Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court Sides With
Jul 13, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Fukushima Disaster: Court Sides With TEPCO Shareholders
Former TEPCO execs were found liable and ordered to pay $95B
- A decade ago, 48 Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) shareholders sued a group of former executives, demanding they pay up over their failure to prevent the 2011 disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. They wanted $160 billion to be paid to the company; on Wednesday, a Tokyo court ordered...
The Pacific Northwest Isn't
Ready for This Tsunami
Feb 13, 2022 3:00 PM CST
The Pacific Northwest Isn't Ready for This Tsunami
The evacuation options just aren't there for tens of thousands of people
- "It’s going to dwarf the scale of any disaster we have ever had. We know it’s coming." So Chris Goldfinger of Oregon State University tells the
New York Times
. He's talking about a massive—think magnitude 9.0—quake along the Cascadia fault off the...
'Real Life Aquaman'
Who Survived Tsunami
Jan 20, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
Lisala Folau lived through a 27-hour, 8-mile ordeal at sea before landing 3 islands away from home
- It appears major catastrophe was averted on Tonga after a volcanic eruption and tsunami over the weekend, but Lisala Folau still had quite an ordeal in the aftermath. As communications with the island are slowly being restored , the Tonga man's story is getting out, and it's a wild...
After Tonga's Massive
Eruption, 'Very Good News'
Jan 18, 2022 8:07 AM CST
After Tonga's Massive Eruption, 'Very Good News'
'Catastrophic' disaster was apparently averted, though at least 2 have died and ash is everywhere
- The blast from the volcano could be heard in Alaska, and the waves crossed the ocean to cause an oil spill and two drownings in Peru. The startling satellite images resembled a massive nuclear explosion. And yet, despite sitting almost on top of the volcano that erupted so violently on...
South Pacific Tsunami
Cleared the Fog in Seattle
Jan 17, 2022 8:38 AM CST
South Pacific Tsunami Cleared the Fog in Seattle
No reports of mass casualties in Tonga, though a British woman is missing
- Just how big was the volcanic eruption near the South Pacific island nation of Tonga over the weekend? Researchers say it was likely the biggest such eruption on the planet in the last 30 years, reports CNN . The eruption of the undersea volcano on Saturday sent a plume of ash...
First, a 'Violent'
Eruption. Then, 'Darkness
Blanketing the Sky'
Jan 15, 2022 6:00 AM CST
First, a 'Violent' Eruption. Then, 'Darkness Blanketing the Sky'
Undersea volcano erupts near Tonga, waves crash to shore amid tsunami warning
- An undersea volcano erupted in spectacular fashion near the Pacific nation of Tonga on Saturday, sending large waves crashing across the shore and people rushing to higher ground. There were no immediate reports of injuries or the extent of the damage as communications with the small nation, home to about...
of Triple Disaster
Mar 11, 2021 4:54 AM CST
Japan Marks 10th Anniversary of Triple Disaster
More than 18K died in earthquake, tsunami
- Japan on Thursday marked the 10th anniversary of the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear disaster that hit its northeastern region, where many survivors' lives are still on hold. Carrying bouquets, many walked to the coast or visited graves to pray for relatives and friends washed away by the tsunami, the AP...
an Order to Move
to Higher Ground
Mar 4, 2021 5:15 PM CST
After Earthquake, an Order to Move to Higher Ground
New Zealand calls for evacuations after 8.1 quake hits off the coast
- A powerful magnitude 8.1 earthquake struck in the ocean off the coast of New Zealand on Friday, prompting thousands of people to evacuate and triggering tsunami warnings across the South Pacific. The quake was the largest in a series of tremors that struck the region over several hours, including...
Boat Washed Away by
Tsunami Drifted for
Almost 10 Years
Dec 14, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Boat Washed Away by Tsunami Drifted for Almost 10 Years
It ended up back in Japan, covered in coral
- A fishing boat washed away in a tsunami has turned up 400 miles away almost a decade later. The small boat was pulled ashore after fishermen spotted it floating near Yaene port in Hachijo Island, south of Tokyo, NHK reports. A registration number confirmed that it belonged to a fishermen'...
Quake, Tsunami Wreak
Havoc on Greece, Turkey
Oct 30, 2020 1:23 PM CDT
Quake, Tsunami Wreak Havoc on Greece, Turkey
At least 6 dead in Izmir, hundreds injured after 6.6 magnitude temblor in Aegean Sea
- A strong earthquake struck Friday in the Aegean Sea between the Turkish coast and the Greek island of Samos, collapsing buildings in the city of Izmir in western Turkey. Officials said at least six people were killed and scores were injured. A small tsunami struck the Seferihisar district of Izmir,...
