Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Cross That Benedict Donated
to German Parish Is Stolen
Jun 20, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Cross That Benedict Donated to German Parish Is Stolen
Unknown thieves broke into Bavarian church on Monday, lifted pectoral cross from display case
- A cross bequeathed by the late Pope Benedict XVI to a parish in his German home region of Bavaria has been stolen from the church where it was exhibited, police said Tuesday. A display case on the wall of the town church in Traunstein was broken open by unknown perpetrators...
You've Seen His Crosses After
Tragedies. It Has Taken Its Toll
Dec 27, 2019 9:54 AM CST
You've Seen His Crosses After Tragedies. It Has Taken Its Toll
Greg Zanis retires from 23-year-old project honoring victims of national tragedies, after 27K crosses
- An Illinois carpenter who's made tens of thousands of white crosses for victims of tragedies in the US—e.g., mass shootings , terror attacks, natural disasters—is finally turning in his hammer after more than two decades. Greg Zanis, who says he's built close to 27,000 crosses...
Cross on Public
Land Can Stay
Jun 20, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
SCOTUS: 40-Foot Cross on Public Land Can Stay
Thursday opinion cites war monument's historical significance
- A 40-foot cross on public land in a Washington, DC, suburb is staying put, thanks to a 7-2 ruling by the Supreme Court. The Maryland Peace Cross in Bladensburg, Md., erected with private funds in 1925 to honor 49 area servicemen killed in World War I, doesn't stand in...
to Rise in Texas,
'Like God Is
Pointing His Finger'
Sep 27, 2016 4:08 PM CDT
Giant Cross to Rise in Texas, 'Like God Is Pointing His Finger'
230-footer in Corpus Christi will be largest in the US
- A big cross is going up in Texas, but "big" is a bit of an understatement. When the steel structure is completed in Corpus Christi, perhaps next year, it will stand 230 feet high. As a feature at
explains, that will make it the biggest in the...
Agrees to Take
Jun 7, 2016 10:21 AM CDT
Texas County Agrees to Take Crosses Off Cop Cars
Gov. Greg Abbott had supported decals, but nonprofit's suit said they were 'unconstitutional'
- A group known for fighting for the separation of church and state has won a victory against Brewster County, Texas, reaching a settlement that has county cops agreeing to remove decals with crosses on them from police cars, Reuters reports. In response to a suit filed this year by the...
Coming to Texas
Feb 3, 2016 7:42 AM CST
America's Largest Cross Coming to Texas
It would tower 210 feet over Corpus Christi
- The largest cross in the US is coming to the "Body of Christ," also known as Corpus Christi, Texas. The Corpus Christi Cross Project broke ground at the Abundant Life Fellowship campus off Interstate 37 on Sunday. Pastor Rick Milby says the massive cross will eventually stretch 95...
to Giant Cross
for 5 Hours in
Oct 8, 2015 9:02 AM CDT
Grandma Clings to Giant Cross for 5 Hours in SC Flood
Clara Gantt and her grandson thought they were done for
- "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you." That's the Bible passage Clara Gantt read out loud as she was interviewed by WIS about an ordeal she won't soon forget. The South Carolina woman...
City Turning Cross
Jan 8, 2015 1:50 AM CST
After Protests, City Turning Cross Into Anchor
48-foot cross has stood over Michigan city for decades
- A 48-foot cross that has stood on a hill over Grand Haven, Mich., for half a century is being turned into a less controversial and more nautical symbol. The city council voted 3-2 on Monday night to convert the cross that stands on city land into an anchor after protests...
Aug 1, 2013 6:44 PM CDT
Archaeologists: We Found Piece of Jesus' Cross
Small relic undergoing tests in Turkey
- Archaeologists working at an ancient church in Turkey think they've unearthed a piece of the world's most famous cross, the one used to crucify Jesus. They found a stone chest during excavation at a 1,350-year-old church, and the chest had a number of relics inside believed to...
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.