Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Great Salt Lake
Sees a Historic
Jul 6, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Great Salt Lake Sees a Historic Low, Again
Water level drops to 4,190.1 feet, after it matched 170-year-old record just this past October
- The Great Salt Lake has hit a new historic low for the second time in less than a year as the ongoing megadrought worsened by climate change continues to shrink the largest natural lake west of the Mississippi. The Utah Department of Natural Resources said Monday in a news release...
Brought In Amid Calif. Drought
Jun 2, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
'Unprecedented Measures' Brought In Amid Calif. Drought
LA residents can only water outdoors for 8 minutes a time, 2 days a week
- California is taking tough steps to ration water amid a megadrought so severe that even ancient trees haven't experienced anything as bad before. On Wednesday, more than 6 million people in Southern California were placed under unprecedented restrictions cutting outdoor watering days to one or two a week, the...
Grass Is No Longer
Welcome in Vegas
May 8, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Grass Is No Longer Welcome in Vegas
Authorities hope a new law will save billions of gallons amid ongoing megadrought
- Las Vegas is the proving ground for a new Nevada state law banning “nonfunctional” grass. It is the first law of its kind in the nation, per the
New York Times,
and the Southern Nevada Water Authority hopes it will save up to 9.5 billion gallons of water...
On Parched American West,
a Dire 'Wake-Up Call'
Feb 15, 2022 11:02 AM CST
On Parched American West, a Dire 'Wake-Up Call'
Study says megadrought is worst in 1.2K years, a 'worst-case scenario' due to climate change
- The American West's megadrought deepened so much last year that it's now the driest in at least 1,200 years and is a worst-case climate change scenario playing out live, a new study finds. A dramatic drying in 2021—about as dry as 2002 and one of the...
Aug 16, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
Shortage Means Federal Water Cuts
Drought fueled by climate change leads to record low levels in major reservoirs
- Officials on Monday are expected to declare the first-ever water shortage from a river that serves 40 million people in the American West, triggering cuts to some Arizona farmers next year amid a gripping drought. Water levels at the largest reservoir on the Colorado River—Lake Mead—have fallen to...
Worst 'Megadrought' in 1K
Years May Be Upon Us
in case you missed it
Apr 19, 2020 6:53 AM CDT
Worst 'Megadrought' in 1K Years May Be Upon Us
Scientists say dry spell in Western US is worst in modern history
- Scientists say a 20-year drought across the western US is in fact an emerging "megadrought" as bad as any in the region over the last 1,200 years. Megadroughts, intense droughts that last decades, have a long history in the Desert Southwest. Indeed, the study area—including nine states...
Western US Poised
for Worst Drought
in 1K Years: Study
Feb 14, 2015 1:30 PM CST
Western US Poised for Worst Drought in 1K Years: Study
But experts say there's still time to change our ways
- Within a few decades, a significant chunk of the US could be in for the worst drought in more than a millennium. That's if we don't change our greenhouse-gas-emitting ways, scientists say: A study co-author says the chance of a megadrought in the central and western US sometime...
Could Come to
Aug 31, 2014 4:21 PM CDT
'Megadrought' Could Come to Southwest: Study
3-decade dry spell could spark mass migration: experts
- An "extreme" drought is already affecting 82% of California, researchers say, and 58% is facing an even worse "exceptional" drought—but perhaps the most worrying news deals with the possibility of a 30-year "megadrought." The odds of that occurring now range from 20% to 50% in...
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.