreme Court Has
Bad News for Martin Shkreli
Nov 18, 2019 12:18 PM CST
Supreme Court Has Bad News for Martin Shkreli
Justices won't hear appeal of Pharma Bro
- The Supreme Court just squelched "Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli's best hope of avoiding the bulk of his seven-year sentence for securities fraud . The court on Monday rejected Shkreli's request that it hear his appeal, reports CNBC . The 36-year-old began serving his sentence in 2018 and now will...
'Pharma Bro' Files $30M
Lawsuit From Prison
Jun 1, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
'Pharma Bro' Files $30M Lawsuit From Prison
Martin Shkreli is upset over ouster from the company he founded
- Imprisoned pharmaceutical entrepreneur Martin Shkreli sued three executives at a company he started Friday, saying they illegally ousted him and defrauded the company of millions of dollars, the AP reports. The lawsuit was filed Friday in Manhattan federal court. It seeks unspecified damages. Shkreli, 36, was dubbed the Pharma Bro...
Report: 'Pharma Bro' Now
in Solitary Confinement
Apr 2, 2019 2:53 AM CDT
Report: 'Pharma Bro' Now in Solitary Confinement
Move follows claims Shkreli was still running a business
- "Pharma bro" Martin Shkreli is no longer calling the shots at drug company Phoenixus AG—unless he's managed to smuggle a cellphone into solitary confinement. Sources tell
that Shkreli, who is serving a seven-year sentence in federal prison for defrauding investors, was moved to the Special Housing...
You Know Martin Shkreli.
Now Meet 'D Block' and 'Krispy'
Mar 7, 2019 7:31 PM CST
You Know Martin Shkreli. Now Meet 'D Block' and 'Krispy'
Wall Street Journal: He's running company from prison by illegal phone, has bodyguards
- Martin Shkreli is in prison serving a seven-year term for securities fraud, but if you were under the impression that would mean the end of "pharma bro" stories for a while, the
Wall Street Journal
has some news for you: Shkreli is still running the show at drug company...
Is Now in
Apr 18, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Martin Shkreli Is Now in Federal Prison
'Pharma bro' wanted to go to minimum-security camp but was denied
- Martin Shkreli wanted to serve out the remainder of his seven-year sentence at a minimum-security federal camp, but that request was denied and the 35-year-old "pharma bro" was transferred Tuesday to a federal prison in New Jersey. Shkreli, the infamous former pharmaceuticals company head convicted of defrauding hedge-fund investors...
Shkreli Looked Forward to
Psych Test. It Didn't Go Well
in case you missed it
Mar 24, 2018 9:34 AM CDT
Shkreli Looked Forward to Psych Test. It Didn't Go Well
He predicted press would 'squirm' when seeing great results
- The negative headlines keep on coming for Martin Shkreli, even after his seven-year sentence over securities fraud. Newly unredacted court documents show that the 35-year-old thought he'd aced his psychiatric evaluation and hoped it would be made public to show reporters how smart he was, reports CNBC . "I...
Mar 9, 2018 1:51 PM CST
'Pharma Bro' Breaks Down Before 7-Year Prison Sentence
Martin Shkreli sentenced for securities fraud
- It turns out Martin Shkreli was a little off when he predicted he would only spend a few months in a "Club Fed" prison. The
New York Daily News
reports the "Pharma Bro," "international villain," and "most hated person in America" was sentenced to...
'Pharma Bro' Faces
Mar 9, 2018 12:19 AM CST
'Pharma Bro' Faces High-Stakes Sentencing
Prosecutors want Shkreli to get 15 years
- Is "Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli a master manipulator who conned wealthy investors or a misunderstood eccentric who used unconventional means to make those same investors even wealthier? A federal judge in Brooklyn will have to weigh the conflicting portrayals of the former pharmaceutical company CEO on Friday at his...
More Bad News
for 'Pharma Bro'
Mar 5, 2018 2:54 PM CST
More Bad News for 'Pharma Bro'
Judge orders Martin Shkreli to forfeit $7.3M in assets as part of securities fraud punishment
- "Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli will have to forfeit more than $7.3 million in assets that include his one-of-a-kind Wu-Tang Clan album as part of his punishment in his securities fraud case , a judge ruled Monday. US District Judge Kiyo Matsumoto issued the order against the jailed Shkreli four...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.