Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
State Has Kept Thousands
in Prison Past Release Dates
Jan 26, 2023 5:20 PM CST
State Has Kept Thousands in Prison Past Release Dates
Over four months, Louisiana released 4K late, Justice Department finds
- A federal investigation has found that Louisiana often keeps inmates in prison after they're scheduled for release—sometimes for as long as three months. A report by the Justice Department, blaming "systemic violations," says from January to April 2022, almost 27% of inmates freed by the state'...
Feds, States File 'Huge'
Lawsuit Against Google
Jan 24, 2023 1:32 PM CST
Feds, States File 'Huge' Lawsuit Against Google
Antitrust lawsuit targets dominance in digital advertising
- The Justice Department and several states sued Google on Tuesday, alleging that its dominance in digital advertising harms competition. The government alleges that Google’s plan to assert dominance has been to "neutralize or eliminate" rivals through acquisitions and to force advertisers to use its products by making it...
Search Finds More Documents
at Biden's Wilmington Home
Jan 21, 2023 7:02 PM CST
Search Finds More Documents at Biden's Wilmington Home
Half-dozen papers marked classified are removed in 13-hour hunt in Wilmington
- A more extensive search of President Biden's Wilmington home, conducted after Department of Justice investigators received full access to the Delaware house, uncovered additional classified documents, the president's personal lawyer said Saturday night. Six documents with classified designations were removed, some of which dated to Biden's tenure...
Jan 21, 2023 1:45 PM CST
Abbott Faces Criminal Investigation
Baby formula maker, whose plant was shut down after illnesses, says it's cooperating
- The Justice Department has begun a criminal investigation of actions at Abbott Laboratories' plant in Sturgis, Michigan, that was shut down almost a year ago, intensifying a national shortage of baby formula. The company said it's cooperating with federal investigators, NBC News reports. Four infants became ill after having...
Feds Won't Seek Death for
Shooter Accused of Killing 23
Jan 18, 2023 7:56 AM CST
Feds Won't Seek Death for Shooter Accused of Killing 23
Patrick Crusius accused of opening fire at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, in 2019
- Federal prosecutors will not seek the death penalty for a man accused of fatally shooting nearly two dozen people in a racist attack at a West Texas Walmart in 2019, per the AP . The Department of Justice disclosed the decision not to pursue capital punishment against Patrick Crusius in a...
Six Classified Pages Were
Found This Week: White House
Jan 14, 2023 1:35 PM CST
Six Classified Pages Were Found This Week: White House
Biden's lawyers release details about latest discovery in Delaware house
- White House officials said Saturday that a total of six pages of classified documents were discovered this week in President Biden's house in Delaware. Five were found hours after they acknowledged Thursday that one page had been spotted in a room off the garage , aides said. Richard Sauber, a...
Found in Biden's
Jan 9, 2023 7:30 PM CST
Classified Documents Found in Biden's Former Office
Papers were turned over to National Archives after discovery, president's counsel says
- Federal officials are reviewing approximately 10 classified documents that were discovered in an office President Biden had at a Washington think tank. The president's personal lawyers spotted the papers while packing up files to move Biden out of the office at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global...
Justice Department Sues
Wholesaler Over Opioid Crisis
Dec 29, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Justice Department Sues Wholesaler Over Opioid Crisis
AmerisourceBergen counters that it reported hundreds of suspicious orders
- The Justice Department claimed in a lawsuit filed Thursday that a major drug wholesaler contributed to the deadly toll from opioids by ignoring warning signs about suspicious sales to its pharmacy customers. The 87-page civil enforcement action accuses AmerisourceBergen Corp. and two subsidiaries of failing to properly scrutinize orders for...
on Trump Counts
Dec 16, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Committee Moves Toward Voting Monday on Trump Counts
Charges up for recommendation to Justice Department include insurrection
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol plans to consider at least three criminal charges against former President Donald Trump when it meets Monday. The panel can't bring charges itself or compel anybody else to; the vote would be on whether to recommend the Justice...
US Sues Arizona Over
Makeshift Border Wall
Dec 16, 2022 11:46 AM CST
US Sues Arizona Over Makeshift Border Wall
Justice Department demands removal of shipping containers, compensation for damages
- The federal government is suing the state of Arizona over the governor's decision to erect a border wall made of shipping containers. The Justice Department complaint accuses Republican Gov. Doug Ducey and state officials of trespassing on federal lands and asks a court to order the removal of the...
