Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Randy Moss Goes
With Statement Tie
at HOF Induction
Aug 6, 2018 12:41 AM CDT
Randy Moss Goes With Statement Tie at HOF Induction
'I just wanted these family members to know they're not alone'
- Randy Moss spoke for 17 minutes at his NFL Hall of Fame induction ceremony Saturday night—but his tie had even more to say. The wide receiver wore a tie with the names of a dozen black men and women who were killed by police, died in custody, or, in...
Feds Won't Charge Officers
in Freddie Gray Case
Sep 13, 2017 12:00 AM CDT
Feds Won't Charge Officers in Freddie Gray Case
They were involved in death that sparked 2015 protests
- The US Department of Justice won't bring federal charges against six police officers involved in the arrest and death of Freddie Gray, a young black man whose death touched off weeks of protests in Baltimore, the AP reports. The Gray family's attorney says the Justice Department informed him...
Baltimore Black Man
Stopped 30 Times
Never Even Got
Aug 10, 2016 5:33 AM CDT
Baltimore Black Man Stopped 30 Times Never Even Got a Ticket
Feds issue damning report about police discrimination in city
- The Justice Department is out Wednesday with a scathing report on the Baltimore Police Department that accuses the department of routine discrimination against black residents. The report stems from Freddie Gray's death and is seen as the first step toward a formal overhaul of police practices. A sampling of...
Freddie Gray Case
Ends With 0 Convictions
Jul 27, 2016 9:08 AM CDT
Freddie Gray Case Ends With 0 Convictions
Prosecutors dropped charges against 3 remaining officers
- Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby's year of "dogged fighting," as the
puts it, has ended with a score of 0 of 6. The three officers still to stand trial in the death of Freddie Gray on Wednesday saw all charges against them dropped. Three...
in Freddie Gray
Jul 18, 2016 10:57 AM CDT
Shift Commander in Freddie Gray Case Acquitted
Lt. Brian Rice elected for a bench trial
- The highest-ranking officer charged in the death of Freddie Gray has been acquitted of all charges. Circuit Judge Barry Williams—who also acquitted two other Baltimore officers —found Lt. Brian Rice not guilty of involuntary manslaughter, reckless endangerment, and misconduct in office on Monday, reports the
3rd Cop Will be
Tried by Judge,
Not Jury, in
Freddie Gray Death
Jul 5, 2016 2:35 PM CDT
3rd Cop Will be Tried by Judge, Not Jury, in Freddie Gray Death
Two other officers have already been acquitted in bench trials
- After seeing the results of the three previous trials of Baltimore Police officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray , Lt. Brian Rice has decided to be tried by a judge rather than a jury, the
reports. According to WBAL , the two other officers tried in bench trials...
Cops Spark Ire With
Freddie Gray Tweets
Jun 26, 2016 3:30 PM CDT
Cops Spark Ire With Freddie Gray Tweets
Police union's memes get immediate response
- The Baltimore police union is catching flak for a couple of tweets it posted in the wake of a police officer's acquittal last week, the
reports. Officer Caesar Goodson, who drove the police van in which Freddie Gray died in 2015, was found not guilty on all charges...
in Freddie Gray
Case Is Acquitted
Jun 23, 2016 11:02 AM CDT
Police Driver in Freddie Gray Case Is Acquitted
Officer Caesar Goodson found not guilty on all charges
- The Baltimore cop who faced the most serious charges related to the death of Freddie Gray has been acquitted of all charges, reports WJZ . Officer Caesar Goodson was driving the police van in which Gray was riding the day he died, and Goodson faced charges including "second-degree depraved heart...
Got 'Rough Ride'
in Police Van
Jun 9, 2016 1:14 PM CDT
Prosecutor: Freddie Gray Got 'Rough Ride' in Police Van
Officer Caesar Goodson 'negligent' for not securing Gray with seatbelt, calling for help
- A 25-year-old black man got a "rough ride" in the back of a Baltimore police van, critically injuring his spine and causing his death, a prosecutor said Thursday, per the AP . The van driver, Officer Caesar Goodson, is on trial facing second-degree murder, manslaughter, and other charges stemming from...
Freddie Gray Case
May 23, 2016 10:32 AM CDT
Baltimore Cop Acquitted in Freddie Gray Case
Edward Nero cleared by judge in non-jury trial in Baltimore
- He gambled on a non-jury trial, and the decision seems to have paid off for one of the six Baltimore cops accused in the death of Freddie Gray. A judge on Monday acquitted Edward Nero of assault and other charges related to last year's death of Gray, who was...
