Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Leader of Plot to Kidnap
Governor Learns His Fate
Dec 28, 2022 11:20 AM CST
Leader of Plot to Kidnap Governor Learns His Fate
Barry Croft Jr. gets more than 19 years
- A Delaware trucker described as a co-leader of the conspiracy to kidnap Michigan's governor was sentenced to almost 20 years in prison on Wednesday, a day after an accomplice received 16 years behind bars . Prosecutors had sought a life sentence for Barry Croft Jr., 47, who was the fourth...
Co-Leader of Plot to Kidnap
Governor Is Sentenced
Dec 27, 2022 10:40 AM CST
Co-Leader of Plot to Kidnap Governor Is Sentenced
Adam Fox gets 16 years in foiled scheme to abduct Michigan's governor
- The co-leader of a plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has been sentenced to 16 years in prison. Adam Fox returned to federal court Tuesday, four months after he and Barry Croft Jr. were convicted of conspiracy charges in Grand Rapids, Michigan, per the AP . They were accused of...
3 Helpers Get Prison Time
in Whitmer Kidnap Plot
Dec 15, 2022 11:50 AM CST
3 Helpers Get Prison Time in Whitmer Kidnap Plot
They were convicted of helping a leader of the kidnap scheme in Michigan
- A judge on Thursday handed down the longest prison terms so far in the plot to kidnap Michigan's governor , sentencing three men who forged an early alliance with a leader of the scheme before the FBI broke it up in 2020, per the AP . Joe Morrison, Pete Musico, and...
Judge: In 35
This in Court
Oct 15, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Judge: In 35 Years, I've Never Seen This in Court
Juror in Gov. Whitmer kidnap trial dismissed for apparently flirting with one of the defendants
- A judge has dismissed a young woman from the jury hearing the trial of three men in connection with a 2020 plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer after attorneys accused her of flirting with one of the defendants, per the AP . Judge Thomas Wilson announced Friday that the woman...
Michigan Kidnap Plotter Gets
Prison, Apologizes to Whitmer
Oct 6, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Michigan Kidnap Plotter Gets Prison, Apologizes to Whitmer
Judge goes light, saying Kaleb Franks 'came clean'
: A Michigan man who admitted plotting to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer was sentenced Thursday to four years in prison, given credit by the judge for testifying for the prosecution in two related trials. Kaleb Franks "made the right decision and came clean," US District Judge Robert Jonker...
In Plot to Kidnap Governor,
2 Guilty Verdicts
Aug 23, 2022 11:09 AM CDT
In Plot to Kidnap Governor, 2 Guilty Verdicts
Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. face life in prison over plans to abduct Gretchen Whitmer in Michigan
- A jury on Tuesday convicted two men of conspiring to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in 2020, in a plot prosecutors described as a rallying cry for a US civil war by anti-government extremists. The jury also found Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. guilty of conspiring to obtain a...
In Governor Kidnapping
Case, No Guilty Verdicts
Apr 8, 2022 2:23 PM CDT
In Governor Kidnapping Case, No Guilty Verdicts
Two men are acquitted, and the jury deadlocked on the other two
- The government's case against four men accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor ended Friday with the acquittal of two men and the jury deadlocked on the other two. In other words, zero convictions. The
describes it as a "a staggering blow to the government...
FBI Raids Home After Threats
in Mich. Gov Kidnap Case
Mar 31, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
FBI Raids Home After Threats in Mich. Gov Kidnap Case
Prosecution has rested its case
- The FBI says it is investigating alleged death threats made in connection with the ongoing trial of four men accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. FBI spokesperson Mara Schneider says a Detroit-area home was raided last week over alleged threats to trial participants including the judge and...
Whitmer Plot Suspect Wanted
to Kill Police, Doctors: Witness
Mar 20, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Whitmer Plot Suspect Wanted to Kill Police, Doctors: Witness
Defendant was angered by the possibility of vaccine mandates, informant testifies
- One of the men plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor also had ideas for heading off COVID-19 vaccine mandates, an informant has testified: Kill the police officers who would enforce the mandates, cut off the heads of lawyers who support the vaccines, and blow up the places where vaccines are...
in Bizarre Plot
Mar 8, 2022 1:26 PM CST
Trial Begins in Bizarre Plot to Kidnap Governor
Four men accused in Michigan are expected to use an entrapment defense
- With secret recordings and other evidence, prosecutors are pledging to show how four men were united behind a wild plot to kidnap Michigan's governor in response to her aggressive steps to slow down COVID-19 during the early months of the pandemic. Jury selection began Tuesday in a trial that...
