Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 61 - 80 |
These States Are Pulling
Their Weight for US Economy
Jun 5, 2023 2:49 PM CDT
These States Are Pulling Their Weight for US Economy
Washington state has the best economy, West Virginia the worst, per WalletHub ranking
- When it comes to the US economy, a variety of factors underlie its health (or lack thereof), with the economies of individual states playing a significant part. WalletHub wanted to see which ones are really pulling their weight when it comes to contributing to the national coffers, so it looked...
New Hurdle for Elon Musk:
His Texas Neighbors
Jun 4, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
New Hurdle for Elon Musk: His Texas Neighbors
Locals living near his business sites are raising a stink about massive construction projects
- It's a snapshot of a challenging crossroads in the ambitious (non-Twitter) business plans of Elon Musk. The
reports that residents of rural Bastrop County, Texas, home to growing facilities for both SpaceX and the Boring Co., are concerned about the impact on the environment. And this in...
Abbott Makes His Choice
to Replace Paxton During Trial
May 31, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
Abbott Makes His Choice to Replace Paxton During Trial
John Scott represented Trump for three days
- Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday appointed John Scott to temporarily serve as Texas' attorney general after the House of Representatives voted to impeach Ken Paxton over allegations of misconduct and crimes. The historic impeachment triggered Paxton's automatic suspension from office pending the outcome of a trial in the state...
Historic Texas Impeachment
Trial to Start by Aug. 28
May 30, 2023 12:32 AM CDT
Historic Texas Impeachment Trial to Start by Aug. 28
Ken Paxton has been suspended as attorney general pending trial's outcome
- A historic impeachment trial in Texas to determine whether Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton should be permanently removed from office will begin no later than Aug. 28 in the state Senate, where the jury that would determine his future could include his wife, Sen. Angela Paxton, the AP reports. Setting...
Paxton Tweets Trump Praise as
House Debates Impeachment
May 27, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
Paxton Tweets Trump Praise as House Debates Impeachment
Texas House considers sending Ken Paxton to Senate trial
- While the Texas House considered impeaching him on Saturday, Ken Paxton offered counterprograming in his personal Twitter feed. As the hearing began in the state Capitol in Austin, the state attorney general posted screenshots of praise that former President Donald Trump put up on Truth Social,
the New York Times
Critics Say Winnie-the-Pooh
Book Normalizes Shootings
May 26, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Critics Say Winnie-the-Pooh Book Normalizes Shootings
Book featuring Winnie the Pooh puts onus on the kids, according to Dallas-area teacher
- Texas has led the country in banning books from school libraries . For its part, the Dallas Independent School District has said it may remove library materials that are "pervasively vulgar." Amid that context, parents of district students are wondering why a book that they argue normalizes school shootings...
Panel Sends Texas House
May 25, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Panel Sends Texas House Impeachment Recommendation
Chamber could vote Friday on removing Ken Paxton
- A legislative committee in Texas has voted unanimously to recommend that state Attorney General Ken Paxton be impeached. The House General Investigating Committee held the vote Thursday after public hearings this week in which investigators presented findings about ways they said Paxton abused the power of his office for years....
Texas GOP Panel Accuses
Attorney General of Crimes
May 24, 2023 5:01 PM CDT
Texas GOP Panel Accuses Attorney General of Crimes
Ken Paxton wants state money to settle whistleblower suit against him
- A Texas House committee aired findings Wednesday that Attorney General Ken Paxton has committed a series of crimes spanning years while in office. The investigation has been in progress for months, though its existence wasn't publicly known until Tuesday, the AP reports. Paxton is a Republican, as are the...
A Year After Uvalde,
Families Feel 'Betrayal'
May 24, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
A Year After Uvalde, Families Feel 'Betrayal'
Parents are still seeking answers in a Texas city torn by massacre that killed 19 children, 2 teachers
- Wednesday is the one-year anniversary of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, which left 19 students and two teachers dead. Plans are in the works for a new school to replace the one where the massacre took place, in a different location in the city. "...
Texas AG Says 'Drunk' State
House Speaker Should Quit
May 23, 2023 7:36 PM CDT
Texas AG Says 'Drunk' State House Speaker Should Quit
Speaker Dade Phelan reveals AG Paxton is being investigated for alleged corruption
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton called for the resignation of another senior Republican Tuesday, alleging that state House Speaker Dade Phelan had presided over the chamber "in a state of apparent debilitating intoxication." A video clip widely shared over the weekend shows Phelan appearing to slur his words...
Cops: Sonic Employee Killed by
12-Year-Old With an AR-15
May 16, 2023 8:43 AM CDT
Cops: Sonic Employee Killed by 12-Year-Old With an AR-15
Matthew Davis had reportedly gone to speak with man found peeing in Texas parking lot
- A 12-year-old is charged with fatally shooting a Sonic employee in Texas. The employee, 32-year-old Matthew Davis, had confronted 20-year-old Angel Gomez after seeing him peeing in the parking lot of the restaurant in Keene around 9:40pm Saturday, police say, per KXAS . At some point, a physical altercation ensued....
