Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Northam's Word Choice Gets
Him Deeper Into Hot Water
Feb 11, 2019 3:08 PM CST
Northam's Word Choice Gets Him Deeper Into Hot Water
Embattled Virginia governor refers to slaves as 'indentured servants'
- Virginia's already-embattled governor may have stepped in it Monday: In an interview with
CBS This Morning
, Ralph Northam, embroiled in a blackface scandal, started things off by saying:
"Well it has been a difficult week. And you know if you look at Virginia's history we are now
Needs My 'Moral Compass'
Feb 10, 2019 10:17 AM CST
Northam: Virginia Needs My 'Moral Compass'
'I'm not going anywhere,' embattled governor says
- Ralph Northam says he "doesn't live in a vacuum," and he's aware of calls for his resignation and he's "thought about resigning." But he tells
CBS This Morning
that "Virginia also needs someone who is strong, who has empathy, who has courage,...
Virginia Has a New Blackface
Scandal on Its Hands
Feb 6, 2019 11:19 AM CST
Virginia Has a New Blackface Scandal on Its Hands
Attorney General Mark Herring admits to donning blackface in college in 1980
- Who's next in line if Virginia's Democratic governor goes? The answer just got thornier. On Wednesday, the No. 3 in line copped to wearing blackface while in college in 1980. Democratic Attorney General Mark Herring issued a lengthy statement in which he said that as a 19-year-old he...
Va. Gov: Dump
Jun 23, 2015 11:16 AM CDT
Va. Gov: Dump Confederate License Plates
Symbol 'unnecessarily divisive and hurtful': Terry McAuliffe
- Walmart has dumped its Confederate flag merchandise , South Carolina pols are pushing to rid the symbol from the Capitol , and now Virginia's governor says he wants to erase the icon he calls "unnecessarily divisive and hurtful" from license plates. Terry McAuliffe announced his intentions this morning in Richmond,...
I Won't Defend Ban on Gay Marriage
Jan 23, 2014 7:44 AM CST
Virginia's AG: I Won't Defend Ban on Gay Marriage
Herring says law is unconstitutional
- Virginia's brand new attorney general is wasting no time backing away from his controversial predecessor, telling NPR this morning that his office will no longer defend the state's ban on gay marriage. "As attorney general, I cannot and will not defend laws that violate Virginians' rights,"...
Democrat Wins Virginia's
AG Race—by 165 Votes
Nov 25, 2013 10:37 AM CST
Democrat Wins Virginia's AG Race—by 165 Votes
But recount expected in state's tightest-ever election
- Virginia has declared a winner in the state's tightest election ever: Democrat Mark Herring has been certified as the next state attorney general. But the fight may not be over: The
expects a recount. More than 2 million voted in the election, but Herring beat fellow state...
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.