Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Iceland's 'Intense Wave'
of Quakes Could Mean
Nov 11, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Iceland's 'Intense Wave' of Quakes Could Mean Something More
Island nation declares state of emergency, shutters Blue Lagoon, warning of possible volcanic eruption
- Officials have declared a state of emergency in Iceland and are scrambling to evacuate a southwestern coastal town after what CNN describes as an "intense wave of earthquakes"—and they fear it all portends yet another hit from Mother Nature. According to the Icelandic Meteorological Office, there were...
Japan Just Gained
a New Island
Nov 9, 2023 4:17 AM CST
Japan Just Gained a New Island
But it's not clear how long the island spawned by volcano will last
- An undersea volcano erupted off Japan three weeks ago, providing a rare view of the birth of a tiny new island, but experts say it may not last very long. The unnamed undersea volcano, located about half a mile off the southern coast of Iwo Jima, which Japan calls Ioto,...
Company Found Guilty
in Volcano Disaster
That Killed 22
Nov 1, 2023 1:28 AM CDT
Company Found Guilty in Volcano Disaster That Killed 22
New Zealand company belongs to brothers who own the island on which the volcano sits
- In the largest action of its kind brought by New Zealand's workplace safety regulator, a company that licenses tours to White Island was on Tuesday found guilty of violating safety laws in the 2019 volcano disaster that left 22 people, mostly tourists, dead and another 25 injured. Whakaari Management...
Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano
Comes to Life Again
Sep 11, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano Comes to Life Again
One of the world's most active volcanoes began erupting Sunday after a 2-month break
- For those keeping track at home, it might seem like Hawaii can't catch a break lately : Kilauea, one of the most active volcanoes in the world, began erupting after a two-month pause, displaying glowing lava that's a safe distance from people and structures in a national park on...
Erupting Alaska Volcano
Produces Huge Ash Cloud
Jul 18, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Erupting Alaska Volcano Produces Huge Ash Cloud
Pilots warned about Shishaldin Volcano
- An ongoing eruption of a remote volcano in Alaska's Aleutian Islands produced an ash cloud so large Tuesday warnings were sent to pilots about potentially dangerous conditions. The ash cloud with an initial height of around 5.5 miles was drifting south-southeast from Shishaldin Volcano, the Alaska Volcano Observatory...
That Lava May
Look Cool, but Iceland
Says Stay Away
Jul 11, 2023 1:16 PM CDT
That Lava May Look Cool, but Iceland Says Stay Away
Authorities warn tourists away from erupting Fagradalsfjall volcano, which is spewing toxic gases
- Authorities in Iceland on Tuesday warned tourists and other spectators to stay away from a newly erupting volcano that's spewing lava and noxious gases from a fissure in the country's southwest. The eruption began Monday afternoon after thousands of earthquakes in the area, meteorological authorities said. This one...
Millions Told to Prep for
Evacuation in Mexico
May 23, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
Millions Told to Prep for Evacuation in Mexico
Volcanic threat level raised as ash from Popocatépetl closes airports, schools
- Some 3 million people in Central Mexico have been told to prepare for a possible evacuation amid rumblings from the country's most dangerous active volcano. Hundreds of tremors have been registered around Popocatépetl volcano within the last week, while smoke and ash fills the air. Some 25 million...
Mount Etna Erupts in Italy,
May 21, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Mount Etna Erupts in Italy, Suspending Flights
No injuries have been reported
- Mount Etna, Europe's most active volcano, was erupting on Sunday, spewing ash on Catania, eastern Sicily’s largest city, and forcing a suspension of flights at that city’s airport. The AP reports that Italy’s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology, which closely monitors Etna with instrumentation on...
On Our Sister Planet, the First
Direct Evidence of Eruptions
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 25, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
On Our Sister Planet, the First Direct Evidence of Eruptions
Evidence suggests Venus is volcanically active 'right now'
- The second rock from the sun is much like the third, at least in terms of volcanic activity. "It's an active planet—right now," says Robert Herrick, a planetary scientist at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, who's found evidence that volcanic eruptions are indeed occurring on...
After Volcano Burst,
'Most Extreme Concentration
of Lightning' Ever
Jan 10, 2023 10:15 AM CST
After Volcano Burst, 'Most Extreme Concentration of Lightning' Ever
Eruption of Tonga's Hunga volcano spurred 400K lightning events in 6 hours
- Showers of ash, giant waves, and massive explosions weren't the the only things locals had to worry about when Tonga's Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano erupted last January in the South Pacific. Lightning also made an appearance, and a whole lot of it—so much, in fact, that...
