Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
US Man It Calls
Mar 15, 2017 12:19 PM CDT
Poland Issues Warrant for US Man It Calls Nazi Commander
Paving the way to seek extradition of Michael Karkoc from Minnesota
- A court in eastern Poland has issued an arrest warrant for a Minnesota man sought in a Nazi massacre, opening the way for Poland to seek his extradition from the United States, the AP reports. The AP had previously identified the man as 98-year-old Michael Karkoc , an ex-commander in an...
Poland: Minnesota Man Was
Mar 13, 2017 3:05 PM CDT
Poland: Minnesota Man Was Nazi Commander
The nation seeks to extradite Michael Karkoc
- Poland will seek the arrest and extradition of a Minnesota man exposed by the AP as a former commander in an SS-led unit that burned Polish villages and killed civilians in World War II, prosecutors said Monday. Prosecutor Robert Janicki said evidence gathered over years of investigation into US citizen...
Nov 18, 2013 8:14 AM CST
Minneapolis Man Ordered Nazi-led Massacre: Soldier
German prosecutor recommends murder charges against Michael Karkoc
- New evidence suggests that Michael Karkoc, the former Nazi SS commander found living in Minnesota , may have actually ordered the 1944 attack on Chlaniow , in which 44 Polish villagers, including women and children, were killed. Initially, Karkoc was simply said to have been near the scenes of that and other...
Outed Minn. Nazi:
Is It Now?'
Jun 24, 2013 8:35 AM CDT
Survivors on Outed Minn. Nazi: 'What Good Is It Now?'
Villagers reflect on massacre by Michael Karkoc's unit
- Just weeks ago, the AP outed a Minnesota man as a former Nazi commander; now, Polish survivors are revisiting a massacre by Michael Karkoc's unit. Records suggest Karkoc was near the scene of the Chlaniow massacre as well as one in the Ukrainian village of Pidhaitsi, though there's...
Nazi Seemed Like
Jun 15, 2013 11:25 AM CDT
Pastor: Minnesota Nazi Seemed Like 'Good Citizen'
Prosecution of Michael Karkoc should be simple: Nazi hunter
- Minnesota neighbors of Michael Karkoc are stunned at the AP's finding that he led a Nazi unit said to have massacred civilians. "I know him personally. We talk, laugh. He takes care of his yard and walks with his wife," says Karkoc's next-door neighbor. Adds a...
Found Living in
Jun 14, 2013 7:51 AM CDT
Nazi Commander Found Living in Minnesota
AP tracks down SS veteran Michael Karkoc, whose unit massacred civilians
- The AP has uncovered evidence that the commander of a Nazi SS unit has been living for decades in Minnesota, having lied about his wartime experience to immigration officials. Michael Karkoc, 94, led a unit accused of burning Ukrainian villages and slaughtering the civilians within, including women and children. And...
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.