Alaskans Seek Higher
Ground After Earthquake
Oct 19, 2020 6:55 PM CDT
Alaskans Seek Higher Ground After Earthquake
Tsunami warning is issued for 950-mile path
- Southern Alaska was under a tsunami warning Monday after a 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck near the peninsula. An aftershock followed about 20 minutes later, with a magnitude of 5.8, NBC reports. The first earthquake was near Sand Point in the Shumagin Islands. No damage was reported, per the...
Huge Alaskan Tsunami
Could Be Imminent
May 15, 2020 12:57 PM CDT
Huge Alaskan Tsunami Could Be Imminent
A glacier is retreating, and scientists say a massive wave will eventually result
- Scientists are warning that the sudden collapse of an Alaskan slope currently being propped up by a retreating glacier could trigger a catastrophic tsunami hundreds of feet high. "It could happen anytime, but the risk just goes way up as this glacier recedes," researcher Anna Liljedahl tells the...
7.7 Quake Triggers
Jan 28, 2020 3:33 PM CST
7.7 Quake Triggers Tsunami Threat
Buildings shook as far as Miami
- The US Geological Survey says a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck south of Cuba and northwest of Jamaica on Tuesday, the AP reports. It was centered 86 miles northwest of Montego Bay, Jamaica, and 87 miles west-southwest of Niquero, Cuba. It hit at 2:10pm EST and the epicenter...
15 Years Later, Tsunami's
Toll Remains Mind-Boggling
Dec 26, 2019 10:10 AM CST
15 Years Later, Tsunami's Toll Remains Mind-Boggling
Survivors mark anniversary of disaster that claimed 230K lives in Indonesia, other nations
- "It still haunts me." The line from 28-year-old Thai resident Suwanne Maliwan to Reuters expresses a common sentiment Thursday, the 15th anniversary of the Indian Ocean tsunami that claimed 230,000 lives. Maliwan, for instance, lost both her parents and five other relatives. "Sometimes I dream that...
Indonesian Volcano Collapsed
Dec 27, 2018 7:25 AM CST
Satellite Images: Indonesian Volcano Collapsed
The southwestern flank of Anak Krakatau is missing
- Radar data from satellites, converted into images, shows Indonesia's Anak Krakatau island volcano is dramatically smaller following a weekend eruption that triggered a deadly tsunami. Satellite photos aren't available because of cloud cover, reports the AP , but radar images from a Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency satellite taken before...
In Jittery Indonesia, a New
Cry of 'Water Is Coming!'
Dec 25, 2018 9:08 AM CST
In Jittery Indonesia, a New Cry of 'Water Is Coming!'
Tsunami's death toll climbs to 429
- Panicked residents, police, and soldiers in the remote fishing village of Sumur, Indonesia, clobbered by a devastating weekend tsunami ran to higher ground Tuesday, shouting "Water is coming! Water is coming!" and reciting verses from the Quran as emergency messages were broadcast over mosque speakers. It proved to...
Dec 24, 2018 6:07 AM CST
Volcano Collapse Blamed for Killer Tsunami
No warning was issued before disaster
- Fourteen years after the devastating Indian Ocean tsunami, Indonesia is counting the victims of another killer wave. The death toll in the Saturday tsunami has now hit 281, with dozens more missing and around 1,000 people injured, the BBC reports. People near the island volcano of Anak Krakatau—"...
Video Captures Tsunami
Pulling Band Into the Sea
Dec 23, 2018 6:39 AM CST
Video Captures Tsunami Pulling Band Into the Sea
Lead singer of Seventeen band's only known survivor
- Moments before tsunami waves struck a beach in Indonesia, the band Seventeen was playing a beachside concert. Moments later, screams. Reuters reports some 200 employees of the state electricity utility and their families were gathered at the year-end party at the Tanjung Lesung Beach Resort on Java's western tip...
A Volcanic Eruption,
a Tsunami, Then Death
Dec 23, 2018 5:10 AM CST
A Volcanic Eruption, a Tsunami, Then Death
Death toll around Indonesia's Sunda Strait stands at 222
- A tsunami apparently caused by the eruption of an island volcano killed at least 222 people around Indonesia's Sunda Strait on Saturday night, sending a wall of water crashing some 65 feet inland and sweeping away hundreds of houses including hotels, the government and witnesses said. Another 843 people...
Tsunami Warning Issued
After Massive Pacific Quake
Dec 5, 2018 12:27 AM CST
Tsunami Warning Issued After Massive Pacific Quake
7.5-magnitude quake struck near New Caledonia
- A powerful magnitude 7.5 earthquake struck in the southern Pacific Ocean near New Caledonia on Wednesday, prompting authorities to warn of a tsunami threat to nearby islands, the AP reports. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said tsunami waves of between 3 and 10 feet were possible along some coasts...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.