Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Sleeping Giant Awakes,
With Plenty of Spectators
Dec 1, 2022 6:48 AM CST
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Lava is flowing from Hawaii's Mauna Loa volcano, now erupting after a 38-year sleep
- The world's largest volcano oozed rivers of glowing lava Wednesday, drawing thousands of awestruck viewers who jammed a Hawaii highway that could soon be covered by the flow. Mauna Loa awoke from its 38-year slumber Sunday, causing volcanic ash and debris to drift down from the sky. A main...
Scientists Say Tonga Eruption
Deserves 'Ultra' Designation
Jan 25, 2022 2:41 PM CST
Scientists Say Tonga Eruption Deserves 'Ultra' Designation
It was many times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima
- Scientists are continuing to paint a picture of just how strong the undersea volcanic eruption that happened Jan. 15 near the island nation of Tonga was. In short, many, many,
multiples of the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima. NBC News has a statement from NASA that puts the preliminary...
After Tonga's Massive
Eruption, 'Very Good News'
Jan 18, 2022 8:07 AM CST
After Tonga's Massive Eruption, 'Very Good News'
'Catastrophic' disaster was apparently averted, though at least 2 have died and ash is everywhere
- The blast from the volcano could be heard in Alaska, and the waves crossed the ocean to cause an oil spill and two drownings in Peru. The startling satellite images resembled a massive nuclear explosion. And yet, despite sitting almost on top of the volcano that erupted so violently on...
First, a 'Violent'
Eruption. Then, 'Darkness
Blanketing the Sky'
Jan 15, 2022 6:00 AM CST
First, a 'Violent' Eruption. Then, 'Darkness Blanketing the Sky'
Undersea volcano erupts near Tonga, waves crash to shore amid tsunami warning
- An undersea volcano erupted in spectacular fashion near the Pacific nation of Tonga on Saturday, sending large waves crashing across the shore and people rushing to higher ground. There were no immediate reports of injuries or the extent of the damage as communications with the small nation, home to about...
This Vesuvius Victim
Dec 2, 2021 9:50 AM CST
This Vesuvius Victim 'Vaporized Instantly'
First skeleton found at Herculaneum in decades is stained red by blood
- If you had to endure the AD79 eruption of Mount Vesuvius, Pompeii might not have been the worst place to be. While Pompeii residents are believed to have suffocated in a cloud of ash and gases in just 15 minutes, before they were covered in volcanic debris, new excavations at...
of La Palma Dogs
Is a Head-Scratcher
Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mystery Rescue of La Palma Dogs Is a Head-Scratcher
'The dogs are fine,' said sign left behind by 'A Team,' ahead of drone meant to save them
- A drone operation was set to rescue several dogs from the Spanish island of La Palma, where they've been stranded in a yard surrounded by lava after a volcano eruption that's been going on for more than a month. There'd even been a test run that went...
Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Oct 20, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
On Lava-Covered Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Drone will swoop in to try to save several dogs trapped in yard on La Palma
- It's a precarious mission in Spain's Canary Islands, one that will require "calm and concentration," but the drone is ready. So says Aerocamaras, the company that will try to rescue several dogs trapped in a yard by lava on La Palma, where a volcano eruption that...
Drones Bring Food, Water
to Dogs Trapped by Volcano
Oct 13, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Drones Bring Food, Water to Dogs Trapped by Volcano
They were stranded by La Palma eruption
- Several dogs stranded by the ongoing eruption of a volcano in the Canary Islands have been saved from starvation by drone deliveries. Video from La Palma shows the dogs, trapped in a yard in a mountainous area cut off by lava, opening packages of food and water, reports Reuters . Authorities...
On Hawaii's Big Island,
a 'Pretty Unreal' Sight
Sep 30, 2021 7:58 AM CDT
On Hawaii's Big Island, a 'Pretty Unreal' Sight
Eruption of Kilauea volcano is in 'full swing,' per USGS
- As an ongoing volcano eruption on the Spanish island of La Palma continues to wreak havoc , the US Geological Survey says another eruption halfway around the world is in "full swing," reports Reuters . Although local media noted that, as of Wednesday night, there was no immediate danger to...
Lava on La Palma Reaches
Ocean, Creates Pyramid
Sep 29, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Lava on La Palma Reaches Ocean, Creates Pyramid
Authorities warn of possible toxic gaes
- It may be of little solace to La Palma residents whose homes and livelihoods have been destroyed by the ongoing volcanic eruption, but their island is getting bigger. Lava from an eruption that began on the Spanish island 10 days ago has now reached the Atlantic Ocean, creating a pyramid...
