Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hunter, Age 9,
Makes a Rare Find
Jan 14, 2023 2:25 PM CST
Veteran Fossil Hunter, Age 9, Makes a Rare Find
Molly Sampson wades out and spots giant megalodon tooth
- Molly Sampson has been searching for a giant megalodon tooth for eight of her nine years. "She's been shark tooth hunting since age 1 when she would crawl along the beach," said her mother, Alicia. When Molly opened the insulated wading boots that she'd asked for...
Kayakers Make 'Pretty Comical'
Rescue of Pilot in Icy Creek
Dec 27, 2022 6:34 AM CST
Kayakers Make 'Pretty Comical' Rescue of Pilot in Icy Creek
Maryland officials, however, say they saved life of man who crashed into Maryland waters
- A pilot has a number of shovel-wielding kayakers to thank following his rescue from an icy creek in Maryland after his plane plunged into it. Per a release from the Maryland State Police, 71-year-old Steve Couchman of Frederick took off Monday morning in his single-engine Piper Cherokee aircraft from Lee...
TikTok Gets Smacked
Down by Multiple States
Dec 7, 2022 9:20 AM CST
TikTok Gets Smacked Down by Multiple States
Maryland, South Dakota, South Carolina cite cybersecurity risks in ban on government devices
- Maryland is banning the use of TikTok and certain China- and Russia-based platforms in the state's executive branch of government, Gov. Larry Hogan said Tuesday, citing an unacceptable cybersecurity risk to the state. The Republican governor announced an emergency cybersecurity directive to prohibit the use of the platforms, saying...
From Power Line
for Hours With 2
Nov 28, 2022 5:55 AM CST
Plane Dangled From Power Line for Hours With 2 Trapped Inside
Pilot, passenger have been rescued
- The pilot and passenger trapped for hours after a plane crashed into Maryland power lines Sunday were rescued early Monday. While they were initially reported to have been unharmed before they'd been extricated from the plane, CNN reports both were hospitalized with serious injuries including orthopedic and trauma injuries...
At Least 12 Injured in
'Catastrophic' Condo Explosion
Nov 16, 2022 12:21 PM CST
At Least 12 Injured in 'Catastrophic' Condo Explosion
Fire chief says residents smelled gas before Maryland blast
- At least a dozen people were injured, two of them critically, in what a fire service spokesman says was a "catastrophic explosion" and fire at a condominium complex in Gaithersburg, Maryland, Wednesday morning. Officials say two injured adults were rushed to a trauma center with critical injuries; eight others,...
This Is the Most
Giving State in America
Nov 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
This Is the Most Giving State in America
Congrats to Utah, according to WalletHub's ranking of the most, least charitable states
- If you're in a position to be philanthropic, whether that means donating your money or your time, where you live can make a difference in terms of enthusiasm from fellow locals—which in turn might inspire even more of your own altruism. WalletHub looked at 19 metrics across all...
Congress Gets Its
First Gen Z Member
Nov 8, 2022 8:54 PM CST
Congress Gets Its First Gen Z Member
25-year-old Maxwell Frost cruised to victory in Florida
- In Congress, Maxwell Frost is going to be the voice of his generation. The 25-year-old Democrat cruised to victory over 51-year-old Republican Calvin Wimbish in Florida's reliably blue Orlando-area 10th District and will be the first member of Generation Z in Congress, BuzzFeed reports. Frost, who will also be...
First US Tax
Oct 17, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Judge Blocks First US Tax on Digital Advertising
Maryland law also is being opposed in federal court
- The nation's first tax on digital advertising was struck down as unconstitutional by a Maryland judge on Monday. It's a law that attorneys for Big Tech have contended unfairly targets companies like Facebook, Google, and Amazon in a separate federal case against the same law, the AP reports....
All Charges Dropped
Against Adnan Syed
Oct 11, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
All Charges Dropped Against Adnan Syed
There will be no retrial for 'Serial' star, who served 23 years for ex Hae Min Lee's murder
- After Adnan Syed's murder conviction was overturned , Sarah Koenig, the one-time host of the
podcast that made his case famous, noted the chance of him facing a retrial was slim . Now it's zero, according to TMZ . The Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office on Tuesday dropped...
