Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Who Threatened
Merriam-Webster Is Sentenced
Apr 15, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
Man Who Threatened Merriam-Webster Is Sentenced
Jeremy Hanson will likely spend an additional 4 months in prison
- A California man who pleaded guilty to sending repeated death threats to Merriam-Webster because he was upset with its definitions on gender identity has been sentenced to one year and one day in prison. The sentence handed down to Jeremy David Hanson by a federal court in Massachusetts on Thursday...
GOP Lawmaker Rants Against
'Demon' Transgender People
Apr 11, 2023 7:22 AM CDT
GOP Lawmaker Rants Against 'Demon' Transgender People
Florida Rep. Webster Barnaby got pushback from both Dems, Republicans after 'mutant' remarks
- On Monday, a legislative hearing was held in Florida over the Safety in Private Spaces Act , which would bar anyone from using a restroom if it didn't match the sex they'd been assigned at birth. Comments from one particular lawmaker, however, stunned colleagues on both sides of the...
Sep 17, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Youngkin Policy for Transgender Students Upends Northam's
Teachers can't be made to call students by name, pronouns of choice: draft of revamped guidelines
- A new draft for "model policies" within Virginia's public schools was released Friday, designed to replace those put in place in 2021 by former Gov. Ralph Northam for transgender and nonbinary students. Per WRIC , the new guidelines from the state's Department of Education under GOP Gov. Glenn...
New Data Sheds
Light on Adults
Who Say They're
Jun 9, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
New Data Sheds Light on Adults Who Say They're Transgender
More than 5% of those surveyed between ages of 18 and 29 identify as trans or nonbinary, per Pew
- According to new data from the Pew Research Center , more people than ever before say they identify as or know someone who's transgender (meaning their gender doesn't match the sex they were assigned at birth) or nonbinary, meaning someone who doesn't identify within the confines of just...
Putin Drags JK Rowling
Into Latest 'Bizarre Rant'
Mar 25, 2022 12:12 PM CDT
Putin Drags JK Rowling Into Latest 'Bizarre Rant'
Leader says both Russia, 'Harry Potter' author have been 'canceled'—Rowling for her trans views
- It's not terribly surprising that Vladimir Putin might try to control the narrative on his country's invasion of Ukraine by painting Russia as some kind of victim. And he did just that during a Friday address on state TV, touching on the concept of "cancel culture" and...
Idaho Bill on Trans Youth
Could Send Parents
to Prison for Life
Mar 10, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Idaho Bill on Trans Youth Could Send Parents to Prison for Life
They could be hit with felony for seeking gender-affirming medical care for kids, even in other states
- As parents of transgender children in Texas grapple with the state's new law over providing gender-affirming medical care, Idaho parents are now facing similar issues, with even more restrictions piled on. The
reports that on Tuesday, the Idaho House of Representatives passed a bill barring such medical...
White House Slams 'Dangerous'
Move by Texas Governor
Feb 24, 2022 9:20 AM CST
White House Slams 'Dangerous' Move by Texas Governor
Greg Abbott wants gender-transitioning procedures investigated as child abuse
- Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday ordered Texas' child welfare agency to investigate reports of "gender-transitioning procedures" as child abuse, in a move LGBTQ advocates say will strip transgender children of their rights. Legislation to classify gender-affirming medical care as child abuse passed the state Senate but failed to pass...
in a Big First
Oct 27, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
'X' Marks US Passport in a Big First
United States has issued one with 'X' gender designation instead of 'male' or 'female'
- The US has issued its first passport with an "X" gender designation—a milestone in the recognition of the rights of people who don't identify as male or female—and expects to be able to offer the option more broadly next year, the State Department said Wednesday. The...
California Has New Rule
for Toy Departments
Oct 11, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
California Has New Rule for Toy Departments
Big stores must have gender-neutral sections
- California has become the first state to require large department stores to display toys in gender-neutral ways. The new law, signed by Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom over the weekend, does not outlaw traditional boys and girls sections at department stores, per the AP . Instead, it says large stores must also...
Till Age 18
Oct 27, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Emily Ratajkowski Won't 'Know' Baby's Gender Till Age 18
Supermodel announces pregnancy, says she won't impose an identity on her soon-to-arrive child
- Emily Ratajkowski's "pumpkin spice" hair is making headlines , but that isn't the biggest news of the week for her. In an essay for
, the 29-year-old supermodel reveals she's pregnant, but if you're tempted to ask if she's having a boy or a girl,...
