Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
UN climate summit
Jump in Coal Use
Pushes Up US Emissions
Jan 10, 2022 4:58 PM CST
Jump in Coal Use Pushes Up US Emissions
Increase outstrips economic growth, making Biden's goal harder to reach
- Greenhouse gas emissions rose last year, making the US goal of a 50% reduction by 2030 that much harder to reach. The increase was 6.2% over 2020, pushed by a 17% jump in coal-fired electricity, the
reports. An analysis by the Rhodium Group, a research firm, showed...
'a Death Sentence'
Nov 14, 2021 11:50 AM CST
Maldives Calls Summit Decision 'a Death Sentence'
Island nations say they can't afford to wait for incremental steps to address warming
- Small island nations are especially alarmed by the results of the UN climate conference, making the point that they don't have time for small, incremental steps to slow global warming. The crisis has reached their homes. Negotiators declined to commit to taking immediate action to hold global warming to...
Climate Talks End in a Deal
Without Altering Planet's Course
Nov 13, 2021 4:30 PM CST
Climate Talks End in a Deal Without Altering Planet's Course
Weakened wording on coal clears way for accord
- Negotiators from almost 200 nations reached an accord Saturday in the fight against climate change, acknowledging that the problem isn't solved but setting up another attempt at more dramatic action next year. The Glasgow summit did not achieve the central goal of agreeing on action to limit the warming...
Obama Concedes Doubts
About Climate Action Progress
Nov 8, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Obama Concedes Doubts About Climate Action Progress
'We can't afford hopelessness,' former president says as he pressures Russia, China
- Former President Barack Obama expressed confidence at UN climate talks Monday that the Biden administration will ultimately get its $555 billion climate package through Congress, and faulted China and Russia for what he called a "dangerous lack of urgency" in cutting their own climate-wrecking emissions. As nations complained of...
at Climate Summit
May Be a Surprise
Nov 8, 2021 8:03 AM CST
Biggest Delegation at Climate Summit May Be a Surprise
Fossil fuel industry has more reps than any single nation or group
- It may not be a big surprise to learn that Brazil, home of the Amazon rainforest, has more delegates at the ongoing climate summit in Scotland than any other country. Its total of 479 easily tops No. 2 Turkey's 376 at the COP26 talks in Glasgow, per the BBC...
Global Protests Demand
More of Climate Conference
Nov 6, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Global Protests Demand More of Climate Conference
Glasgow demonstration is accompanied by events around the world
- More than 100,000 protesters unhappy with the progress made by the UN climate conference filled the streets of Glasgow on Saturday, calling for fewer promises and more change. Companion rallies were held in cities around the world, including London, Dublin, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Athens, Zurich, Cape Town, Copenhagen, Istanbul,...
Slams 3 Nations
Nov 3, 2021 6:29 AM CDT
Before Leaving Glasgow, Biden Slams 3 Nations
President criticizes China's Xi, Russia's Putin for not showing up at COP26, shakes head at Saudis
- On Monday at COP26, President Biden had harsh words for a former US leader. On Tuesday, before heading back to the US, he reserved his criticism for two current world leaders, slamming them for not making an appearance at the United Nations climate summit in Scotland. "Not showing up,...
Amid Lofty Goals,
a More Earthly Snub
Nov 2, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Amid Lofty Goals, a More Earthly Snub
Israeli minister was shut out of climate meetings because forum wasn't wheelchair accessible
- The world climate summit continues in Scotland, and the coverage of COP26 is wide-ranging. A sample:
The US has formally rejoined a group known as the High Ambition Coalition at the climate talks, reports the
. The group, made up of developed and developing countries, will push for nations
Nov 1, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Public's Interest Is Changing Climate Politics
Rise of Green parties has moved global warming up the priority list for nations
- As world leaders arrived in Scotland for the UN climate conference, great strides against global warming may have seemed unlikely, given the vague promises made the day before at Rome's G20 summit. But climate activists have been here before, the
reports, going back to the first such...
Nov 1, 2021 11:28 AM CDT
Biden Apologizes to World for Trump
He tells UN climate summit US should not have pulled out of Paris accord
- President Biden offered a public apology to a UN climate conference over predecessor Donald Trump’s move to pull the US from the Paris accord. Biden was speaking in Glasgow, Scotland, on Monday where world leaders were gathering to discuss implementing the agreement to contain global warming by mid-century. “...
Nov 1, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Johnson Opens Climate Summit With Quite an Analogy
World is like James Bond strapped to a 'doomsday device,' warns the UK leader
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson opened a global climate summit Monday, saying the world is strapped to a "doomsday device." Johnson likened an ever-warming Earth's position to that of fictional secret agent James Bond—strapped to a bomb that will destroy the planet and trying to work...
Prince Charles Warns of
a 'Dangerously Narrow Window'
Oct 23, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Prince Charles Warns of a 'Dangerously Narrow Window'
It's taken 'far too long' to prioritize climate change, prince said Saturday, ahead of COP26 summit
- Prince Charles issued a warning to the world days before leaders gather in the UK for crucial United Nations climate talks, saying there's a "dangerously narrow" window to tackle global warning. The heir to the British throne said Saturday that the summit, which starts Oct. 31 in Glasgow,...
At UN Climate Conference,
US Touts Coal
Nov 14, 2017 8:41 AM CST
At UN Climate Conference, US Touts Coal
Audience members in Bonn, Germany, weren't pleased
- A Trump administration panel touted coal and nuclear energy in its only official appearance at an 11-day United Nations climate conference in Germany on Monday—when it could get its message out over jeering protesters and audience members. "Without question, fossil fuels will continue to be used," though...
What Will Happen
at Today's UN
Sep 23, 2014 7:40 AM CDT
What Will Happen at Today's UN Climate Summit?
125 world leaders convene in NYC to rally for new climate initiatives
- Today's UN climate summit in New York City will draw together 125 nations in a massive, one-day precursor to Paris talks next year aimed at an overarching agreement, and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is calling on world leaders to show up with "pledges of action," the BBC...
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.