Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 21, 2022 6:12 AM CDT
Newsmax Bans Lara Logan After Wild Immigration Theory
Ex-'60 Minutes' reporter said Satan allows for open borders
- Former CBS News correspondent Lara Logan has some out-there ideas on immigration—so out there that she's now banned from the right-wing Newsmax network for airing them. The offending interview took place Wednesday with Eric Bolling, who apparently got the first scoop Logan had on the "global cabal"...
Is Out of Jail
Oct 8, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Anna Sorokin Is Out of Jail
Con woman who'd faked being rich heiress 'Anna Delvey' had been in ICE custody since March 2021
Anna Sorokin, the German national who faked being a rich heiress and inspired Netflix's
, is out of jail. The
reports that Sorokin's attorney confirmed her release Friday from Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention, where she'd been held since March 2021. "She will...
One Question on This Week's
Migrant Moves: Who's Perla?
Sep 16, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
One Question on This Week's Migrant Moves: Who's Perla?
Democrats want to know what new arrivals were told before being sent to Martha's Vineyard, DC
- Immigration re-entered the national conversation in a big way this week thanks to high-profile moves by GOP Govs. Ron DeSantis of Florida and Greg Abbott of Texas. DeSantis sent two planeloads of newly arrived migrants to Martha's Vineyard , while Abbott shipped two busloads of people to the DC residence...
She Told Sons:
'I Hope You Triumph.'
They Died in the Truck
Jun 30, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
She Told Sons: 'I Hope You Triumph.' They Died in the Truck
Tractor-trailer with migrants had passed through federal checkpoint hours earlier
- Among the 53 people who died from extreme heat inside a tractor-trailer in San Antonio this week are two boys from southwestern Guatemala, ages 13 and 14, and a pair of brothers from northwestern Honduras who'd hoped to buy their mother a home. Karen Caballero says her sons, Fernando...
Supreme Court Gives Biden
a Win on Immigration
Jun 30, 2022 9:49 AM CDT
Supreme Court Gives Biden a Win on Immigration
5-4 vote allows administration to end Trump-era 'Remain in Mexico' policy
- In its last major decision of a history-making term , the Supreme Court delivered a ruling the Biden administration will actually like. In a 5-4 vote, the court said President Biden can end a Trump-era immigration policy informally known as "Remain in Mexico," reports CNN . The Migrant Protection Protocols...
Cruz Slams Library of Congress'
New Term for 'Illegal Aliens'
Nov 19, 2021 6:43 AM CST
Cruz Slams Library of Congress' New Term for 'Illegal Aliens'
Texas senator blasts LOC for 'politically motivated' swap of term for 'noncitizens'
- Ted Cruz has no problem with the term "illegal alien," and he's miffed that the Library of Congress is moving away from it. Per the Hill , the GOP senator from Texas, along with Republican Sen. Mike Braun of Indiana, penned a nearly five-page-long letter Wednesday to the...
Biden: Families Separated
at Border Won't Get $450K
Nov 4, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Biden: Families Separated at Border Won't Get $450K
'That's not going to happen,' he says
: President Biden says there is no way families separated at the border under the Trump administration will be getting compensation of $450,000 per person. "That's not going to happen," the president said at a White House briefing Wednesday, per the
New York Times
. He described...
US Puts Focus on Modern
Problem: 'Climate Refugees'
Oct 21, 2021 2:09 PM CDT
US Puts Focus on Modern Problem: 'Climate Refugees'
New report is first comprehensive look at problem, possible remedies
- Worsening climate change requires that the US do much more to track, ease, and manage flows of refugees fleeing natural disasters, the Biden administration said Thursday in what it billed as the federal government's first deep look at the problem. The report recommends a range of steps: doing more...
No More 'Aliens'
Sep 26, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
No More 'Aliens' In California
Gov. Newsom strikes 'offensive' word from state law
- California will strike the word "alien" from the books. Fresh off his recall election blowout , Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday he's signed legislation removing the "offensive" term and replacing it in state law with "non-citizen" and "immigrant," per Axios , which notes the term has...
State Department Fires Back
at Exiting US Envoy to Haiti
Sep 23, 2021 2:25 PM CDT
State Department Fires Back at Exiting US Envoy to Haiti
Diplomat accuses US of 'inhumane' policies, and the department says he's distorting facts
- The Biden administration’s special envoy to Haiti has resigned, protesting "inhumane" large-scale expulsions of Haitian migrants to their homeland as it is wracked by civil strife and natural disaster, US officials said Thursday. Daniel Foote was appointed to the position in July, following the assassination of Haitian President...
