Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jewelry Named for Victims
of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Sep 11, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Jewelry Named for Victims of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Controversial collection made of shattered glass from BLM protest pulled from Charleston museum
- A bolo tie named for Eric Garner . "The Elijah" and "The Breonna," necklaces costing several hundred dollars in honor of Elijah McClain and Breonna Taylor . A $45 pair of earrings bearing Trayvon Martin 's name. These are some of the items the
lists as part...
Silver Lining in LA:
Kobe Murals Are 'Saved'
Jun 2, 2020 12:47 PM CDT
Silver Lining in LA: Kobe Murals Are 'Saved'
Vanessa Bryant urges followers to 'drive out hate'
- Vanessa Bryant is taking solace in the fact that murals of her late husband and daughter have been left untouched during unrest in Los Angeles . Kobe Bryant's widow shared a screenshot of a news report showing a burning building in the Fairfax district on her Instagram story on Monday,...
Cop Fired Over
Eric Garner Death
Wants Job Back
Oct 24, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Cop Fired Over Eric Garner Death Wants Job Back
Daniel Pantaleo is suing the NYPD
- The police officer accused of putting Eric Garner in the chokehold that killed him is suing the NYPD to get his job back. Daniel Pantaleo had been on desk duty for the five years since the 2014 death before being fired on Aug. 19 . NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill sided...
5 Years After Eric Garner's
Death, NYPD Officer Is Fired
Aug 19, 2019 11:58 AM CDT
5 Years After Eric Garner's Death, NYPD Officer Is Fired
Decision on Officer Daniel Pantaleo's fate announced Monday
- After five years of investigations and protests, New York City's police commissioner on Monday fired an officer involved in the 2014 chokehold death of an unarmed black man whose dying cries of "I can't breathe" fueled a national debate over race and police use of force. Police...
Judge on Eric Garner Cop:
Aug 19, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Judge on Eric Garner Cop: 'Self-Serving,' 'Untruthful'
Court opinion on Daniel Pantaleo says his story on chokehold is 'implausible'
- Earlier this month, a judge passed down her recommendation that Daniel Pantaleo—the NYPD cop accused of putting Eric Garner in the chokehold that killed him—be fired. Now the
New York Times
has gotten its hands on the nearly 50-page court opinion from Judge Rosemarie Maldonado, and she doesn'...
Over Death of
Aug 2, 2019 11:30 AM CDT
Fire Officer Over Death of Eric Garner, Judge Says
Police commissioner will make the final decision
- An administrative judge has recommended firing the New York City police officer accused of using a chokehold in the 2014 death of Eric Garner. The judge's findings in the disciplinary case of officer Daniel Pantaleo were provided Friday to his lawyer and the city agency that acted as a...
Jul 16, 2019 10:21 AM CDT
No Federal Charges in Eric Garner's Death: Reports
Justice Department won't go after NYPD officer Daniel Pantaleo
- The Justice Department will not bring federal charges in the 2014 death of Eric Garner at the hands of a New York City police officer, reports the
New York Times
, and CNN . Daniel Pantaleo will not face criminal or civil rights charges in the case that ignited protests...
on Eric Garner's Death:
'Not a Big Deal'
May 17, 2019 1:51 AM CDT
NYPD Commander on Eric Garner's Death: 'Not a Big Deal'
Testimony brings gasps at officer's hearing
- There were gasps at a hearing in New York City Thursday as a police commander was asked to read out the texts he had exchanged with a sergeant who was at the scene of the arrest that led to Eric Garner's death. After Sgt. Dhanan Saminath told Lt. Christopher...
Garner Case Testimony: Officer
Likely Used Banned Chokehold
May 13, 2019 5:47 PM CDT
Garner Case Testimony: Officer Likely Used Banned Chokehold
Disciplinary trial begins in New York
- Two New York police officials who investigated the July 2014 death of Eric Garner testified Monday that Officer Daniel Pantaleo likely violated department rules on the use of a chokehold. Garner was the unarmed black man whose pleas of "I can't breathe" became a rallying cry against police...
4 Years Later, NYPD Charges
Cop Who Choked Eric Garner
Jul 21, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
4 Years Later, NYPD Charges Cop Who Choked Eric Garner
Officer Daniel Pantaleo will get his day in court
- The New York Police Department has begun disciplinary proceedings against a white officer nearly four years after he was accused in the chokehold death of an unarmed black man who gasped, "I can't breathe." A police spokesman says departmental charges were presented Friday to Officer Daniel Pantaleo...
