Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jul 18, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
App Launches Web Version
Only subscribers can use Snapchat on their desktop to start
- A popular messaging app announced Monday that it's going in what might seem like reverse. Snapchat has launched a web version, which will allow users to send snaps and hold video calls on their desktops, TechCrunch reports. For now, only Snapchat+ subscribers, who pay $3.99 a month, can...
Secret Service Director
Leaves for Snapchat
Jul 7, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Secret Service Director Leaves for Snapchat
James Murray quits as agency becomes snagged in Jan. 6 investigation
- James Murray, director of the Secret Service since 2019, is leaving the government for social media. His new job is in security for Snapchat, the
reports. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas praised Murray as an adviser, and the agency issued a statement saying Murray "helped the agency...
Teen Brand Quits Social Media:
'Something Has to Change'
Nov 24, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Teen Brand Quits Social Media: 'Something Has to Change'
Lush will shutter IG, FB, TikTok, Snapchat on Black Friday, won't come back til user safety is improved
- While most brands are revving up their social media for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the rest of the holiday shopping season, one teen favorite just made a shocking announcement: It's shuttering its social media entirely on the day after Thanksgiving. At least for now, says Lush Cosmetics—known...
Profane Post Is
Jun 23, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
SCOTUS: Cheerleader's Profane Post Is Free Speech
Ruling in favor of Brandi Levy could have 'significant ramifications'
- The Supreme Court has ruled in favor of a cheerleader suspended from her high school team for using a vulgar word on Snapchat, thereby extending its protection of student speech to social media, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. "F--- school f--- softball f--- cheer f--- everything," a 14-year-old...
Teen Arrested For Targeting
Classmate in Racist Post
May 22, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Teen Arrested For Targeting Classmate in Racist Post
Connecticut high schooler has some supporters, though
- A white Connecticut teen has been arrested for a racist social media post about a Black classmate, a move supporters of civil rights are applauding. However, some free speech proponents, including the ACLU, have questioned the move as a potential infringement of the boy's First Amendment rights. Per the...
Teen Vented on Snapchat,
Now Is at the Supreme Court
Apr 26, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Teen Vented on Snapchat, Now Is at the Supreme Court
Brandi Levy's profanity about cheerleading is seen as huge free-speech case
- On Wednesday, the Supreme Court will hear arguments in a case relatable to anyone who's ever vented some choice words on a bad day. What sets this one apart? It involves a young cheerleader's profanity—and it just happens to be "the most momentous case in more...
'Shattered:' TV Host's Son Dies
of Drugs Ordered on Snapchat
Feb 10, 2021 8:36 AM CST
'Shattered:' TV Host's Son Dies of Drugs Ordered on Snapchat
Dr. Laura Berman hopes speaking out will prevent another child's death
- Sex and relationship therapist Dr. Laura Berman, an OWN TV host , says she discovered her 16-year-old son's lifeless body Sunday following an overdose with drugs he purchased on Snapchat. "My beautiful boy is gone. 16 years old. Sheltering at home," Berman writes of Samuel Berman Chapman on...
Prompts a TikTok Move
Sep 23, 2020 2:41 PM CDT
Suicide Video Prompts a TikTok Move
Company suggests tech 'partnership' could help tamp down on harmful content
- TikTok says "groups operating on the dark web" engaged in a "coordinated effort" to share a graphic suicide video across its platform. Now it's asking other social media giants for help. The video of a US man shooting himself was live-streamed on Facebook in late August before...
Woman Shooting Snapchat
Video Falls Out Into Traffic
Sep 20, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Woman Shooting Snapchat Video Falls Out Into Traffic
You know how police feel when they tweet, "#nowords"
- A woman gave freeway drivers a little surprise Saturday when she spilled out of a moving car while shooting a Snapchat video—right into the next lane, the
reports. British police said her misadventure began at about 1:30am as she hung out of the front passenger door on...
Big Move on Trump Account
Jun 3, 2020 2:48 PM CDT
Snapchat Makes Big Move on Trump Account
'We will not amplify voices who incite racial violence and injustice'
- Another social media giant has decided to take action against President Trump. Snap Inc. says it isn't going to ban Snapchat content from the president, or add warnings to certain bits of it, as Twitter has done—but it will stop promoting his account on the app. The company...
Girl Sends Hair-Raising
Message on Snapchat
Jan 18, 2020 12:30 PM CST
Girl Sends Hair-Raising Message on Snapchat
3 suspects are arrested in California kidnapping case
- A teenage girl used Snapchat to send her friends a horrifying message: She'd been kidnapped. Seems her friends used the app to spot her location and then called the cops, who rushed to the E-Z 8 Motel on Tuesday and arrested a man as he left the premises, NBC...