Ruling a Big Blow to Dems
Sep 20, 2021 1:23 AM CDT
Senate Parliamentarian's Ruling a Big Blow to Dems
In particular, a blow to their immigration push
- Democrats can’t use their $3.5 trillion package bolstering social and climate programs for their plan to give millions of immigrants a chance to become citizens, the Senate’s parliamentarian said, a crushing blow to what was the party’s clearest pathway in years to attaining that long-sought goal....
Progress' on Plan
to Deal With Surge
Sep 18, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Official: 'Good Progress' on Plan to Deal With Surge of Migrants
Deportation flights may ramp up Sunday to deal with influx of Haitians at Texas-Mexico border
- The Biden administration worked Saturday on plans to send many of the thousands of Haitian immigrants who've gathered in a Texas border city back to their Caribbean homeland, in a swift response to the huge influx of people who suddenly crossed the border from Mexico and congregated under and...
Teens Rank the
9 Biggest Threats
They Are Facing
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Teens Rank the 9 Biggest Threats They Are Facing
Climate change fails to make the top 5
- Teenagers are perhaps less concerned with climate change than you might think, ranking it sixth in a list of the nine greatest threats to their generation, according to a new
-Ipsos poll. The national survey of 1,349 teens aged 14 to 18, conducted online in May and...
SCOTUS to Biden:
'Remain in Mexico' Policy
Aug 25, 2021 1:03 AM CDT
SCOTUS to Biden: Reinstate Trump's 'Remain in Mexico' Policy
High court refuses to block lower court ruling
- The Supreme Court says the Biden administration likely violated federal law in trying to end a Trump-era program that forces people to wait in Mexico while seeking asylum in the US. With three liberal justices in dissent, the high court on Tuesday refused to block a lower court ruling ordering...
Biden: DOJ Will Appeal
'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
Jul 17, 2021 12:50 PM CDT
Biden: DOJ Will Appeal 'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
President renews his call to Congress for a path to citizenship for Dreamers
- President Joe Biden is planning to appeal a ruling from a federal judge in Texas. The judge sided with nine conservative states that sued to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. The DACA program has about 650,000 people enrolled, and their status remains unchanged. But for now...
Federal Judge Rules
Jul 17, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Federal Judge Rules DACA Illegal
Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program protects around 650K people
- Immigration advocates are raising the alarm after US District Judge Andrew Hanen declared the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program illegal, barring the government from approving any new applications, but leaving the program intact for existing recipients. Hanen ruled in favor of Texas and eight other conservative states that sued...
by Barr, Sessions
Jun 16, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
Garland Tosses Asylum Opinions by Barr, Sessions
Immigration judge should drop the old rules, attorney general says
- Attorney General Merrick Garland moved Wednesday to undo a pair of immigration decisions by Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr. The opinions by Garland's predecessors put limits on who could qualify for asylum by claiming to be a persecuted member of a "particular social group," the Hill reports,...
It's a Pivotal Week in Harris'
'Fraught, Fascinating' Tenure
Jun 7, 2021 9:34 AM CDT
It's a Pivotal Week in Harris' 'Fraught, Fascinating' Tenure
All political eyes on the vice president as she heads to Guatemala and Mexico
- Kamala Harris has embarked on her first foreign trip as vice president, though things got off to a bumpy start. Her plane out of Joint Base Andrews had to turn back after 30 minutes because of an unspecified "technical issue" on Sunday, reports the AP . Harris, though, boarded a...
Is, 'to a Certain
Apr 20, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
Bush: GOP Is, 'to a Certain Extent, Nativist'
Former president asks for an end to the harsh rhetoric about immigrants
- Former President George W. Bush delivered his strongest criticism yet of the Republican Party on Tuesday, essentially suggesting he doesn't recognize it anymore. He described the current GOP as "isolationist, protectionist, and to a certain extent, nativist," Politico reports. Bush made the comments in a live interview...
Mom Tries to Cross Rio Grande
With Kids, 9-Year-Old Dies
Mar 27, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Mom Tries to Cross Rio Grande With Kids, 9-Year-Old Dies
BP agents were able to resuscitate migrant mother, 3-year-old, but girl didn't regain consciousness
- Tragedy has struck a mother from Guatemala trying to make her way into the US with her two children, both Mexican nationals.
reports that on March 20, US Border Patrol agents received a rescue call after bystanders saw three people stranded on an island on the Mexican side of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Midshipmen Take Prank Tradition to New Heights
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.