Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One Republican Comes to
Garland's Defense in Hearing
Sep 20, 2023 3:09 PM CDT
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Grilling from House lawmakers focused on Hunter Biden
- Attorney General Merrick Garland was grilled by Republican lawmakers in his first appearance before the House Judiciary Committee in two years. In his opening statement, Republican committee chair Rep. Jim Jordan accused the Justice Department of protecting President Biden and his family while targeting Donald Trump, NBC News reports. In...
DOJ's Tesla Probe Goes Beyond
Alleged Glass House for Musk
Sep 20, 2023 6:34 AM CDT
DOJ's Tesla Probe Goes Beyond Alleged Glass House for Musk
Prosecutors are looking at other perks the CEO may have received dating back to 2017
- A Justice Department investigation exploring whether Tesla funds were used to build a proposed glass house for CEO Elon Musk is more wide-reaching than previously known and could result in criminal charges. Federal prosecutors in New York are not only investigating other potential personal benefits Tesla provided to the billionaire...
Largest Antitrust Trial in US in
25 Years Is About to Kick Off
Sep 12, 2023 7:58 AM CDT
Largest Antitrust Trial in US in 25 Years Is About to Kick Off
Justice Department takes on Google over its search engine dominance
- Google will confront a threat to its dominant search engine beginning Tuesday when federal regulators launch an attempt to dismantle its internet empire in the biggest US antitrust trial in a quarter century. Over the next 10 weeks, federal lawyers and state attorneys general will try to prove Google rigged...
DOJ Seeks Longest
Sentence Yet for Capitol Riot
Aug 18, 2023 10:34 AM CDT
DOJ Seeks Longest Sentence Yet for Capitol Riot
Enrique Tarrio faces 33 years in longest sentence sought yet by Justice Department for Capitol riot
- The Justice Department is seeking 33 years in prison for Enrique Tarrio, the former Proud Boys leader convicted of seditious conspiracy in one of the most serious cases to emerge from the attack on the US Capitol, according to court documents. The sentence, if imposed, would be by far the...
Aug 16, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Hunter Biden's Attorney Quits
Because he'll likely end up testifying on Biden's behalf instead
- As discussions between Hunter Biden and the Justice Department continue to devolve , Biden's defense attorney in the case filed to withdraw from that role Tuesday, saying he could no longer act as Biden's lawyer because he may be called as a witness on Biden's behalf, the AP...
Extradited Nigerian Allegedly
Pushed US Teen to Suicide
Aug 15, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
Extradited Nigerian Allegedly Pushed US Teen to Suicide
Samuel Ogoshi and his brother Samson accused in international 'sextortion' scheme
- In March 2022, 17-year-old Jordan DeMay received a message over Instagram from someone threatening to make his nude photo go viral unless the teen coughed up $1,000. DeMay, a high school senior in Michigan, could afford only $300. "I'm kms rn [killing myself right now]. Bc [because]...
Aug 14, 2023 4:32 PM CDT
Prosecutors Are Breaking Deal, Hunter Biden Tells Judge
Disagreement involves a gun diversion program
- Federal prosecutors are trying to back out of a critical provision in his plea deal with them, Hunter Biden told a court. The agreement appeared to fall apart when a judge declined to approve it last month. In a filing Friday, prosecutors said that there is no deal anymore and...
Prof: Prosecuting Trump May
Have 'Terrible Consequences'
Aug 9, 2023 11:41 AM CDT
Prof: Prosecuting Trump May Have 'Terrible Consequences'
Harvard's Jack Goldsmith warns that the move just isn't worth it in a 'NYT' essay
- The Justice Department and special counsel Jack Smith made a "tragic choice" in deciding to go after former President Trump , argues Harvard Law professor Jack Goldsmith in a
New York Times
essay. To be clear, it's not a defense of Trump—Goldsmith calls the former president's efforts...
Justice Department Sues Texas
Over Barriers in Rio Grande
Jul 24, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Justice Department Sues Texas Over Barriers in Rio Grande
Abbott rebuffs warning and publicly welcomes legal showdown
- The Justice Department followed through on its threat to sue Texas on Monday, seeking to force the state to take out the floating barriers it has placed in the middle of the Rio Grande to deter border crossings. The obstacles are a danger to migrants and Border Patrol agents, the...
a 180 on
Jul 12, 2023 2:44 AM CDT
Feds Do a 180 on Trump Lawsuit
Former president is not entitled to immunity in E. Jean Carroll's defamation lawsuit: DOJ
- In a move that will allow E. Jean Carroll's original defamation lawsuit against former President Trump to proceed, the Justice Department on Tuesday said Trump is actually
entitled to immunity in that lawsuit. Carroll's suit, filed in 2019, centers around statements Trump made while president (he said...
