Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano
Comes to Life Again
Sep 11, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano Comes to Life Again
One of the world's most active volcanoes began erupting Sunday after a 2-month break
- For those keeping track at home, it might seem like Hawaii can't catch a break lately : Kilauea, one of the most active volcanoes in the world, began erupting after a two-month pause, displaying glowing lava that's a safe distance from people and structures in a national park on...
Jun 7, 2023 2:08 PM CDT
Hawaii's 2nd-Largest Volcano Erupts
Kilauea is erupting again after 3-month pause
- Kilauea, the second largest volcano in Hawaii, began erupting on Wednesday after a three-month pause, US Geological Survey officials said. The survey’s Hawaiian Volcano Observatory said in a statement that a glow was detected in webcam images from Kilauea’s summit early in the morning, indicating that an eruption...
Man Dies After Fall
Into Hawaii Volcano
Jan 4, 2022 7:03 PM CST
Man Dies After Fall Into Hawaii Volcano
75-year-old was in closed-off area, NPS says
- The National Park Service says it is investigating the death of a Hawaii man who apparently fell into an active volcano at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Sunday night. The NPS said in a statement that relatives reported the man missing from inside the park around 12:15am Monday, Hawaii News...
On Hawaii's Big Island,
a 'Pretty Unreal' Sight
Sep 30, 2021 7:58 AM CDT
On Hawaii's Big Island, a 'Pretty Unreal' Sight
Eruption of Kilauea volcano is in 'full swing,' per USGS
- As an ongoing volcano eruption on the Spanish island of La Palma continues to wreak havoc , the US Geological Survey says another eruption halfway around the world is in "full swing," reports Reuters . Although local media noted that, as of Wednesday night, there was no immediate danger to...
How 2020 Is Coming
to an End: Like This
Dec 21, 2020 6:11 AM CST
How 2020 Is Coming to an End: Like This
Kilauea eruption followed a series of earthquakes on Hawaii's Big Island
- Because 2020 wouldn't be complete without some Americans dealing with an erupting volcano: The US Geological Survey says the Kilauea volcano, which is located on Hawaii’s Big Island, has erupted following a series of earthquakes in the area. The biggest, which was recorded at magnitude 4.4, hit...
Scientists: We Know Why
Kilauea Got Triggered
in case you missed it
Apr 26, 2020 10:23 AM CDT
Scientists: We Know Why Kilauea Got Triggered
Theory suggests heavy rain increased pore pressure, but other scientists are doubtful
- Climate change could usher in more volcanic eruptions, according to new research focusing on the 2018 Kilauea eruptions in Hawaii. The research published Wednesday in
suggests the Kilauea eruptions were triggered by months of extreme rainfall, which included a 24-hour period that set a US record. The idea is...
Soldier Climbs Over
Railing, Falls Into Volcano
May 3, 2019 8:10 AM CDT
Soldier Climbs Over Railing, Falls Into Volcano
32-year-old survived, landing on narrow ledge in Kilauea caldera
- The chief ranger of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is warning visitors to "never cross safety barriers, especially around dangerous and destabilized cliff edges," after a soldier did just that—and fell into the Kilauea volcano's caldera. The 32-year-old, reportedly on the Big Island for training exercises, had...
Americans May Not Want
to Live Near the 'Big 18'
Oct 26, 2018 7:20 AM CDT
Americans May Not Want to Live Near the 'Big 18'
USGS puts these US volcanoes in the 'very high threat' category
- Government scientists have classified 18 US volcanoes as "very high threat" because of what's been happening inside them and how close they are to people. The US Geological Survey has updated its volcano threat assessments for the first time since 2005, per the AP , and the danger list...
Hawaii Manhunt Underway
After Cop Killed Near Lava Zone
Jul 20, 2018 12:47 AM CDT
Hawaii Manhunt Underway After Cop Killed Near Lava Zone
Bronson Kaimana Kaliloa first officer to be fatally shot on Big Island
- A suspect wanted in the killing of the first police officer to be fatally shot on Hawaii's Big Island likely remains hidden on the mostly rural eastern side of the vast island, authorities said Thursday. A manhunt has been underway since Justin Waiki allegedly shot and killed Officer Bronson...
Two Volcanos, Two Very
Jun 9, 2018 1:00 PM CDT
Two Volcanos, Two Very Different Outcomes
Scientists explain why Guatemala’s volcano has been so much more deadly than Hawaii's
- The eruptions of Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano and Guatemala’s Fuego volcano are both devastating but in very different ways, reports the
New York Times
. The Kilauea eruption has been a slow-motion disaster, steadily destroying homes for a month but presenting little threat to people, while the Fuego eruption has...
117 Homes Had
Been Lost to Lava.
