Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Angry Elephants Damage
Car That Hit a Calf
Nov 28, 2023 9:50 AM CST
Angry Elephants Damage Car That Hit a Calf
Family of 3 escapes unhurt after their vehicle was roughed up in Malaysia; calf walked away
- Malaysian police had to investigate an unusual case of road rage in which the angered party was a herd of elephants. It seems a 48-year-old driver struck an elephant calf with his car on a highway Sunday evening in foggy, rainy conditions, reports the
. "Seeing this, the...
Criticism of Anti-Gay Laws
Brings Music Festival to an End
Jul 22, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Criticism of Anti-Gay Laws Brings Music Festival to an End
Malaysian government says Matty Healy and 1975 promised not to do that
- Good Vibes came to an end mid-set when Malaysia stopped a performance during the music festival's opening night in response to a singer's criticism of the nation's anti-LGBTQ+ laws. On Saturday, organizers announced that the government had canceled the three-day event in Kuala Lumpur because of Matty...
Comedian Says Reaction to
MH370 Joke Is 'Ridiculous'
Jun 14, 2023 5:31 PM CDT
Comedian Says Reaction to MH370 Joke Is 'Ridiculous'
Jocelyn Chia says 'edgy' humor was meant for American comedy club audience
- Joceyln Chia says it is "ridiculous" for Malaysian police to get Interpol involved in their investigation of a joke she made about missing flight MH370. The American comedian tells the BBC that she joked about the flight in a New York City comedy club and a clip posted on...
May 29, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Malaysia Thinks Chinese Barge Was Looting WWII Warships
Chinese-registered vessel busted on suspicion of illegally salvaging 2 UK shipwrecks
- Malaysia's maritime agency said Monday it found a cannon shell believed to be from World War II on a Chinese-registered vessel and was investigating if the barge carrier was involved in the looting of two British warship wrecks in the South China Sea. Illegal salvage operators were believed to...
Elderly Couple Fried Up Some
Fish for Lunch. Both Died
in case you missed it
Apr 15, 2023 8:10 AM CDT
Elderly Couple Fried Up Some Fish for Lunch. Both Died
Daughter is now demanding stricter laws in Malaysia around toxic puffer fish
- A woman has sent up a red flag and is now lobbying for stronger laws in Malaysia around the sale of a toxic fish after her elderly parents ate some of it for lunch and died. Authorities in the state of Johor say that Lim Siew Guan and her husband,...
This Nation Spends
the Most Time Online
Apr 1, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
This Nation Spends the Most Time Online
South Africans spend average 578 minutes per day on the internet, per Atlas VPN
- It can be hard to accurately estimate how much time we spend online, though Atlas VPN notes that for many of us, it's a "significant portion of our day." Using data on internet usage trends among internet users 16 to 64 years old, the VPN service found...
Company Teases New Evidence
of MH370's Location
Mar 10, 2023 4:15 PM CST
Company Teases New Evidence of MH370's Location
US-based Ocean Infinity wants Malaysia's approval to launch another search
- Nine years after Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 vanished over the Indian Ocean, leaving little evidence of its tragic fate, one of the biggest mysteries in aviation continues to baffle, as evidenced by Netflix's new documentary exploring what might have happened to the Boeing 777 along its route from Kuala...
Palm Oil, Long the Bad Guy,
Has Something to Teach Us
Feb 26, 2023 2:10 PM CST
Palm Oil, Long the Bad Guy, Has Something to Teach Us
Other industries could learn something from its turnaround story
- Depending on how you look at it, palm oil is an angel or a devil. The angelic part is its versatility: no other vegetable oil is like it. As the
puts it, palm oil is cheaper than other options, and works in wonderous ways, making "cookies more healthy,...
Boy Playing in
Ends Up in
Jan 31, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Boy Playing in Shipping Container Ends Up in Another Country
He entered container in Bangladesh, exited in Malaysia 6 days later
- A 15-year-old boy apparently playing hide and seek entered a shipping container in Bangladesh ... and didn't exit until six days later, when the container had been transported to Malaysia. That's 1,600 nautical miles, or more than 1,840 miles, according to maritime tracking site FleetMon . The Malaysian...
Landslide Buries Campsite,
Killing at Least 16
Dec 16, 2022 4:21 AM CST
Landslide Buries Campsite, Killing at Least 16
17 missing in Malaysia disaster
- A landslide early Friday at a hillside tourist campground in Malaysia left 16 people dead and authorities said 17 others were feared buried at the site on an organic farm outside the capital, Kuala Lumpur. An estimated 94 people, all Malaysians, were sleeping at the campsite in Batang Kali in...