After Video of
Jan 15, 2020 7:58 AM CST
Teen Babysitters Face Charges After Video of Toddler Vaping
'I'm disgusted,' the little boy's mom says
- A disturbing Snapchat video showing a toddler vaping has led to the arrest of two teens. Per WPXI , authorities say a 17-year-old babysitter and an 18-year-old woman who was with her were watching a 2-year-old boy at a home in St. Clair Township, Pa., on Jan. 9 when one or...
A Cop Was Idling in a Parking
Lot. A Surprise Driver Pulled Up
Sep 25, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
A Cop Was Idling in a Parking Lot. A Surprise Driver Pulled Up
11-year-old was reportedly lost after driving 200 miles to live with Snapchat stranger
- Police say an 11-year-old boy drove himself across South Carolina intending to live with an unknown male he'd met on Snapchat. The plan came to a quick close as the boy, who'd driven 200 miles from his home in Simpsonville, pulled up alongside Charleston Officer Christopher Braun in...
He Used a Snapchat Filter to
Get This Pic, Launched a Sting
Jun 12, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
He Used a Snapchat Filter to Get This Pic, Launched a Sting
A California cop was arrested as a result of Ethan's actions
- Snapchat's gender-swapping filter has been used to make a viral Evanescence video , alter famous works of art , and reveal Glenn Close's unexpected male celebrity look-alike since it launched in May. Now, a use that's a little more impactful: NBC Bay Area reports a local college student used...
Pictured at Party
Giving Nazi Salute
Mar 5, 2019 5:16 PM CST
California Teens Pictured at Party With Swastika, Giving Nazi Salute
Photograph went viral, led to outcry
- A California school district is investigating a social media photograph in which young people are seen giving Nazi salutes while standing around a table on which red cups form a swastika, the AP reports. The Newport-Mesa Unified School District was made aware Sunday of social media postings "involving some...
Feb 1, 2019 10:28 AM CST
Cops Seize Black Woman's Car, Post Taunting Video
Detroit police chief James Craig slams 'racially insensitive' Snapchat post
- "Bye, Felicia," the police officer says from the comfort of his patrol car as he watches a black woman walking home in freezing temperatures. That's not the worst of the video posted Tuesday to Snapchat by Detroit police officer Gary Steele, who is white. The phrases "...
Ex-Miss Kentucky Charged With
Sending Very Personal Pics
Dec 8, 2018 6:24 PM CST
Ex-Miss Kentucky Charged With Sending Very Personal Pics
Ramsey Bearse allegedly sent nude pics to a teenager
- A former Miss Kentucky who is a teacher in West Virginia has been charged with sending nude pictures to a 15-year-old former student, the AP reports. News outlets report that 28-year-old Ramsey Bearse was arrested Friday and charged with four felony counts of distributing or displaying obscene matter to a...
Amid Pa. Wave of
a New Cleric
Aug 22, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Amid Pa. Wave of Predator Priests, a New Cleric Is Charged
Allentown priest Kevin Lonergan allegedly sent nude pics to teen on Snapchat, groped her
- More than 300 "predator priests" were recently identified by a grand jury report in Pennsylvania. Now, an unrelated case is bringing an Allentown priest into the headlines. Charges of indecent assault and corruption of a minor have been filed against 30-year-old Kevin Lonergan, who served in Allentown's Cathedral...
Selfie Lovers Start
'Alarming' Surgical Trend
Aug 10, 2018 2:00 AM CDT
Selfie Lovers Start 'Alarming' Surgical Trend
Article in JAMA medical journal calls it 'Snapchat Dysmorphia'
- Think you look better in your latest selfie than in real life? Then beware of "Snapchat dysmorphia," a newly dubbed term for people seeking plastic surgery to mimic their appearance in filtered selfies, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. "Sometimes I have patients who say, 'I want...
'This Is Intolerable':
Air Force Fires
Jun 16, 2018 3:30 PM CDT
'This Is Intolerable': Air Force Fires Woman in Viral Video
Tabitha Duncan, 20, is getting booted from the Air Force
- A Missouri woman who was booted from the Air Force for appearing in a racist Snapchat video says she "was drunk" and needs "to seek help," the
Air Force Times
reports. Tabitha Duncan, 20, appeared in the recent video driving along a dark road with others who...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.