Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feb 2, 2022 1:31 PM CST
This Olympian Will Represent His Country Alone
Arif Khan, 31, is sole athlete from India
- The US is sending 222 athletes to the 2022 Winter Olympics. India is sending just one. NPR reports 31-year-old skier Arif Khan arrived in Beijing on Tuesday and is scheduled to compete in the slalom and giant slalom events later this week. As long as he manages to stay COVID-free,...
New Year's Gathering at Shrine
Turns Into 'Horrifying Sight'
Jan 1, 2022 9:15 AM CST
New Year's Gathering at Shrine Turns Into 'Horrifying Sight'
At least 12 are dead, 15 injured after crowd surge at Hindu shrine in Kashmir
- A crowd surge at a popular Hindu shrine in Indian-controlled Kashmir killed at least 12 people and injured 15 others on New Year's Day, officials said. Initial reports suggested an altercation between a group of devotees led to the crush early Saturday at the Mata Vaishno Devi shrine, where...
Uproar in Kashmir After
India Takes 'Illegal Steps'
Aug 5, 2019 7:17 AM CDT
Uproar in Kashmir After India Takes 'Illegal Steps'
PM Narendra Modi revokes special status, cuts internet and phone services in restive region
- India's government revoked disputed Kashmir's special status with a presidential order Monday as thousands of newly deployed troops arrived and internet and phone services were cut in the restive Himalayan region where most people oppose Indian rule. Home Minister Amit Shah announced the revocation amid an uproar in...
Tensions Increase as India
Demands Pakistan Free Pilot
Feb 27, 2019 6:26 PM CST
Tensions Increase as India Demands Pakistan Free Pilot
Video shows prisoner blindfolded and bloody
- India has demanded that Pakistan release a fighter pilot shot down Wednesday over Kashmir, after a video was released showing the man blindfolded and bloody. India called the video a "vulgar display of an injured personnel," the BBC reports. Pakistan said the pilot was being "treated as...
Pakistan Says It
Has Indian Pilot
Feb 27, 2019 8:21 AM CST
Serious Escalation: Pakistan Says It Has Indian Pilot
Violence called 'most serious escalation' of countries' long-simmering conflict since 1999
- Pakistan's military said Wednesday it shot down two Indian warplanes in the disputed region of Kashmir and captured a pilot, raising tensions between the nuclear-armed rivals to a level unseen in the last two decades. The military's spokesman, Maj. Gen. Asif Ghafoor, originally said two pilots were...
Attack on Convoy Is
Deadliest in Kashmir History
Feb 15, 2019 12:11 AM CST
Attack on Convoy Is Deadliest in Kashmir History
Car bombing killed 41 Indian soldiers
- The death toll from a car bombing on a paramilitary convoy in Indian-controlled Kashmir has climbed to 41, becoming the single deadliest attack in the divided region's volatile history, security officials said Friday. A local Kashmiri militant rammed an explosive-laden van into the convoy along a key highway Thursday....
In the High Himalayas,
Troops Throw Rocks
at Each Other
Aug 16, 2017 1:03 AM CDT
In the High Himalayas, Troops Throw Rocks at Each Other
Stones thrown after Kashmir patrol got lost
- Indian and Chinese soldiers yelled and hurled stones at one another in the high Himalayas in Indian-controlled Kashmir, Indian officials said Wednesday after an altercation that escalated tensions between two nations already engaged in a lengthy border standoff elsewhere. The Chinese soldiers hurled stones while attempting to enter Ladakh region...
India Kicks Entire Region
Off Social Media
Apr 27, 2017 12:56 AM CDT
India Kicks Entire Region Off Social Media
ISPs ordered to block 22 sites for a month
- India has ordered internet service providers in Indian-controlled Kashmir to immediately block Facebook, Twitter, and 20 other social media sites and online applications for one month, after several videos and photos depicting alleged abuses of Kashmiris by Indian security forces sparked outrage and fueled protests. The government said the restrictions...
Soldier Rescued From
Avalanche Dies in Hospital
Feb 11, 2016 10:54 AM CST
Soldier Rescued From Avalanche Dies in Hospital
He had been buried under at least 35 feet of snow
- An Indian army soldier rescued after six days buried under deep snow by an enormous avalanche in the Himalayan region of Kashmir died Thursday in a hospital in the Indian capital. Hanamanthappa Koppad died with worsening dysfunction in multiple organs after being hospitalized in extremely critical condition, army spokesman Col....
Soldier Buried in Avalanche
Found Alive 5 Days Later
Feb 9, 2016 12:54 PM CST
Soldier Buried in Avalanche Found Alive 5 Days Later
His survival is being called a 'miracle'
- Last Wednesday, an avalanche hit an Indian army base in Kashmir, burying 10 soldiers under 30 feet of ice and snow, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Five days later, one soldier was miraculously found alive. The base—nearly 20,000 feet above sea level—was struck after a 320,000-square-foot...