DOJ, DNI Weigh In on Trump's
Jun 30, 2023 10:23 AM CDT
DOJ, DNI Weigh In on Trump's Declassification Claim
Agencies say there's no record that ex-president had 'standing order' to declassify Mar-a-Lago docs
- Former President Trump's claim that he had a "standing order" to declassify documents taken from the White House to Mar-a-Lago has long been debunked as "dubious" and called "total nonsense" by Trump White House officials. Now, another blow to Trump's story: the
Watchdog: Epstein's Final
Phone Call Went Unmonitored
Jun 27, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Watchdog: Epstein's Final Phone Call Went Unmonitored
Report describes multiple jail failures that led to sex trafficker's 2019 suicide
- "Negligence, misconduct, and outright job performance failures" at Manhattan's Metropolitan Correctional Center enabled Jeffrey Epstein's 2019 suicide, according to a Justice Department inspector general's report issued Tuesday. The report describes "staffing issues, faulty security camera setups, poor management and improper handling of inmates who could...
Hunter Biden Gets Plea Deal
on Tax, Gun Charges
Jun 20, 2023 9:05 AM CDT
Hunter Biden Gets Plea Deal on Tax, Gun Charges
Move ends federal investigation, but congressional Republicans have their own inquiries
- President Biden’s son Hunter will plead guilty to federal tax offenses and avoid prosecution on a separate gun charge in a deal with the Justice Department that likely spares him time behind bars, per the AP . Hunter Biden, 53, will plead guilty to the misdemeanor tax offenses as part...
DOJ: This 'Made
What Happened to
George Floyd Possible'
Jun 16, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
DOJ: This 'Made What Happened to George Floyd Possible'
After 2-year investigation, agency finds Minneapolis cops engaged in pattern of discrimination
- The Justice Department accused Minneapolis police Friday of engaging in a pattern of violating constitutional rights and discriminating against Black and Native American people following an investigation prompted by the killing of George Floyd. The sweeping two-year civil rights investigation concluded that systemic problems in the Minneapolis Police Department "...
Jack Smith Addresses
'Gravity' of Trump Charges
Jun 9, 2023 3:14 PM CDT
Jack Smith Addresses 'Gravity' of Trump Charges
Special counsel urges Americans to read the indictment
- The special counsel handling the Donald Trump classified documents case addressed the nation Friday afternoon, asking Americans to read the indictment of the former president "in full to understand the scope and the gravity of the crimes charged." (You can do so here .) In a two-minute televised...
Trump Has Much to Say.
Jack Smith Does Not
Jun 6, 2023 12:40 PM CDT
Trump Has Much to Say. Jack Smith Does Not
Ex-president vents about potential indictment over classified documents while special counsel remains silent
- We're apparently going to learn very soon whether the Justice Department will criminally charge Donald Trump over his handling of classified documents . And a day after Trump's legal team met with DOJ officials to make their case, Trump himself had plenty to say on the matter, reports the...
in Biden Probe
May 25, 2023 7:26 AM CDT
IRS Whistleblower in Biden Probe Emerges From the Shadows
Gary Shapley tells CBS that DOJ 'slow-walked' probe into Hunter Biden's taxes
- News organizations have already determined that an investigation at the center of an IRS whistleblower's allegations involves President Biden's son. Now, we know the name of that whistleblower. In an exclusive interview with CBS News , Gary Shapley, a supervisory special agent with the IRS' criminal investigations arm, tells...
Prosecutors Are Probing
Trump's Ties to LIV Golf
May 5, 2023 9:11 AM CDT
Prosecutors Are Probing Trump's Ties to LIV Golf
Classified documents investigation also examines possible gaps in security footage
- The Justice Department has found an insider witness in its intensifying investigation into former President Trump's handling of classified documents. That's according to the
New York Times
, which reports the unknown witness, who worked for Trump at Mar-a-Lago, has handed over a photo of the storage room where...
US Charges Sons of 'El Chapo,'
Details Jarringly Violent Acts
Apr 14, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
US Charges Sons of 'El Chapo,' Details Jarringly Violent Acts
Chinese companies face sanctions for supplying chemicals
- The Justice Department on Friday announced a sweeping operation against fentanyl trafficking by Mexico's Sinaloa cartel, including the indictment of four sons of Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán and two dozen other people. Attorney General Merrick Garland unveiled the charges at a news conference with federal prosecutors...
US Leak Reveals More
Than War Secrets
Apr 9, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
US Leak Reveals More Than War Secrets
Justice Department investigates while Pentagon assesses the damage
- The leak of US classified documents concerning Ukraine's defense against the Russian invasion has done more than reveal information that could help opposing nations on the battlefield. The files also provide a detailed look at US intelligence operations, including whom the US is spying on and how, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.