Anniversary of Eric Garner
Death Brings New Development
Jul 19, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Anniversary of Eric Garner Death Brings New Development
Officer Daniel Pantaleo will face disciplinary proceedings, the NYPD has announced
- The NYPD announced on Monday that it will allow disciplinary proceedings to go forward against a patrolman accused in the notorious chokehold death of an unarmed black man, saying it's run out of patience with federal authorities' indecision about whether to bring a criminal case. On the eve of...
Dies at Age 27
Dec 30, 2017 9:01 AM CST
Erica Garner Dies at Age 27
Daughter of Eric Garner passes away after being declared brain-dead earlier this week
- A sad conclusion came Saturday morning to the most recent tragedy to hit the family of NYPD chokehold victim Eric Garner , with sources confirming his daughter, Erica Garner, has died, per the
New York Daily News
and Eyewitness News . The 27-year-old Garner, who was placed in a medically induced coma...
Daughter of Eric Garner
Declared Brain Dead
Dec 28, 2017 12:55 PM CST
Daughter of Eric Garner Declared Brain Dead
Erica Garner has no chance of recovery after heart attack, reports 'Daily News'
- The 27-year-old daughter of NYPD chokehold victim Eric Garner has been declared brain dead and has no hope for recovery, reports the
. Erica Garner, who became an outspoken advocate for police reform after her father's death in 2014, has been in a coma since Saturday, when she...
Eric Garner's Daughter
in Coma After Heart Attack
Dec 26, 2017 5:33 AM CST
Eric Garner's Daughter in Coma After Heart Attack
27-year-old activist is in grave condition, family says
- Erica Garner, the 27-year-old daughter of Eric Garner , spent Christmas Day fighting for her life after what family members say was an asthma-induced heart attack. The anti-police brutality activist is one of the six children of Garner, who died in 2014 after being placed in a banned chokehold by New...
on Police Brutality
Feb 25, 2016 1:59 PM CST
Nails Episode on Police Brutality
Positive reactions flooding in
- On Wednesday night, ABC's
aired a ripped-from-the-headlines show that some might call a "very special episode." The entire half-hour featured the sitcom family sitting in the living room watching the news to see if a police officer would be indicted in a police brutality case. The...
NYPD Caught Editing
Eric Garner Wikipedia Entry
Mar 13, 2015 4:42 PM CDT
NYPD Caught Editing Eric Garner Wikipedia Entry
Capital New York traces IP addresses to headquarters
- Anyone keeping a close eye on the Death of Eric Garner page at Wikipedia might have noticed a series of edits, some more subtle than others, that cast the NYPD in a positive light. Capital New York reveals the reason: They were made by people at the NYPD. The website...
After Talk With Boehner,
NY Rep Steps Down
Dec 30, 2014 3:33 AM CST
After Talk With Boehner, NY Rep Steps Down
Grimm pleaded guilty to tax evasion last week
- Rep. Michael Grimm told reporters he wouldn't resign after he pleaded guilty to tax evasion last week, but John Boehner appears to have used his powers of persuasion on New York City's only Republican representative in Congress. Grimm announced his resignation in a statement last night that sources...
De Blasio Decries
Cops Turn Backs
Dec 21, 2014 6:30 AM CST
De Blasio Decries 'Assassination,' Cops Turn Backs
NYPD is irate over mayor's sympathy to protesters in Eric Garner case
- A wall of NYPD blue three rows deep stood at attention last night as ambulances bearing the bodies of two of their fallen brethren, gunned down execution-style in their patrol car , made their way past a New York City hospital. And in video picked up by PIX11 , a wall of...
Woman Tries to Trademark
'I Can't Breathe' for Clothes
Dec 19, 2014 12:25 PM CST
Woman Tries to Trademark 'I Can't Breathe' for Clothes
Eric Garner's dying words turn up in formal application
- "I can't breathe" has become a rallying cry in the wake of the Eric Garner case , and now an Illinois woman wants the rights to that line for a clothing line, reports the Smoking Gun . Catherine Crump's application to the US Patent and Trademark Office says...
Thousands Across US
Protest Police Killings
Dec 13, 2014 5:21 PM CST
Thousands Across US Protest Police Killings
25K reported at rally in Washington
- Thousands of protesters marched across the country today—past the White House in the nation's capital, along iconic Fifth Avenue in New York, and in the middle of Nashville's honky-tonk district—to call attention to the deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of police and urge...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.