Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular Vote Is
the Easy Way
Mar 20, 2019 6:52 AM CDT
Trump: Winning Popular Vote Is the Easy Way
He praises Electoral College 'marathon'
- President Trump has changed his mind on the importance of the Electoral College versus the popular vote, for reasons that may be connected to his winning the Electoral College and losing the popular vote in 2016. "I used to like the idea of the Popular Vote, but now realize...
Warren Calls for Fundamental
Change to American Voting
Mar 19, 2019 8:36 AM CDT
Warren Calls for Fundamental Change to American Voting
2020 candidate says it's time to abolish the electoral college
- Elizabeth Warren conducted a town hall meeting in Mississippi on Monday night, and one big takeaway is her call to eliminate the Electoral College. The Massachusetts senator complained that candidates often skip states such as Mississippi, her own home state, and larger ones such as California because they're not...
It's Long Overdue:
Electoral College Must Go
Mar 1, 2019 2:09 PM CST
It's Long Overdue: Electoral College Must Go
Jamelle Bouie makes his case in the New York Times
- Earlier this week, former Attorney General Eric Holder called for the abolition of the electoral college because it is "undemocratic" and "forces candidates to ignore majority of the voters and campaign in a small number of states." In a
New York Times
op-ed, columnist Jamelle Bouie echoes...
Connecticut Wants to Change
How Presidents Are Elected
May 7, 2018 6:00 PM CDT
Connecticut Wants to Change How Presidents Are Elected
The Nutmeg State has joined a multi-state pledge to award electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote
- A newly passed Connecticut law places the Nutmeg State among a growing group of US states that aim to change the way America chooses its president. Per NPR , the state's legislature voted over the weekend to send a bill to Gov. Dannel Malloy that ensures Connecticut's seven electoral...
Meet the First Native American
to Win an Electoral Vote
Dec 21, 2016 12:23 PM CST
Meet the First Native American to Win an Electoral Vote
Environmental activist Faith Spotted Eagle got one in Washington state
- When Washington state's 12 electors cast their presidential votes this week, four of them defied their state's popular vote and ditched Hillary Clinton. Three of those dissenting votes went to Colin Powell and the fourth went to Faith Spotted Eagle. If that name has you wondering who on...
Texas Moves to Ban
Dec 20, 2016 6:39 AM CST
Texas Moves to Ban 'Faithless Electors'
Across the US, there were a record 7 this year
- Only two Republican electors voted against Donald Trump in the Electoral College Monday—but that was two too many for leading Republicans in Texas, where both of the "faithless" GOP electors hail from. The
reports that moments after the vote, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted that he was...
The Electoral College
Has Spoken: It's Trump
Dec 19, 2016 5:58 PM CST
The Electoral College Has Spoken: It's Trump
He walks with 304 of the expected 306 electoral votes
- The revolt was infinitesimal: Of the 306 electors pledged to vote for Donald Trump, 304 did, officially giving him more than the 270 electoral votes needed to become president. Politico reports the two who opted for someone other than Trump were both from Texas: One cast a ballot for John...
What to Know About Monday's
Electoral College Vote
Dec 19, 2016 5:32 AM CST
What to Know About Monday's Electoral College Vote
Votes are tallied at Jan. 6 joint session of Congress
- Donald Trump will be officially elected president of the United States on Monday unless the Electoral College does something unprecedented—and leaves him " unpresidented ." Some 538 electors will meet across the country and 306 of them are supposed to vote for Trump, reflecting the election outcomes in their...
How 270 Electors
Could 'Blow Up
Dec 15, 2016 10:32 AM CST
How 270 Electors Could 'Blow Up the System'
Such an insane scenario is still possible
- With days to go until 538 electors officially decide on the next US president, the "faithless" are hard at work to ensure that person is not Donald Trump. Activists need to convince 232 Democratic electors plus 38 Republican electors to vote for someone else. That person would presumably be...
I Won't Cast
Dec 6, 2016 8:15 AM CST
9/11 Firefighter: I Won't Cast Electoral Vote for Trump
'I watch Mr. Trump fail to unite America and drive a wedge between us': Texas GOPer Christopher Suprun
- Consider him one of the faithless . Texas Republican Christopher Suprun, one of the 538 electors set to cast a ballot for the next president on Dec. 19, won't be voting for Donald Trump, and he explains his position in an opinion piece for the
New York Times
. He says...
