Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Workers at This Company's
Sites Keep Dying
Oct 28, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Workers at This Company's Sites Keep Dying
At least 21 dead in coal mine fire in Kazakhstan, the latest in tragedies striking ArcelorMittal Temirtau
- A coal mine fire in central Kazakhstan killed at least 21 workers, while another 25 remained unaccounted for on Saturday, operating company ArcelorMittal Temirtau said in a statement. Some 252 people were working at the Kostenko coal mine at the time of the blaze, believed to have been caused by...
After Their Ride Got
Hit by Space Junk,
3 Are Finally Home
Sep 27, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
After Their Ride Got Hit by Space Junk, 3 Are Finally Home
Astronaut Frank Rubio, 2 cosmonauts return after more than a year in space
- A NASA astronaut and two Russian cosmonauts returned to Earth on Wednesday after being stuck in space for just over a year. As the AP reports, American Frank Rubio set a record for the longest US spaceflight—a result of the extended stay. The trio landed in a remote area...
Xi Meeting Comes at
a Bad Time for Putin
Sep 15, 2022 8:25 AM CDT
Xi Meeting Comes at a Bad Time for Putin
Analysts say setbacks for Russia in Ukraine war are making China nervous
- China's President Xi Jinping has left China for the first time since before the pandemic for a trip that included a meeting with his Russian counterpart—and analysts say the timing is very unfortunate for Vladimir Putin. Russian forces have been retreating in Ukraine and "even the prospect...
Jul 9, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Wimbledon Final Features Firsts
Russian-born Rybakina brings Kazakhstan its first title
- Elena Rybakina resumed her rise through tennis, which was interrupted by the pandemic, on Saturday with a 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory over Ons Jabeur to become a Wimbledon women's champion. The 23-year-old, who was ranked 23rd in the world coming into the tournament, remained calm and composed throughout the...
Blinken's History Lesson
Doesn't Amuse Russia
Jan 8, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Blinken's History Lesson Doesn't Amuse Russia
Nations take their shots just before talks begin on Ukraine
- Addressing the situation in Kazakhstan, where Russian forces are helping to put down violent protests, Secretary of State Antony Blinken suggested that inviting President Vladimir Putin to send military help is the easy part. "One lesson of recent history is that once Russians are in your house, it's...
With Dozens Dead,
Kazakhstan Says Order
Jan 7, 2022 12:01 AM CST
With Dozens Dead, Kazakhstan Says Order 'Mainly Restored'
Thousand of Russian troops are arriving in Central Asian country
- The president of Kazakhstan on Friday declared that constitutional order was "mainly restored" after the country was engulfed in unprecedented unrest in recent days. "An anti-terror operation has commenced. Law enforcement agencies are working hard. Constitutional order has been mainly restored in all regions of the country. Local...
Kazakhstan Asks for Help
Jan 5, 2022 6:10 PM CST
Kazakhstan Asks for Help Containing Protests
Government resigns after demonstrators set presidential residence on fire
- A Russia-led military alliance said Thursday that it will dispatch peacekeeping forces to Kazakhstan after the country's president asked for help in controlling protests that escalated into violence, the AP reports. Protesters in Kazakhstan's largest city stormed the presidential residence and the mayor's office Wednesday and set...
Kazakhstan Not So
Sour on Borat These Days
Oct 27, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Kazakhstan Not So Sour on Borat These Days
It's a turnaround from 2006
- When the first
movie was released in 2006, the government of Kazakhstan, outraged by the portrayal of the country as an impoverished, anti-Semitic backwater, banned it and threatened to sue Sacha Baron Cohen. This time around, they've decided that there's no such thing as bad publicity. The...
12 Dead After Plane
Smashes Into Building
Dec 27, 2019 1:02 AM CST
12 Dead After Plane Smashes Into Building
Kazakhstan plane was carrying 98 people
- At least 12 people were killed when a passenger jet carrying 98 people slammed into a building shortly after taking off from an airport in Kazakhstan, authorities say. The Bek Air flight was en route from Almaty, the country's largest city, to the capital, Nur-Sultan, the BBC reports. Kazakhstan'...
They're Twins. With 77 Days
Between Their Birthdays
Aug 27, 2019 7:56 AM CDT
They're Twins. With 77 Days Between Their Birthdays
Their Kazakh mother just learned of her double uterus
- A mother in Kazakhstan is celebrating the birth of a son almost three months after his twin sister was delivered. The 77-day wait—10 days shy of the world record interval for twin births—isn't all that makes this one exceedingly rare, per Live Science . According to the country'...
