Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
UPS Driver's Reaction to
First Paycheck Goes Viral
in case you missed it
Nov 27, 2022 4:10 PM CST
UPS Driver's Reaction to First Paycheck Goes Viral
Cuban-born Yoel Garcia reminds Americans to be grateful for what they have
- Yoel Garcia has experienced a lot of firsts since immigrating to the US from Cuba in 2021—from voting in a free and fair election to sitting on Santa's knee —many of which he and his Cuban-American wife, Marissa, have shared with their hundreds of thousands of followers...
NYC Declares Emergency
as Migrants Pour In
Oct 7, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
NYC Declares Emergency as Migrants Pour In
Mayor seeks federal and state help to house arrivals being bused from Texas
- With migrants from Latin America needing shelter and health care arriving by the busload, Mayor Eric Adams declared a state of emergency for New York City on Friday, calling the situation a humanitarian crisis. The mayor said at least 17,000 people seeking asylum have been bused in from other...
At the Border, a Milestone
on Migrant Arrivals
Sep 20, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
At the Border, a Milestone on Migrant Arrivals
There were more than 2M 'encounters' with border officials over the past year—a big first
- There were more migrant arrivals along the US-Mexico border in the past fiscal year than any other: More than 2 million people tried to enter the United States from our southern neighbor, a record achieved in the first 11 months alone. Per a document from US Customs and Border Protection,...
Mass. Asks DOJ to Look
Into DeSantis' 'Inhumane Acts'
Sep 19, 2022 8:54 AM CDT
Mass. Asks DOJ to Look Into DeSantis' 'Inhumane Acts'
Officials want probe into whether moving migrants to Martha's Vineyard was human trafficking
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' decision to transport 50 Venezuelan migrants from Texas to Martha's Vineyard has been slammed by critics as "gross," "unbelievably cruel," and "crimes against humanity." Whether it was illegal or not is another matter, and one that the state of...
DeSantis Flies 50 Migrants
to Martha's Vineyard
Sep 15, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
DeSantis Flies 50 Migrants to Martha's Vineyard
Critics slam Florida governor's move as a stunt
- Ron DeSantis has joined the leagues of Republican governors who've transported migrants to Democratic states, though the people he sent didn't arrive by train but by chartered plane—a total surprise to the Massachusetts island of Martha's Vineyard, which quickly pulled together to assist the confused and...
on Busy Italian Street:
'You Are Killing Him!'
Aug 2, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Vendor Murdered on Busy Italian Street: 'You Are Killing Him!'
32-year-old Italian man has been arrested for death of Nigerian migrant Alika Ogorchukwu, 39
- A man is in custody for murder after a Nigerian immigrant was killed in the middle of the day on a busy Italian street. Police say 39-year-old Alika Ogorchukwu, who'd reportedly been living in Italy for nearly a decade and made a living selling items such as lighters and...
She Told Sons:
'I Hope You Triumph.'
They Died in the Truck
Jun 30, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
She Told Sons: 'I Hope You Triumph.' They Died in the Truck
Tractor-trailer with migrants had passed through federal checkpoint hours earlier
- Among the 53 people who died from extreme heat inside a tractor-trailer in San Antonio this week are two boys from southwestern Guatemala, ages 13 and 14, and a pair of brothers from northwestern Honduras who'd hoped to buy their mother a home. Karen Caballero says her sons, Fernando...
Exposed in Ga.: 'Underworld
of Human Trafficking'
Apr 2, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Exposed in Ga.: 'Underworld of Human Trafficking'
3 men have been sentenced for a 'modern-day slavery' scheme involving Central Americans
- Three men have been sentenced to federal prison as part of a broad investigation into what authorities say was a wide-ranging conspiracy to bring workers from Central America to the United States for forced labor on southern Georgia farms. The three men were charged in separate but related cases related...
Thousands Back Migrants
Oct 17, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
Thousands Back Migrants
Families are camped out in the cold at Poland-Balarus border
- Thousands of protesters marched Sunday in two Polish cities in solidarity with migrants and asylum-seekers at the Poland-Belarus border who have been pushed back by Polish authorities. Several thousand people marched in Warsaw, and others protested in Krakow under the slogan "Stop torture at the border." Marchers accused...
Progress' on Plan
to Deal With Surge
Sep 18, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Official: 'Good Progress' on Plan to Deal With Surge of Migrants
Deportation flights may ramp up Sunday to deal with influx of Haitians at Texas-Mexico border
- The Biden administration worked Saturday on plans to send many of the thousands of Haitian immigrants who've gathered in a Texas border city back to their Caribbean homeland, in a swift response to the huge influx of people who suddenly crossed the border from Mexico and congregated under and...