India: Pakistan Attacked
50 Border Posts Overnight
Oct 23, 2013 2:36 AM CDT
India: Pakistan Attacked 50 Border Posts Overnight
Shelling called most serious ceasefire break in a decade
- India has accused Pakistani troops of firing guns and mortars on at least 50 Indian border posts overnight in disputed Kashmir, calling it the most serious ceasefire violation between the nuclear-armed neighbors in a decade. Indian troops returned fire, but one guard was killed and six were injured by a...
Kashmiri Girl Rockers
Disband Over Threats
Feb 5, 2013 4:56 PM CST
Kashmiri Girl Rockers Disband Over Threats
Teen group sets off backlash
- The first all-girl rock band in Indian-controlled Kashmir has decided to disband after only one concert because of threats its teenage members received on social media and a demand from a top Muslim cleric that they stop performing. The fate of Pragaash, which means "First Light" in Kashmiri, highlights...
Jan 9, 2013 7:14 AM CST
Outraged India Says Pakistanis Beheaded Soldier
Tensions rise in Kashmir, but Pakistani officials call claim 'baseless'
- Things are again heating up in volatile Kashmir, where Indian officials charge that Pakistani army members slaughtered and mutilated two Indian soldiers, beheading one of them and taking the severed head with them. India says Pakistani army members fired over the Line of Control that divides the contested territory yesterday,...
Indian Women Told:
Cover Up or Face
Aug 13, 2012 4:53 PM CDT
Indian Women Told: Cover Up or Face Acid Attack
Pro-al-Qaeda group posts warnings in Kashmir
- A radical Islamic group in India has promised to kill or maim women who go unveiled or use cell phones in the open, the
reports. A note posted on mosques in the state of Kashmir warned that "if we spot any woman without purdah [head and face covering]...
Feds: Pakistan Spies
Funded DC Lobby Group
Jul 20, 2011 2:40 AM CDT
Feds: Pakistan Spies Funded DC Lobby Group
Kashmiri group's director arrested
- American-Pakistani relations slumped further downhill yesterday with the arrest of a Washington-based lobbyist accused of being in the pay of Pakistan's spy agency. Federal investigators say Pakistan spent millions of dollars attempting to influence American policy on the disputed territory of Kashmir with campaign donations to members of Congress...
India Arrests Kashmiri
Oct 18, 2010 12:50 PM CDT
India Arrests Kashmiri Protest Leader
Top separatist Masarat Alam sent back to jail
- Indian police arrested a top separatist leader today on accusations he spearheaded months of massive protests against Indian rule in Kashmir. Masarat Alam was taken into custody this evening in a suburb in Srinagar, the main city in Indian-controlled Kashmir, a top police officer said, calling the arrest a "...
Koran Protesters Torch
Christian School in Kashmir
Sep 13, 2010 10:59 AM CDT
Koran Protesters Torch Christian School in Kashmir
Thirteen protesters killed in clash with police
- Tens of thousands of protesters took to the streets in Kashmir today, setting fire to a Christian Missionary school while crying, “Death to the US!” and “Death to Koran desecrators!” No one was in the school at the time, but 13 protesters died in clashes with...
1,300 Missing in Asia Floods
Aug 9, 2010 5:27 AM CDT
1,300 Missing in Asia Floods
Millions plunged into misery
- Rescuers searched today for an estimated 1,300 people left missing after rubble-strewn floodwaters tore through northwestern China, smashing buildings, overturning cars, and killing at least 127 people. In neighboring Pakistan, 4 million people faced food shortages amid their country's worst-ever flooding, while rescuers in Indian-controlled Kashmir raced to find...
Kashmir Avalanche Kills
6 Soldiers, Traps 60
Feb 8, 2010 4:25 AM CST
Kashmir Avalanche Kills 6 Soldiers, Traps 60
Snow, rain hinder rescue efforts
- Six Indian soldiers are dead and about 60 trapped beneath the snow of an avalanche that hit an army training center in a ski resort town in Indian-controlled Kashmir this morning. Rescue operations are under way but are being hindered by incessant rain and snowfall. The soldiers were swept away...
Bear Kills Kashmir Militants
THAT'S MY CAVE, MAN
Nov 4, 2009 2:40 AM CST
Bear Kills Kashmir Militants
Pair didn't have time to fire weapons in cave
- Two Islamic militants were killed by a bear in their—and, likely, its—cave hideout in Indian-controlled Kashmir today. “The attack seems to have been so violent and quick that both the militants had no chance to fire back at the wild animal,” a military official tells the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
2 Arrested After Shooting That Left 6 Dead, Including Infant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.