Oct 3, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
An Unwanted and Inhospitable Lighthouse Finally Sells
Hooper Island Lighthouse went for way more than the starting price
- The federal government has sold off a rather inhospitable lighthouse in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay for a six-figure sum after a bidding war at auction. The Hooper Island Lighthouse, located west of Middle Hooper Island in Maryland's Dorchester County, at first drew little interest, reported the
Hae Min Lee's 'Disappointed'
Family Files an Appeal
Sep 30, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Hae Min Lee's 'Disappointed' Family Files an Appeal
Her brother says hearing that set subject of 'Serial' podcast free wasn't conducted properly
- Adnan Syed, convicted and imprisoned for more than two decades after his ex-girlfriend, Hae Min Lee, was murdered in 1999, "couldn't believe" his conviction was overturned earlier this month. Neither could Lee's brother, Young Lee, and he's now appealing the decision of Baltimore Circuit Court Judge...
Suit: She Gave Birth on
Jail Cell Floor as Staff Laughed
Sep 28, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Suit: She Gave Birth on Jail Cell Floor as Staff Laughed
Jazmin Valentine alleges she was ignored during her 6-hour labor
- A woman who said she was left to give birth to her baby alone on the dirty, concrete floor of her jail cell in Maryland filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday alleging that jail nurses ignored her screams and pleas for help for six hours. Jazmin Valentine alleges some nurses working...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
50 Years After
Murder, a Confession
Sep 8, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
50 Years After Deputy Sheriff's Murder, a Confession
Man interviewed decades ago admits to fatal 1971 shooting: police
- A man has reportedly confessed to the murder of a Maryland deputy sheriff that has remained unsolved for a half-century. Larry David Smith, who formerly went by Larry David Becker, admitted to fatally shooting Montgomery County Special Deputy Sheriff Capt. James Tappen Hall in 1971 in what became the police...
Delaware Man Has Unusual
Luck With Maryland Lottery
Aug 13, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Delaware Man Has Unusual Luck With Maryland Lottery
Duane Ketterman, who travels for work, has racked up $50K from 2 separate winnings in 5 weeks
- It was Duane Ketterman's lucky day—and then it was his lucky day again, just five weeks later. CNN reports that the man from Millsboro, Del., won the lottery in neighboring Maryland not once but twice in about a month's time, taking home nearly $50,000 in the...
Cops: 'Old Man Bandit'
Got Out of Jail, Began
Robbing Banks Again
Aug 9, 2022 12:41 PM CDT
Cops: 'Old Man Bandit' Got Out of Jail, Began Robbing Banks Again
Steven Gregory Gass didn't learn his lesson in prison the first time around, say Maryland police
- The "Old Man Bandit" has been arrested after trying to rob a Maryland bank—one of dozens he's targeted over a criminal career spanning 45 years, according to police. Montgomery County Police say Steven Gregory Gass, 67—who served more than eight years in prison in Florida after...
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
in Closely Watched
Jul 23, 2022 2:25 AM CDT
Here's the Democrat Winner in Closely Watched Maryland Race
Wes Moore will run against Dan Cox for governor
Bestselling author Wes Moore won the Democratic primary for Maryland governor, it was announced Friday, setting up a general election contest against Republican Dan Cox, a hard-line conservative endorsed by former President Donald Trump. Moore, the author of the book
The Other Wes Moore
and the former CEO of...
Jul 17, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Governor's Race in Maryland Has Democrats' Attention
GOP's Larry Hogan can't run again, providing Democrats one of few opportunities to gain a flip
- One of the best opportunities for Democrats to regain a governor’s office this year is in Maryland, and the race to succeed term-limited Republican Larry Hogan has drawn a crowd of candidates. Winning back the seat shouldn't seem so tough for Democrats in a state where they outnumber...
Cops: Suspect in Md. Mass
Shooting Worked at Plant
Jun 11, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Cops: Suspect in Md. Mass Shooting Worked at Plant
Joe Louis Esquivel, 23, of W. Va. charged with first-degree murder after 3 co-workers were fatally shot
A suspect has been charged in a mass shooting that left three people dead at a manufacturing plant where he worked in Smithsburg, Md. In a Friday statement , the Washington County Sheriff's Department reported that 23-year-old Joe Louis Esquivel of West Virginia was hit with three counts of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.