Reformist Leader Sworn in
as Malaysian Prime Minister
Nov 24, 2022 9:57 AM CST
Reformist Leader Sworn in as Malaysian Prime Minister
King issues statement after Anwar Ibrahim's nationalist rival refuses to concede
- Long-time opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim was sworn in as Malaysia's prime minister Thursday in a victory for political reformers locked in a battle with Malay nationalists for days after the divisive general election produced a hung Parliament. Broadcast live on national television, Anwar took his oath of office Thursday...
Emerging Form of Trafficking
Turns People Into Scammers
Oct 16, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Emerging Form of Trafficking Turns People Into Scammers
Rights group says 700 Malaysians are trapped in Laos right now
- It's a form of human-trafficking with a high-tech twist: Young men and women who respond to a job offer and end up forced into running online love and investment scams. Voice of America zeroes in on one alleged instance of this involving Malaysia and Laos. The Malaysian International Humanitarian...
'Zero to Singapore on This':
Disabled Man Is Hanged
Apr 27, 2022 3:30 AM CDT
'Zero to Singapore on This': Disabled Man Is Hanged
Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade
- Singapore on Wednesday executed a mentally disabled Malaysian man condemned for a drug offense after a court dismissed a last-minute challenge from his mother and international pleas to spare him. Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade after he was convicted of trafficking about...
2 Divers Found Alive
4 Days After Drifting
Away From Boat
Apr 9, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
2 Divers Found Alive 4 Days After Drifting Away From Boat
But it was too late to save a 14-year-old boy
- Two divers were rescued by fishermen on Saturday four days after they disappeared off a southern Malaysian island and drifted some 70 nautical miles, but it was too late to save a 14-year-old boy. Alexia Alexandra Molina, 18, of France and Adrian Peter Chesters, 46, of Britain, were found early...
Thailand Urged Not to Deport
Transgender Beauty Tycoon
Sep 28, 2021 7:12 PM CDT
Thailand Urged Not to Deport Transgender Beauty Tycoon
Nur Sajat is wanted in Malaysia for 'insulting Islam'
- Authorities in Malaysia say they don't want to "punish" transgender businesswoman Nur Sajat, only to "educate" her. Advocates say the 36-year-old is likely to face serious mistreatment if Thailand deports her back to her homeland. Sajat, a cosmetics entrepreneur who starred in a reality show in 2018,...
Because He Was
3 Minutes Late
Sep 1, 2021 9:49 AM CDT
Shot Putter Loses Gold Because He Was 3 Minutes Late
Malaysian athlete's fate causes controversy at Paralympics
- Controversy at the Paralympics Games: Malaysian shot putter Muhammad Ziyad Zolkefli appeared to have won gold in the shot put in the F20 class. But after the victory on Tuesday, he was disqualified because he had shown up three minutes late for the competition. International Paralympic Committee rep Craig Spence...
Cops Use Steamroller to
Crush Bitcoin Mining Rigs
Jul 19, 2021 4:28 PM CDT
Cops Use Steamroller to Crush Bitcoin Mining Rigs
Authorities in Malaysia say miners stole $2M in electricity from power lines
- A crushing defeat for Bitcoin miners in Malaysia: Authorities in the city of Miri used a steamroller to flatten 1,069 Bitcoin mining rigs in the police station's parking lot, CNBC reports. The machines, which solve complex equations to unlock blocks of the cryptocurrency, were used in illegal operations...
Court Rejects Coroner's Verdict
in Teen's Jungle Death
Jun 16, 2021 8:37 AM CDT
Court Rejects Coroner's Verdict in Teen's Jungle Death
Nora Quoirin's parents maintained 15-year-old would not have gone out on own in Malaysia
- A Malaysian high court found Wednesday that a coroner erred in ruling that the death of a French-Irish teenager whose body was found near a jungle resort was likely due to a misadventure that didn't involve other people. High Court Judge Azizul Azmi Adnan agreed with Nora Anne Quoirin'...
Train Collision Injures
More Than 200
May 25, 2021 12:39 AM CDT
Train Collision Injures More Than 200
3 are in critical condition in Malaysia incident
- Two light rail trains collided in a tunnel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, injuring more than 200 people, in the first major crash for the 23-year-old metro system, the AP reports. Pictures on social media after the Monday night collision showed bloodied passengers, some lying on the floor of the carriage...
Found in Humans Has
May 20, 2021 11:31 AM CDT
New Coronavirus Found in Humans Has Surprising Source
Scientists say this version has jumped from dogs to people—a first
- Most of researchers' attention over the past year has, understandably, focused on COVID, and on SARS-CoV-2, the particular coronavirus that causes it. But when the pandemic initially took hold, one doctor started wondering about what other coronaviruses were out there—and now scientists say that, for the first time, they'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.