Mom Killed While Picking Up
Prom Dress With Daughter
May 16, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
Mom Killed While Picking Up Prom Dress With Daughter
She was caught in crossfire between 2 other cars
- Ana Moreno had taken one of her daughters out to get the teen's hair done and pick up her prom dress for the dance that night when she was caught in crossfire on a Dallas street and killed. The tragedy took place Saturday, the day before Mother's Day,...
Bizarre Mystery Finds Cows
Sliced With 'Apparent Precision'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 13, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
Bizarre Mystery Finds Cows Sliced With 'Apparent Precision'
Similar cow deaths have been described for decades, with no concrete answers
- Seven cows have been found dead with surgical-like cuts across three Texas counties in recent weeks, adding to a larger unsolved mystery of cattle mutilation dating back decades, per the
. In a April 19 statement , the Madison County Sheriff's Office described the discovery of a cow with "...
Cops: Man Gunned Down
Girlfriend Over Abortion
May 13, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Cops: Man Gunned Down Girlfriend Over Abortion
Dallas police say Harold Thompson was angry that Gabriella Gonzalez had procedure in Colorado
- A man who didn't want his girlfriend to get an abortion fatally shot her during a confrontation in a Dallas parking lot, police said. He was jailed on a murder charge as of Friday. Gabriella Gonzalez, 26, was with her boyfriend, 22-year-old Harold Thompson, on Wednesday when he tried...
Texas GOP Puts Stop
to Gun Control Measure
May 10, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Texas GOP Puts Stop to Gun Control Measure
Measure neared House vote before gun rights groups went to work
- Rare momentum in the Texas Capitol for a tougher gun law flickered out Wednesday after Republicans stalled a bill that would raise the purchase age for AR-style rifles, virtually ensuring the GOP-controlled Legislature will in no major way restrict gun access after more mass shootings. The legislation—always a longshot—...
Man Gets 25 Years for
Murder of BLM Protester
May 10, 2023 1:33 PM CDT
Man Gets 25 Years for Murder of BLM Protester
Prosecutors rejected Daniel Perry's self-defense claim
- A US Army sergeant has been sentenced to 25 years for killing a protester during a Black Lives Matter protest in Austin in July 2020. Daniel Perry, 36, was convicted last month of murdering Garrett Foster. Perry's lawyer says he plans to appeal and will cooperate with Texas Gov....
Texas Mall Shooter
Over Mental Health
May 10, 2023 6:10 AM CDT
Army Expelled Texas Mall Shooter Over Mental Health
Gunman was 18 at the time, officials said he had an adjustment disorder
- The gunman who killed eight people and wounded seven others in a shooting at an outlet mall in Allen, Texas, had targeted the shopping center and was carrying three firearms on him when he was killed by a police officer, authorities said Tuesday. He had another five guns in his...
GoFundMe Campaign Surges
for Boy Orphaned by Shooting
May 9, 2023 10:34 AM CDT
GoFundMe Campaign Surges for Boy Orphaned by Shooting
Online fundraiser for William Cho, 6, has raised more than $1.3M in Allen, Texas
- One of the young survivors of the mall shooting in Allen, Texas, has evidently struck a nerve among Americans. A GoFundMe page for 6-year-old William Cho had raised more than $1.3 million as of Tuesday morning. William was orphaned in the shooting—his Korean-American parents, Kyu Cho, 37, and...
After Mass Shooting in Texas,
an Ill-Advised Facebook Post
May 9, 2023 7:51 AM CDT
After Mass Shooting in Texas, an Ill-Advised Facebook Post
Chamber of commerce post welcomed new member 'Pulling Triggers' after tragedy in Allen
- Pulling Triggers and Pulling Corks is "the melding of two amazing worlds," per its website : guns and booze, with a mission of teaching its students firearms skills, as well as holding wine and whiskey events and tastings. What Texas locals didn't find amazing was a promo over...
Lawmaker in Texas Resigns
Before He Can Be Expelled
May 9, 2023 5:48 AM CDT
Lawmaker in Texas Resigns Before He Can Be Expelled
GOP Rep. Bryan Slaton is accused of inappropriate sexual conduct with a 19-year-old
- A Republican Texas state lawmaker resigned Monday ahead of an expected vote to expel him after an investigation found he had inappropriate sexual conduct with a 19-year-old intern, per the AP . The resignation letter of Rep. Bryan Slaton, 45, did not address the allegations. “I look forward to spending...
Stories 61 - 80 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
In an Unannounced Outing, Carters Attend Plains Festival
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.