'Faithless' Electors Push
Non-Trump GOP Candidate
Dec 2, 2016 6:15 PM CST
'Faithless' Electors Push Non-Trump GOP Candidate
They need to convince 37 Republican Electoral College members to join them
- The small group of Electoral College members attempting an "unlikely, last-ditch effort" to stop a Trump presidency by convincing their peers to vote for a compromise Republican candidate—called "Hamilton Electors"—have now formed a nonprofit for that purpose, the
reports. So far all seven...
Al Gore Changes
His Mind About
Nov 30, 2016 9:04 AM CST
Al Gore Changes His Mind About Electoral College
Get rid of it, he says
- The man who would have been the 43rd president if the Electoral College weren't in place thinks it's time to ditch it. Al Gore, who won the popular vote but lost the presidency to George W. Bush in 2000, tells NBC News that he's changed his mind...
GOP Elector Quits,
Says Trump Not
Nov 29, 2016 1:00 PM CST
GOP Elector Quits, Says Trump Not 'Biblically Qualified'
Art Sisneros of Texas says he felt he had no choice but to step down
- There's been talk of "faithless electors" trying to overturn the Electoral College vote on Dec. 19 that presumably will fall in Donald Trump's favor, but one Texas elector has so
faith that he's taking a different route, per the
: He's resigning his...
Trump Says He
Actually Won the
Nov 28, 2016 6:28 AM CST
Trump Says He Actually Won the Popular Vote
'If you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally,' per Trump
- Donald Trump doesn't seem pleased about Jill Stein's efforts to raise funds for an election recount in three battleground states, and he's also apparently not happy about reports that Hillary Clinton is crushing him in the popular vote (at last count, she was up by some 2....
'Long Shot' Effort
to Dump Trump
Nov 22, 2016 1:00 PM CST
'Long Shot' Effort to Dump Trump Underway
'Faithless electors' are lobbying GOPers to renege on their Electoral College pledges
- A Change.org petition lobbying the Electoral College's electors to make Hillary Clinton president based on her winning the popular vote is indeed a long shot—but the petition has more than 4.5 million signatures, and a plan is now being floated by a handful of electors to...
Clinton Is Winning
Popular Vote by
More Than 1M
Nov 16, 2016 4:33 AM CST
Clinton Is Winning Popular Vote by More Than 1M
Sen. Boxer brings in bill to scrap Electoral College
- In news unlikely to bring much cheer to the Clinton household, Hillary Clinton is now the winningest loser in the history of American presidential elections. According to the Cook Political Report election tracker, Clinton's lead in the popular vote has grown to more than 1 million, with 62,403,...
Be the 5th
Person to Ever
Lose Like This
Nov 9, 2016 7:11 AM CST
Clinton Could Be the 5th Person to Ever Lose Like This
There's a real chance she'll take the popular vote
- It may be deja vu all over again for Democrats, with the very real possibility emerging that Hillary Clinton will be the second candidate in 16 years to win the popular vote but lose the Electoral College. As of 8am ET, Clinton had pulled ahead of President-elect Donald Trump by...
Think Trump Can't
Win? Think Again
Nov 3, 2016 1:03 AM CDT
Think Trump Can't Win? Think Again
FiveThirtyEight's Nate Silver lays out the scenarios—and Trump's 'no longer really a long shot'
- A national poll showed Donald Trump slightly ahead of Hillary Clinton on Tuesday, though, as Nate Silver points out at FiveThirtyEight , cherry-picking polls isn't necessarily indicative of an overall trend: Per the FiveThirtyEight model that analyzed a whole slew of surveys, Clinton appears to still be in the lead...
2 Polls, 2 Significantly
Sep 6, 2016 12:13 PM CDT
2 Polls, 2 Significantly Different Results
One major poll puts Trump ahead by 2 points—but electoral college poll gives solid advantage to Clinton
- Ever-shifting polls have offered a sometimes-confusing picture of this year's presidential race, with CNN noting Hillary Clinton has taken the lead over Donald Trump more often than not. But a new CNN-ORC poll of 886 registered voters and 786 likely voters, taken between Sept. 1 and Sept. 4,...
Kills Bill to Alter
Jan 30, 2013 3:23 PM CST
Virginia Senate Kills Bill to Alter Electoral College
Bid to change winner-take-all system is shelved for now
- The GOP's push to muck with the Electoral College hit a major stumbling block yesterday, when a Virginia state Senate committee shelved a bill that would have allotted the state's electoral votes by congressional district. Republicans in swing states around the country are pushing similar bills, but Virginia'...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.