That Withstood a
Sep 29, 2021 12:10 PM CDT
'Miracle Home' That Withstood a Volcano's Flow Succumbs
The owners are 'devastated,' but hope to rebuild
Relief has turned to devastation for the owners of a "miracle home" that initially escaped the lava flow that has destroyed more than 600 other homes in the Canary Islands. The home on La Palma owned by retired Danish couple Inge Bergedorf and Ranier Cocq has now been...
Thousands Homeless, Flights
Canceled as Ash Spews
Sep 25, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Thousands Homeless, Flights Canceled as Ash Spews
'Evolution of the volcanic emergency' continues on Spanish island of La Palma
- Flights to and from the Spanish island of La Palma were canceled Saturday because of an ash cloud spewing out of a volcano that has been erupting for a week . La Palma Airport operator Aena said on Twitter that plane traffic was suspended "due to the accumulation of ash"...
Lava Moving 400 Feet an Hour
as It Makes Way to the Sea
Sep 22, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Lava Moving 400 Feet an Hour as It Makes Way to the Sea
Lava is still spewing from Sunday’s eruption in the Canary Islands
- A wall of lava up to 40 feet high bore down on a Spanish village Wednesday as islanders scrambled to save what they could before the molten rock swallowed up their homes following a volcanic eruption. The lava still spewing from Sunday's eruption in the Canary Islands off northwest...
Europe's Tallest Volcano
Is Growing—and Fast
Aug 13, 2021 11:51 AM CDT
Europe's Tallest Volcano Is Growing—and Fast
Mount Etna at its tallest recorded height following 50 eruptions in 6 months
- Europe's tallest and most active volcano has grown 100 feet in just six months, owing to some 50 eruptions, reaching its tallest height in recorded history, according to a new analysis. For the past 40 years, Mount Etna's tallest peak has been its northeastern crater. But the southeastern...
Lava Flow Sends
May 23, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Lava Flow Sends Thousands Fleeing
Eruption panics residents but largely spares Congo city devastated in 2002
- A volcano eruption in eastern Congo triggered evacuations, with about 8,000 people fleeing to Rwanda, as lava flows neared the major city of Goma. The flows slowed overnight, stopping just before reaching the city of 2 million, officials reported, and the Rwandan emergency agency said the evacuees were going...
'Volcano Caught Us With
Our Pants Down, and
It's Very Devastating'
Apr 13, 2021 4:52 PM CDT
'Volcano Caught Us With Our Pants Down, and It's Very Devastating'
After eruption, St. Vincent is running out of water
- Leaders of volcano-wracked St. Vincent said Tuesday that water is running short as heavy ash contaminates supplies, and they estimated that the eastern Caribbean island will need hundreds of millions of dollars to recover from the eruption of La Soufriere. Between 16,000 to 20,000 people have been evacuated...
Within Hours of
Volcano Opens Up
Apr 9, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Within Hours of Evacuation Order, Volcano Opens Up
La Soufriere volcano erupts in St. Vincent
- A volcano on the Caribbean island of St. Vincent erupted Friday, just hours after the government ordered the mandatory evacuation of an estimated 16,000 people. Erouscilla Joseph, director of the University of the West Indies Seismic Center (UWI-SRC), described a 6-mile high column of ash extending from La Soufriere...
Incredible Drone Footage
Mar 23, 2021 3:11 AM CDT
Incredible Drone Footage Captures Iceland Volcano Eruption
Filmmaker says drone did not even appear damaged by its adventure
- "Whoa" is really the only word to describe the footage captured by a drone of a volcanic eruption in Iceland. Fagradalsfjall erupted over the weekend for the first time in more than 800 years, CNET reports. Filmmaker Bjorn Steinbekk sent the drone over the 1,263-foot volcano, Newsweek reports....
After More Than 40K
Tiny Quakes, an Eruption
Mar 20, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
After More Than 40K Tiny Quakes, an Eruption
Volcano on Iceland's Reykjanes Peninsula finally blew on Friday night
- They knew it was coming. For weeks, residents in Iceland have been feeling the ground tremble as the island nation was pummeled by tens of thousands of tiny earthquakes , a phenomenon that scientists warned appeared to be a precursor to a volcanic eruption. On Friday night, that eruption took place...
After 17K Earthquakes,
Iceland Expects Eruption
Mar 4, 2021 4:02 AM CST
After 17K Earthquakes, Iceland Expects Eruption
'It makes you feel very small and powerless against nature,' Reykjavik resident says
- Small earthquakes are nothing new or surprising for Icelanders—but 17,000 of them in a week is enough to rattle them. Scientists say the swarm of quakes suggests Mount Keiler, 20 miles away from Reykjavik, could be about to erupt for the first time since the 12th century, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.