Biden May Have 'Brewing
Crisis' on Child Migrants
Feb 25, 2021 11:41 AM CST
Biden May Have 'Brewing Crisis' on Child Migrants
Decision to reopen an emergency facility brings charges of hypocrisy
- When President Trump was in office, critics said his immigration policies resulted in children being held in "cages." Now that President Biden has reopened what it calls an "emergency facility" in Carrizo Springs, Texas, for immigrant minors, his critics are accusing him of hypocrisy. Coverage of the...
Migrants Made to 'Remain in
Mexico' Will Soon Arrive in US
Feb 12, 2021 12:28 PM CST
Migrants Made to 'Remain in Mexico' Will Soon Arrive in US
Biden administration rolls back Trump DHS program, will start letting asylum-seekers trickle in
- Starting next Friday, asylum-seekers languishing south of the border will start to see a respite. Under the Trump administration, Central American migrants trying to cross into the US from Mexico were made to "Remain in Mexico"—Trump's name for the Migrant Protection Protocols program , set up in...
Migrants' 911 Calls Spur Search
for Truck: 'We Are Dying'
Feb 11, 2021 9:06 AM CST
Migrants' 911 Calls Spur Search for Truck: 'We Are Dying'
Local authorities in San Antonio, DHS desperately seeking white tanker that may have 80 trapped
- Authorities from the San Antonio Police Department, Bexar County Sheriff's Office, Texas Department of Public Safety, and even the Department of Homeland Security have embarked on a desperate search for a tanker truck that may be crammed with dozens of trapped migrants in a human smuggling operation. Sheriff Javier...
New Book of Bush Paintings
Is an 'Emotional' One
Aug 7, 2020 8:46 AM CDT
New Book of Bush Paintings Is an 'Emotional' One
No. 43 has created 43 portraits of immigrants in hardcover book due out in March
- We've known for a while that George W. Bush took up painting after leaving the White House, but it's been some time since his art has made headlines. That's about to change with
Out of Many, One: Portraits of America's Immigrants
, a new book by Bush...
Judge: Centers Holding
Immigrant Kids Are 'On Fire'
Jun 27, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Judge: Centers Holding Immigrant Kids Are 'On Fire'
Order mandates that children held in 3 Texas, Pa. facilities be released by July 17 due to pandemic
- A federal judge on Friday ordered the release of children held with their parents in US immigration jails and denounced the Trump administration's prolonged detention of families during the pandemic. US District Judge Dolly Gee's order applies to kids held for more than 20 days at three family...
Supreme Court Hands
Trump a Big Loss
Jun 18, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Supreme Court Hands Trump a Big Loss
Justices reject attempt to end protections for young immigrants
- The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected President Trump's effort to end legal protections for 650,000 young immigrants, a rebuke to the president in the midst of his reelection campaign, per the AP . For now, those immigrants retain their protection from deportation and their authorization to work in the...
'Remain in Mexico'
Policy Will Continue
Mar 11, 2020 2:06 PM CDT
'Remain in Mexico' Policy Will Continue
SCOTUS allows controversial policy to stay in place for now
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday said it would allow the Trump administration to continue enforcing a policy that makes asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for US court hearings, despite lower court rulings that the policy probably is illegal, the AP reports. The justices' order, over a dissenting vote by Justice Sonia...
'One of Canada's
Killings' Ends in
Jan 8, 2020 8:35 AM CST
'One of Canada's Most Gruesome Killings' Ends in Surprise Verdict
Zhao Li escapes murder ruling, found guilty of manslaughter instead
- A two-year-plus trial that drew much media attention has ended in Canada, with a verdict that's shocked many. On Tuesday, a judge on British Columbia's Supreme Court found 59-year-old Zhao Li guilty not of murder, but of manslaughter for killing and dismembering his millionaire cousin, 41-year-old Gang Yuan,...
He Put Up Fake Border Signs.
Then He Took Them to 'Finland'
Dec 5, 2019 10:00 AM CST
He Put Up Fake Border Signs. Then He Took Them to 'Finland'
Con man arrested for swindling migrants, dumping them in Russian forest instead of the EU
- They thought they'd found a new life in Finland—but they were really just wandering in circles in a Russian forest. The BBC reports four men from South Asia forked over more than $11,000 each to a man they thought was going to provide them safe passage to...
Minors Who Sought
Now Return Alone
Nov 27, 2019 9:20 AM CST
Minors Who Sought Asylum With Their Families Now Return Alone
135 such children are in US custody and, for now, can't be sent back
- Children as young as 4 are crossing the US-Mexico border alone in what CNN reports is a dangerous consequence of the Trump administration's policy of requiring some migrants to remain in Mexico while their immigration cases play out. Some 60,000 migrants seeking asylum in the US have been...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Warrant: FedEx Driver Panicked After Hitting Girl
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.