Eruption Sends Rivers
of Lava Down Mt. Semeru
Dec 4, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Eruption Sends Rivers of Lava Down Mt. Semeru
Indonesian villagers flee falling ash, move into shelters
- Indonesia's highest volcano on its most densely populated island released searing gas clouds and rivers of lava on Sunday in its latest eruption. Monsoon rains eroded and finally collapsed the lava dome atop 12,060-foot Mt. Semeru, causing the eruption, said a spokesman for the National Disaster Management Agency....
A Sleeping Giant Awakes,
With Plenty of Spectators
Dec 1, 2022 6:48 AM CST
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Lava is flowing from Hawaii's Mauna Loa volcano, now erupting after a 38-year sleep
- The world's largest volcano oozed rivers of glowing lava Wednesday, drawing thousands of awestruck viewers who jammed a Hawaii highway that could soon be covered by the flow. Mauna Loa awoke from its 38-year slumber Sunday, causing volcanic ash and debris to drift down from the sky. A main...
Scientists Say Tonga Eruption
Deserves 'Ultra' Designation
Jan 25, 2022 2:41 PM CST
Scientists Say Tonga Eruption Deserves 'Ultra' Designation
It was many times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima
- Scientists are continuing to paint a picture of just how strong the undersea volcanic eruption that happened Jan. 15 near the island nation of Tonga was. In short, many, many,
multiples of the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima. NBC News has a statement from NASA that puts the preliminary...
After Tonga's Massive
Eruption, 'Very Good News'
Jan 18, 2022 8:07 AM CST
After Tonga's Massive Eruption, 'Very Good News'
'Catastrophic' disaster was apparently averted, though at least 2 have died and ash is everywhere
- The blast from the volcano could be heard in Alaska, and the waves crossed the ocean to cause an oil spill and two drownings in Peru. The startling satellite images resembled a massive nuclear explosion. And yet, despite sitting almost on top of the volcano that erupted so violently on...
First, a 'Violent'
Eruption. Then, 'Darkness
Blanketing the Sky'
Jan 15, 2022 6:00 AM CST
First, a 'Violent' Eruption. Then, 'Darkness Blanketing the Sky'
Undersea volcano erupts near Tonga, waves crash to shore amid tsunami warning
- An undersea volcano erupted in spectacular fashion near the Pacific nation of Tonga on Saturday, sending large waves crashing across the shore and people rushing to higher ground. There were no immediate reports of injuries or the extent of the damage as communications with the small nation, home to about...
This Vesuvius Victim
Dec 2, 2021 9:50 AM CST
This Vesuvius Victim 'Vaporized Instantly'
First skeleton found at Herculaneum in decades is stained red by blood
- If you had to endure the AD79 eruption of Mount Vesuvius, Pompeii might not have been the worst place to be. While Pompeii residents are believed to have suffocated in a cloud of ash and gases in just 15 minutes, before they were covered in volcanic debris, new excavations at...
of La Palma Dogs
Is a Head-Scratcher
Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mystery Rescue of La Palma Dogs Is a Head-Scratcher
'The dogs are fine,' said sign left behind by 'A Team,' ahead of drone meant to save them
- A drone operation was set to rescue several dogs from the Spanish island of La Palma, where they've been stranded in a yard surrounded by lava after a volcano eruption that's been going on for more than a month. There'd even been a test run that went...
Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Oct 20, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
On Lava-Covered Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Drone will swoop in to try to save several dogs trapped in yard on La Palma
- It's a precarious mission in Spain's Canary Islands, one that will require "calm and concentration," but the drone is ready. So says Aerocamaras, the company that will try to rescue several dogs trapped in a yard by lava on La Palma, where a volcano eruption that...
Drones Bring Food, Water
to Dogs Trapped by Volcano
Oct 13, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Drones Bring Food, Water to Dogs Trapped by Volcano
They were stranded by La Palma eruption
- Several dogs stranded by the ongoing eruption of a volcano in the Canary Islands have been saved from starvation by drone deliveries. Video from La Palma shows the dogs, trapped in a yard in a mountainous area cut off by lava, opening packages of food and water, reports Reuters . Authorities...
On Hawaii's Big Island,
a 'Pretty Unreal' Sight
Sep 30, 2021 7:58 AM CDT
On Hawaii's Big Island, a 'Pretty Unreal' Sight
Eruption of Kilauea volcano is in 'full swing,' per USGS
- As an ongoing volcano eruption on the Spanish island of La Palma continues to wreak havoc , the US Geological Survey says another eruption halfway around the world is in "full swing," reports Reuters . Although local media noted that, as of Wednesday night, there was no immediate danger to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.