Now, Hundreds More
Jun 6, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
117 Homes Had Been Lost to Lava. Now, Hundreds More
'It's not our land,' says one resident of Vacationland
- Lava from Hawaii's Kilauea volcano destroyed hundreds more homes, overtaking two oceanfront communities where residents were advised to evacuate last week, officials said Tuesday. No injuries were reported as most residents had left. The lost homes were in addition to at least 117 others destroyed since lava began spilling...
USGS: Please Don't Roast
Marshmallows Over Kilauea
May 30, 2018 12:12 PM CDT
USGS: Please Don't Roast Marshmallows Over Kilauea
Unless you want to see a 'spectacular reaction,' and not in a good way, USGS warns
- It's officially barbecue season, though one place you shouldn't plan on making s'mores is over the lava-spurting Kilauea volcano on Hawaii's Big Island. It's hard to believe the US Geological Survey should have to say this, but the agency issued just such a warning Monday...
Dangerous 'Vog' in Hawaii
is Creating Stunning Sunsets
May 28, 2018 1:30 PM CDT
Dangerous 'Vog' in Hawaii is Creating Stunning Sunsets
The mix of Kilauea's gases and particles is dangerous but can be beautiful
- Kilauea volcano on Hawaii's Big Island has had it all over the past three weeks: molten rock shooting toward the sky, lava oozing from the ground and ash clouds rising miles into the air. You can also add "vog" to the mix, per the AP . Scientists say higher...
Video Shows 'Very Eerie'
Blue Flames in Hawaii
May 24, 2018 1:47 PM CDT
Video Shows 'Very Eerie' Blue Flames in Hawaii
Rare images show blue flames burning from cracks made by erupting volcano
- Scientists in Hawaii have captured rare images of blue flames burning from cracks in the pavement as the Kilauea volcano gushes fountains of lava in the background, offering insight into a new dimension in the volcano's weeks-long eruption. Volcanos produce methane when hot lava buries and burns plants and...
Volcano Erupts Again,
Sends Ash Plume 30K Feet Up
May 17, 2018 5:27 PM CDT
Volcano Erupts Again, Sends Ash Plume 30K Feet Up
Residents as many as 30 miles away starting to feel the effects
- Hawaii's Kilauea volcano erupted anew early Thursday with little sound and only modest fury, spewing a steely gray plume of ash about 30,000 feet into the sky that began raining down on a nearby town. The explosion at the summit came shortly after 4am following two weeks of...
In Hawaii, a Powerful
May 17, 2018 12:36 AM CDT
In Hawaii, a Powerful Eruption Looms
Quakes damage roads as the Kilauea volcano spews ash
- Earthquakes damaged roads and buildings on Hawaii's Big Island on Wednesday as ash emissions streamed from the Kilauea volcano. The strongest shaking was recorded around 8:30am, measured as a 4.4 magnitude earthquake, the AP reports. The floor of the summit crater has also dropped about 3 feet,...
50 US Volcanoes Are
Being Closely Watched
May 15, 2018 3:00 AM CDT
50 US Volcanoes Are Being Closely Watched
There are 169 active ones nationwide
- The ongoing eruption of Hawaii's Kilauea volcano has brought fresh attention to America's other active or potentially active volcanoes—and there are more of them than many people think, including quite a few in the Lower 48 states, though eruptions aren't a major worry for states like...
New Lava Fissure
May 14, 2018 1:53 AM CDT
New Lava Fissure Destroys Building in Hawaii
Latest vent forces more evacuations
- A new fissure in Hawaii's Puna District sent gases and lava exploding into the air on Sunday, spurring officials to call for more evacuations as residents waited for a possible major eruption at Kilauea volcano's summit. Hawaii County Civil Defense issued an emergency cellphone alert after the fissure...
Spurs New Worry:
Risk of 'Vog'
May 11, 2018 1:35 AM CDT
Hawaii Volcano Spurs New Worry: Risk of 'Vog'
Kilauea may force more mass evacuations
- The ongoing eruption of Hawaii's Kilauea volcano is creating new worries for residents—including the risk of "vog," or volcanic smog. Big Island residents have been warned that a change in the wind is expected to increase the risk of vog, which contains potentially deadly sulfur dioxide...
USGS: Hawaii Volcano
Could Erupt Explosively
May 10, 2018 12:47 AM CDT
USGS: Hawaii Volcano Could Erupt Explosively
Kilauea could spew rocks for miles
- Hawaii's Kilauea volcano could soon send boulders and ash shooting out of its summit crater in the kind of explosive eruption last displayed nearly a century ago. The risk will rise as lava drains from the summit crater down the flank of the volcano, and explosions could occur if...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.