2 Months After Burial,
Dead Brother Shows Up
Nov 6, 2018 8:22 AM CST
2 Months After Burial, Dead Brother Shows Up
Aigali Supygaliev had just taken a job in a nearby village, not died
- "Uncle Aigali," as Kazakhstan's Aigali Supygaliev is known to those close to him, is also known for wandering off from time to time, sometimes for a week or two at a stretch, so when the 63-year-old vanished from his hometown of Tomarly in June, his family waited...
Olympic Figure Skater
Stabbed to Death
Jul 20, 2018 2:02 AM CDT
Olympic Figure Skater Stabbed to Death
Authorities say thieves killed Denis Ten
- Kazakhstan is in mourning for a beloved Olympic athlete who was murdered by thieves on a street in the country's biggest city. Authorities in the central Asian country say Denis Ten, a 25-year-old figure skater, was fatally stabbed in Almaty by two men who had been trying to steal...
200K Antelopes Died Suddenly.
Now Scientists Know Why
Jan 18, 2018 10:15 AM CST
200K Antelopes Died Suddenly. Now Scientists Know Why
High heat and humidity altered bacteria in their bodies: study
- Saiga antelopes have been roaming Central Asia since the time of the woolly mammoth, an achievement only a resilient species could pull off. But now, "total extinction" may be on the horizon. That's according to researchers studying the deaths of more than 200,000 endangered saigas in Kazakhstan...
Actor's High-Five to
'Mankini' Wearers: I'll Pay Fine
Nov 21, 2017 7:47 AM CST
Actor's High-Five to 'Mankini' Wearers: I'll Pay Fine
Sacha Baron Cohen offers to take care of tab after 6 Czech tourists are arrested in Kazakhstan
- If you do the crime, you gotta pay the fine. Unless you're a huge Borat fan and the actor who plays him happens to get wind of your overseas transgression. Such is the fate of a half-dozen Czech tourists, who were detained earlier this month for running around the...
Worthy Stunt Ends
Badly in Kazakhstan
Nov 16, 2017 10:50 AM CST
Worthy Stunt Ends Badly in Kazakhstan
6 Czech tourists detained for wearing mankinis
- Six Czech tourists who dressed up in skimpy swimsuits made famous by Sacha Baron Cohen's Borat character have reportedly been detained by authorities in Kazakhstan's capital of Astana. Sporting lime-green "mankinis" and black wigs, the men had hoped to take a picture in front of the "...
Little-Known City May Become
World's Next Hot Spot
Jun 27, 2017 9:35 AM CDT
Little-Known City May Become World's Next Hot Spot
2017 world's fair has begun in Kazakhstan capital of Astana
- For many people, Kazakhstan is probably best known as the home of fictional newscaster Borat, who made a mockery of the former Soviet republic in the hit 2006 comedy film named after him. But while the country's capital, Astana, may not currently rank as one of the great travel...
This May Be the Weirdest
Request for Directions Ever
Feb 17, 2017 1:00 AM CST
This May Be the Weirdest Request for Directions Ever
Helicopter pilot lands to ask a trucker
- Some guys will never ask for directions. And some guys have no qualms about landing a military helicopter in the middle of the road to do so. A post at RT explains the bizarre scene captured on video . The pilot of a Kazakhstani chopper landed his $14 million aircraft on...
Soyuz Returns 3 From ISS
Oct 30, 2016 7:33 AM CDT
Soyuz Returns 3 From ISS
Including NASA astronaut Kate Rubins, after 4-month mission
- A Russian Soyuz space capsule has landed in Kazakhstan, reports the AP , bringing three astronauts from the United States, Japan, and Russia back to Earth from a 115-day mission aboard the International Space Station. The landing took place Sunday morning near Dzhezkazgan on the treeless Central Asian steppes. Kate Rubins...
Dune and It
Jun 20, 2016 10:13 AM CDT
Slide Down This Sand Dune and It Starts 'Singing'
And Kazakhstan dune isn't the only one that does this
- Some visitors go to Kazakhstan's Altyn-Emel National Park—a preserve the CBC says is four times the size of Hong Kong—to view ancient burial sites or catch a glimpse of wildlife; others go to listen to the park's famous singing dune. The nearly 500-foot-high pile of sand,...
Humans and 'Unicorns'
May Have Coexisted
Mar 29, 2016 4:55 PM CDT
Humans and 'Unicorns' May Have Coexisted
Research finds the 'Siberian unicorn' is much younger than we thought
- Unicorns are real, and they're a lot younger than we thought. Researchers from Russia's Tomsk State University were digging at a fossil site in Kazakhstan when they found bones belonging to the
, otherwise known as the "Siberian unicorn," Huffington Post reports. According to IFL...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.