Tamir Rice Family
to Get $6M From Cleveland
Apr 25, 2016 10:18 AM CDT
Tamir Rice Family to Get $6M From Cleveland
City agrees to settle federal lawsuit over boy's shooting
- The city of Cleveland will pay the family of Tamir Rice $6 million over the boy's fatal shooting in 2014, reports CNN . The payment settles a federal lawsuit filed by the family after a trainee police officer shot and killed Tamir at a city park. Under the settlement—Tamir'...
Court: Freddie Gray
Mar 8, 2016 12:37 PM CST
Court: Freddie Gray Officer Must Testify Against Fellow Cops
It's a 'big victory for the state'
- Baltimore police officer William Porter will have to testify against five fellow officers in connection to the death of Freddie Gray , Maryland's court of appeals ruled Tuesday, in what the
calls a "big victory for the state." Gray was 25 when his spine was severed...
on Police Brutality
Feb 25, 2016 1:59 PM CST
Nails Episode on Police Brutality
Positive reactions flooding in
- On Wednesday night, ABC's
aired a ripped-from-the-headlines show that some might call a "very special episode." The entire half-hour featured the sitcom family sitting in the living room watching the news to see if a police officer would be indicted in a police brutality case. The...
Hung Jury in 1st
Freddie Gray Trial
Dec 16, 2015 2:32 PM CST
Hung Jury in 1st Freddie Gray Trial
Jurors couldn't reach decision on William Porter
- A Baltimore judge says there is a hung jury in the case of a police officer charged in the death of Freddie Gray. Circuit Judge Barry Williams announced Wednesday that the jury couldn't reach its decision after three days of deliberations in the manslaughter trial of William Porter. He...
Cop: Freddie Gray
Gave Me No
Dec 9, 2015 1:16 PM CST
Cop: Freddie Gray Gave Me No Reason to Call Medic
Officer William Porter takes stand in Freddie Gray trial
- The first of six Baltimore police officers to be put on trial in the death of Freddie Gray took the stand Wednesday, the AP reports. Officer William Porter has been charged with manslaughter in the death of the 25-year-old Gray, which set off massive riots in Baltimore last April. Prosecutors...
Trial in Freddie
Is Underway in
Dec 2, 2015 5:20 PM CST
Trial in Freddie Gray's Death Is Underway in Baltimore
Prosecution claims police ignored Gray's pleas for help
- The first of six trials in the death of Freddie Gray —who suffered a broken neck while in police custody last April—got underway Wednesday in Baltimore, the
reports. Officer William Porter is charged with involuntary manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office, and reckless endangerment. Five other officers...
Baltimore on Edge
as First Trial in
Nov 30, 2015 1:00 PM CST
Baltimore on Edge as First Trial in Freddie Gray Case Begins
Every prospective juror for officer William Porter's trial knows about the case
- Jury selection started Monday in the trial of William Porter, one of six Baltimore cops charged in the death of Freddie Gray , and potential jurors had one thing in common: They had all heard of the 25-year-old Gray, the $6.4 million settlement paid by the city to his family,...
Freddie Gray Case
Will Stay in Baltimore
Sep 10, 2015 10:34 AM CDT
Freddie Gray Case Will Stay in Baltimore
Prosecution argued it was 'insulting' to say an unbiased jury couldn't be found
- Judge Barry Williams today decided that the city of Baltimore is capable of giving a fair trial to the six officers charged in Freddie Gray's death. The defense had argued that wasn't possible, due to the city's "extraordinary" $6.4 million settlement with Gray's family...
Freddie Gray's Family to
Get 'Extraordinary Payment'
Sep 8, 2015 10:47 AM CDT
Freddie Gray's Family to Get 'Extraordinary Payment'
$6.4M settlement from Baltimore expected to be OK'd tomorrow
- In what the
frames as "an extraordinary payment," the paper reports that the city will pay Freddie Gray's family $6.4 million to resolve all civil claims related to his arrest and death. The payout needs approval from the city's spending panel and that...
Judge Refuses to
Drop Charges in
Freddie Gray Case
Sep 2, 2015 11:50 AM CDT
Judge Refuses to Drop Charges in Freddie Gray Case
Baltimore judge also ruled State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby won't be recused
- Written motions finally evolved into verbal arguments this morning in Baltimore, where defense attorneys for two of the six officers charged in the arrest and death of Freddie Gray tried to have said charges dismissed and the office of State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby recused from the case—attempts that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Incurable Disease Is Plaguing Young Workers
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Police Shove Officials in Election Document Raid
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.