Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Vatican: Let's Look at New
Leads Over Missing Teen
Jun 23, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Vatican: Let's Look at New Leads Over Missing Teen
40 years after 15-year-old Emanuela Orlandi vanished, new hope for solving her cold case
- Exactly 40 years after the teenage daughter of a Vatican employee disappeared, the Vatican said Thursday that new leads "worthy of further investigation" had surfaced hopes of finally getting to the bottom of one of the Holy See's enduring mysteries. Emanuela Orlandi vanished June 22, 1983, after leaving...
Vatican to Take Another Look
at Case of Emanuela Orlandi
Jan 10, 2023 1:46 PM CST
Vatican to Take Another Look at Case of Emanuela Orlandi
The 15-year-old daughter of Vatican employee vanished in 1983
- The Vatican said Monday it has reopened the investigation into the 1983 disappearance of the 15-year-old daughter of a Vatican employee, months after a new Netflix documentary purported to shed new light on the case and weeks after her family asked the Italian Parliament to take up the cause . Vatican...
Some Lawmakers Want Inquest
Into Missing 'Vatican Girl'
Dec 21, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Some Lawmakers Want Inquest Into Missing 'Vatican Girl'
Emanuela Orlandi vanished in 1983
- Opposition lawmakers in Italy are seeking a parliamentary commission of inquiry into three cold cases that have consumed the Italian public's imagination for decades, including the 1983 disappearance of a 15-year-old that was highlighted in the Netflix documentary
. The aim of the inquest, said Sen. Carlo Calenda,...
Vatican Opens 2 Tombs
in Hunt for Long-Missing Teen
Jul 11, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Vatican Opens 2 Tombs in Hunt for Long-Missing Teen
Remains of Emanuela Orlandi aren't there, and neither are those of original bodies
- Emanuela Orlandi is still missing—and now two long-dead princesses are, too. Emanuela was an Italian teenager who disappeared more than 30 years ago, and the Vatican on Thursday opened two 19th-century tombs after the family got a tip she might be buried in one of them. They found nothing,...
After 35 Years,
Vatican Opens Probe
Into Missing Girl
Apr 11, 2019 11:25 AM CDT
After 35 Years, Vatican Opens Probe Into Missing Girl
Emanuela Orlandi was the daughter of a Vatican employee who vanished at age 15
- The Vatican has for the first time opened its own investigation into the case of Emanuela Orlandi, a 15-year-old Vatican citizen who disappeared in the summer of 1983. The Orlandi family's lawyer, Laura Sgrò, confirmed the probe on Wednesday. She told the AP that "the Secretariat of State...
35-Year Mystery Stirs
as Vatican Finds Bones
Oct 31, 2018 8:27 AM CDT
35-Year Mystery Stirs as Vatican Finds Bones
Emanuela Orlandi's family hopes to 'bring her home'
- The discovery of human bones at a property next to the Vatican's embassy to Italy has renewed hope of solving a 35-year-old disappearance, which some claim involves the Vatican itself. Rome's chief prosecutor is working to identify the bones found during renovation work at the Vatican property in...
Ex-Mobster: I Have Secrets
to Confess to the Pope
Jun 12, 2014 8:29 AM CDT
Ex-Mobster: I Have Secrets to Confess to the Pope
Vincenzo Calcara wants to meet with Pope Francis
- In what could be one of history's more intriguing cases of a Catholic confessing his sins, a former mobster has asked for a meeting with Pope Francis so he can confess three "very important secrets." Vincenzo Calcara, described by the BBC as a "mafia turncoat" who...
Opened in Quest to
Solve Vatican Mystery
May 15, 2012 5:00 AM CDT
Mobster's Tomb Opened in Quest to Solve Vatican Mystery
Bones removed from Roman basilica in search for missing teen
- Italian cops cracked open the jewel-encrusted tomb of a murdered mob boss yesterday in a bid to solve the 1983 disappearance of a Vatican employee's teenage daughter. Experts opened the casket of Enrico de Pedis inside the crypt of a prestigious Roman basilica and discovered that he was the...
Vatican OKs Cracking Open Mafioso's Tomb
Jul 6, 2010 3:00 AM CDT
Vatican OKs Cracking Open Mafioso's Tomb
Teen kidnap victim may be buried with mobster
- Italian police probing the unsolved 1983 disappearance of a teenage girl have been given the Vatican's permission to open the tomb of a mobster. Enrico Pedis was buried in the crypt of a Vatican-owned church after he was gunned down by rival gangsters in 1990. Now police have received a...
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.