Michigan Drivers, Your
$400 Checks Are Coming
Dec 7, 2021 12:56 PM CST
Michigan Drivers, Your $400 Checks Are Coming
State to refund residents for every vehicle they insure
- Michigan drivers have typically paid some of the highest auto insurance rates in the nation for years, but they're about to get a little payback. Drivers will soon get $400 for every insured vehicle they own, reports NPR . The money is part of an insurance overhaul in the state,...
$600M Flint Settlement
Nov 10, 2021 7:10 PM CST
Judge Approves $600M Flint Settlement
Thousands will be eligible for payments over contaminated water
: Calling it "a remarkable achievement," a judge in Michigan has approved a $626.5 million settlement for thousands of people in Flint whose water was contaminated with lead. US District Judge Judith Levy said Wednesday that the package "is consistent for every qualifying participant, regardless...
Response to Lead Crisis
Oct 14, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Michigan Governor Orders Sweeping Response to Lead Crisis
After criticism, Whitmer says Benton Harbor's pipes will be replaced in 18 months
- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Thursday ordered a "whole-of-government" response to elevated levels of lead in Benton Harbor's water and vowed to accelerate the replacement of the southwestern Michigan community's lead pipes. Her directive that state agencies ensure residents have safe tap water came about a week...
Defendant in Plot
to Kidnap Governor
Aug 25, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Defendant in Plot to Kidnap Governor Gets Prison
Judge goes light after prosecutors praise Ty Garbin's cooperation
- The only defendant to admit plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor last year was sentenced to prison on Wednesday. Ty Garbin, 25, was given a prison term of six years, three months in federal court in Grand Rapids, the
New York Times
reports. Prosecutors said Garbin was driven by anger...
Whitmer Rescinds Rule
She Violated in Mich. Bar
May 24, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
Whitmer Rescinds Rule She Violated in Mich. Bar
Gatherings of more than 6 people at a table will be allowed as of June 1
- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's administration on Monday rescinded a rule that limits restaurant tables to no more than six people, a day after she apologized for violating the COVID-19 regulation while gathering with friends at an East Lansing bar. The Democratic governor has said tables at the Landshark...
Sorry: 'I Made
May 24, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
After Eyebrow- Raising Picture, Whitmer Says Sorry: 'I Made a Mistake'
Photo showed Mich. governor with large group at local restaurant, violating her own health order
- Earlier this month, Michigan's Department of Health and Human Services updated its guidelines regarding eating out, mandating that patrons dining together be restricted to six people, and that groups be spaced 6 feet apart. On Saturday, a notable name violated that health order: Gretchen Whitmer, the state's governor,...
Gretchen Whitmer Kidnap Plot
Now Includes WMD Charges
Apr 29, 2021 1:59 AM CDT
Gretchen Whitmer Kidnap Plot Now Includes WMD Charges
3 men accused in scheme face new charges involving weapons of mass destruction
- Three of the more than a dozen people charged in a kidnapping plot involving Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer now face new weapons of mass destruction charges. Adam Fox, 40, Barry Croft, 45, and Daniel Joseph Harris, 23, were on Wednesday hit with charges they knowingly conspired to use WMDs, CNN...
CDC to Michigan:
Shut Down Again
Apr 13, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
CDC to Michigan: Shut Down Again
Gretchen Whitmer wants more vaccines; federal government has different ideas
- Michigan's current coronavirus outbreak is the worst one in the US, and now the state's governor and the White House are in what CNN refers to as a "standoff" (or, if you prefer the
New York Times
' take, "at loggerheads") over vaccines. Gov. Gretchen...
Youth Sports Is a Suspect
as Infections Increase
Apr 11, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Youth Sports Is a Suspect as Infections Increase
Michigan's governor asks for a timeout, though some teams are declining
- With the rates of young people hospitalized for COVID-19 climbing, especially in Upper Midwest states, officials again are looking for ways to reverse the trend. Sports is one focus. Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer would like organized youth sports, games and practices, to take a two-week break. It's not so...
Feds Get First Conviction
in Plot to Kidnap Governor
Jan 27, 2021 12:02 PM CST
Feds Get First Conviction in Plot to Kidnap Governor
'Wolverine Watchmen' member Ty Garbin agrees to testify against other plotters
- One of six men accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer pleaded guilty Wednesday and agreed to testify against the other five suspects. Ty Garbin, a 25-year-old aircraft mechanic, will be sentenced July 8 on a federal charge of conspiracy to commit kidnapping, which carries a maximum sentence...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.