He Wanted a New
Was Steep. He
Had a Plan.
Jul 27, 2018 11:10 AM CDT
He Wanted a New Car. Insurance Was Steep. He Had a Plan.
Canadian driver applied for gender status change on paperwork to cut his premium rates
- "I'm a man, 100%. Legally, I'm a woman," a Canadian man boasts to the CBC in explaining how he "beat the system" to save $900 a year on his car insurance. How "David" of Alberta (who requested anonymity) did it: He got a doctor'...
He Was Set to Be Valedictorian.
Then His School Booted Him
Oct 1, 2017 2:12 PM CDT
He Was Set to Be Valedictorian. Then His School Booted Him
Transgender student says he was told by Christian school not to come on campus
- A high school senior says the private Christian school in New Hampshire that he'd attended since kindergarten told him he was no longer welcome because of his gender identity and suggested he get counseling, the AP reports. Stiles Zuschlag, of Lebanon, Maine, tells Seacoast Media Group he'd excelled...
At One Private School,
Boys Could Soon Wear Skirts
May 16, 2017 8:00 PM CDT
At One Private School, Boys Could Soon Wear Skirts
London school is considering gender-neutral uniforms
- Last year, a group of boys in the UK made headlines when they wore skirts to school after they were disciplined for wearing shorts on a very hot day. Now the private Highgate School in north London is considering a plan that would allow boys to do just that, reports...
Jim Davis: Yes,
Garfield Is Male, Geez
Mar 2, 2017 3:40 PM CST
Jim Davis: Yes, Garfield Is Male, Geez
The internet got into a serious thing about Garfield's gender identity
- Last week, the internet nearly tore itself asunder arguing about Garfield's gender identity. Yes, that lasagna-loving, Monday-hating Garfield. The literal cat fight started when writer Virgil Texas pointed to a 2014 interview in which creator Jim Davis said Garfield is "not really male or female" because he's...
55-Year-Old Gets Historic,
Accurate Birth Certificate
Jan 2, 2017 8:38 AM CST
55-Year-Old Gets Historic, Accurate Birth Certificate
Sara Kelly Keenan wasn't told the truth of her genes until recently
- Sara Kelly Keenan is 55 years old, and the birth certificate she has just now received is making headlines. Born in Brooklyn and put up for adoption, she was initially called a boy, then three weeks later, her birth certificate declared her a girl, NBC News reports. With female genitalia,...
Men Think Going Green
Will Make Them Wimps
Sep 4, 2016 11:01 AM CDT
Men Think Going Green Will Make Them Wimps
But researchers say the right marketing can sway them
- A business professor recently set out to learn what is driving one longstanding gender gap. Women tend to be more environmentally conscious than men on all kinds of levels, from energy use to concern about climate change, reports the
. So Notre Dame business professor James Wilkie conducted seven...
WHO May Stop
as Mental Disorder
Jul 27, 2016 8:11 AM CDT
WHO May Stop Classifying Transgender ID as Mental Disorder
New guidebook will likely make big update
- For years, being transgender has been considered a mental disorder that's listed in the World Health Organization's "International Classification of Diseases" guidebook under "gender identity disorders." But now the WHO is considering declassifying transgender identity as such in the guide's new edition, the first...
Target: Use Restroom That Matches Your Gender Identity
Apr 20, 2016 11:31 AM CDT
Target: Use Restroom That Matches Your Gender Identity
Retailer takes a stand for 'inclusivity,' solidarity with transgender community
- A "religious freedom" mandate in Mississippi and North Carolina's so-called "bathroom bill"—which dictates, among other things, that transgender people must use bathrooms aligned with their birth gender—has triggered big-name stars , TV and film production companies , and businesses to boycott. Now Target is taking a...
Has Its First
Nov 8, 2015 4:42 PM CST
California Has Its First Transgender Cheerleader
Anry Fuentes makes history
- Anry Fuentes seems to be finding more acceptance on her cheerleading squad than she did at home. At 18, Anry has made history by becoming the only transgender cheerleader in California and one of very few across the nation, the Daily Beast reports. "People are scared of what they...
Feb 4, 2015 4:59 PM CST
Bruce Jenner's Mom Gives Interview on Son's Transition
The 88-year-old talks to the AP about her son's gender journey
- It's the closest a member of the Jenner clan has come to confirming that Bruce Jenner is transitioning to a woman: In a nearly hour-long phone interview with the AP , Jenner's 88-year-old mother, Esther, had this to say when asked, "Have you spoken to Bruce recently about...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.