Judge Declines to Hold
Trump, Lawyers in Contempt
Dec 9, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Judge Declines to Hold Trump, Lawyers in Contempt
Issue in hearing was whether former president is in compliance with subpoena seeking classified documents
- A federal judge passed Friday on prosecutors' request to find former President Donald Trump and his lawyers in contempt of court, instead urging the two sides to work out their issues, ABC News reports. The Justice Department request—involving a subpoena seeking the return of classified records by Trump—was...
Was a 'Fauxbergé'
Dec 9, 2022 9:29 AM CST
Report: Egg Seized From Russian Yacht Was a 'Fauxbergé'
Experts agree find is unlikely to be lost imperial egg worth millions: 'WSJ'
- Experts were understandably skeptical when the Justice Department announced in July that it had possibly found a Fabergé egg on a seized Russian yacht . Fifty-two jeweled Easter eggs were commissioned for the Russian Imperial family from 1885 to 1916, with 50 of those delivered before the monarchy was toppled in...
Watchdog: No Inmate's Transfer
Should Go Like Bulger's Did
Dec 7, 2022 1:16 PM CST
Watchdog: No Inmate's Transfer Should Go Like Bulger's Did
Justice Department's inspector general finds failures, but no malicious intent
- A series of missteps by federal Bureau of Prisons officials preceded the October 2018 beating death of notorious Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger, the Justice Department's inspector general said in a report on Wednesday, per the AP . The watchdog is recommending that at least six Bureau of Prisons...
Merrick Garland Names
Special Counsel on Trump
Nov 18, 2022 1:59 PM CST
Merrick Garland Names Special Counsel on Trump
DOJ's Jack Smith will oversee inquiries into Mar-a-Lago documents, 2020 election
(Updated with new information throughout.)
A big move from Attorney General Merrick Garland on Friday: He named a special counsel to oversee the Justice Department's investigation into the presence of classified documents at former President Trump's Florida estate as well as key aspects of a separate probe...
13 Face US Charges
in Chinese Spy Cases
Oct 24, 2022 4:38 PM CDT
13 Face US Charges in Chinese Spy Cases
Plots include recruitment of agents, interference with prosecution, Garland says
- Attorney General Merrick Garland announced charges Monday against 13 people in three cases of Chinese spying or efforts to exert illegal influence in the US. Two of those facing criminal charges are Chinese intelligence officers who, the Justice Department said, paid a US government employee for confidential information in an...
Justice Department Appeals
Special Master in Trump Case
Oct 14, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
Justice Department Appeals Special Master in Trump Case
Filing seeks to have all of Florida judge's order thrown out
- Fresh from a victory at the Supreme Court on Thursday, the Justice Department on Friday asked an appeals court to call off a special master's review of documents the FBI found at former President Donald Trump's Florida home. The special master was appointed by Florida federal Judge Aileen...
Employee Says Trump Ordered
Boxes Moved After Subpoena
Oct 13, 2022 1:34 AM CDT
Employee Says Trump Ordered Boxes Moved After Subpoena
And security camera footage may show exactly that happening at Mar-a-Lago
- Former President Trump directed employees to move boxes of documents after he was subpoenaed in May for any classified documents still in his possession, according to a Trump employee who spoke to federal agents. Sources familiar with the FBI investigation into Trump's handling of classified documents talked to the...
DOJ to Supreme Court:
Tell Trump No
Oct 12, 2022 6:51 AM CDT
DOJ to Supreme Court: Tell Trump No
DoJ asks high court to deny Trump's appeal in Mar-a-Lago raid case
- The Justice Department on Tuesday responded to the bid by former President Trump's legal team last week requesting that the Supreme Court intervene in the Mar-a-Lago raid case. In its filing, the DoJ asked the high court to deny the Trump team's appeal to the SCOTUS requesting that...
Trump Turn Over
Other Classified Docs
Oct 7, 2022 1:11 AM CDT
DOJ 'Demands' Trump Turn Over Other Classified Docs
Sources say department isn't convinced the team has done so yet
- The Justice Department believes former President Trump still has classified documents in his possession, according to sources who spoke to the
New York Times
and CNN . The sources say a top DoJ official recently told Trump's attorneys that the former president must return any documents marked as classified, indicating...
'Overwhelming Victory' for
Justice Dept. in Trump Probe
Sep 22, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
'Overwhelming Victory' for Justice Dept. in Trump Probe
Court lifts hold on Mar-a-Lago records
- In a stark repudiation of Donald Trump's legal arguments, a federal appeals court on Wednesday permitted the Justice Department to resume its use of classified records seized from the former president's Florida estate as part of its ongoing criminal investigation, the AP reports. The ruling from a three-judge...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, a Hefty Fine
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.