Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Southern Baptist Convention
Southern Baptists Reject Pleas,
Expel Churches Led by Women
Jun 14, 2023 4:46 PM CDT
Southern Baptists Reject Pleas, Expel Churches Led by Women
Rick Warren, female pastor fail to move convention
- Pleas from pastors whose churches are being expelled because they're led by women failed to persuade Southern Baptists to reverse their decision. Delegates made the expulsions from the denomination final at their annual convention in New Orleans, the
New York Times
reports, despite emotional speeches from the leaders of...
Southern Baptists Expel
Feb 21, 2023 5:05 PM CST
Southern Baptists Expel Saddleback Church
Megachurch voted out for having female pastor
- The Southern Baptist Convention on Tuesday ousted its second-largest congregation—Saddleback Church, the renowned California megachurch founded by pastor and best-selling author Rick Warren—for having a woman pastor. The vote by the convention's Executive Committee culminates growing tension between the nation's largest Protestant denomination— which officially opposes...
After 'Past Mistakes,'
a DOJ Probe Into
Aug 13, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
After 'Past Mistakes,' a DOJ Probe Into Southern Baptist Convention
Nation's largest Protestant denomination says it's under federal investigation for sexual abuse
- In May, church leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention, the nation's biggest denomination of Protestants, put out a damning report by an independent consultant that acknowledged its higher-ups had kept sexual abuse allegations hush-hush for more than 20 years. Shortly after that, the SBC—which claims 14 million members...
In Crisis, Southern Baptists
Agree to Track Alleged Abusers
Jun 15, 2022 1:58 PM CDT
In Crisis, Southern Baptists Agree to Track Alleged Abusers
Texas pastor Bart Barber also elected SBC president at national meeting
- The Southern Baptist Convention voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to create a way to track pastors and other church workers credibly accused of sex abuse and launch a new task force to oversee further reforms in the nation's largest Protestant denomination. The vote came three weeks after the release of a...
Survivor Praises SBC
Decision to Release
Secret List of Abusers
May 24, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Survivor Praises SBC Decision to Release Secret List of Abusers
The Executive Committee also voted to rebuke a former member
- The depth of the problem surprised almost everyone, but the themes revealed in Sunday’s bombshell report on sexual abuse and coverups within the Southern Baptist Convention are not new to Christa Brown. She says she was sexually abused as a child by a minister, and she has been fighting...
Report Details Abuse Coverup
by Southern Baptist Leaders
May 22, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
Report Details Abuse Coverup by Southern Baptist Leaders
Members denounce 'astonishing and infuriating' treatment of sexual abuse victims
- An outside investigation released Sunday by the Southern Baptist Convention found that survivors of sexual abuse were ignored, or worse, for decades by clergy. The almost 300-page report mostly addresses leaders' handling of reported abuse, the
reports, but includes details on individual cases. "While stories of abuse...
Southern Baptists Vote
Jun 16, 2021 6:35 PM CDT
Southern Baptists Vote Against Divisiveness
In picking a new president, convention rejects denunciation of critical race theory
- The Southern Baptist Convention tamped down a push from the right at its largest meeting in decades on Tuesday, electing a new president who has worked to bridge racial divides in the church. Ed Litton, a pastor from Alabama, won 52% of the vote in a runoff against Mike Stone,...
Latest Church to Face Rampant
Sex Abuse: Southern Baptists
Feb 11, 2019 6:11 AM CST
Latest Church to Face Rampant Sex Abuse: Southern Baptists
Texas newspapers uncover pattern going back 20 years
- Two Texas newspapers are out with an investigation into the Southern Baptist church that reveals a long pattern of sexual abuse by church leaders, workers, and volunteers. The
San Antonio Express-News
found that 380 people—everyone from ministers to youth pastors to Sunday school teachers to church...
Story of Woman's
Black Eyes Roils
May 8, 2018 12:02 PM CDT
Story of Woman's Black Eyes Roils Southern Baptists
They're calling for the ouster of seminary president Paige Patterson
- In 2000, Paige Patterson told a story, and 18 years later, it's coming out of the woodwork and fomenting outrage. The
explains Patterson is the head of the Fort Worth-based Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, described as one of the biggest seminaries in the world. He's set...
Southern Baptists Vote to
Condemn Alt-Right Racism
Jun 15, 2017 12:03 AM CDT
Southern Baptists Vote to Condemn Alt-Right Racism
Outcry followed rejection of earlier resolution
- The Southern Baptist Convention has voted to condemn "alt-right" racism—along with every other kind of racism. The denomination, which is holding its annual convention in Phoenix, approved a resolution Wednesday to "denounce and repudiate" racism, "including alt-right white supremacy, as antithetical to the Gospel of Jesus...
Southern Baptists Plan to Leave Boy Scouts 'En Masse'
Jun 2, 2013 1:40 PM CDT
Southern Baptists Plan to Leave Boy Scouts 'En Masse'
Denomination will urge 16M members to cut ties
- The Boy Scouts of America's decision last month to allow gay members was made with the blessings of many churches and religious groups—but not all of them. And here's a pretty significant opponent: The Southern Baptist Convention, the largest Protestant denomination in America with 45,000 congregations...
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Woman Gets Prison for Giving Abortion Pills to Her Daughter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.