Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
No Better Than Plain Soap
Sep 17, 2015 11:59 AM CDT
Antibacterial Soap No Better Than Plain Soap
Unless you've got 9 hours to spare
- People who shell out extra money for antibacterial soap might want to spend it on something else. Scientists have found that it's not any better than regular soap in killing bacteria, they report in the
Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy
. The news comes out of South Korea, where researchers examined...
Germ-Killer in Soap
May Also Be Liver-Killer
Nov 18, 2014 7:46 AM CST
Germ-Killer in Soap May Also Be Liver-Killer
Triclosan linked to damage, tumors
- A chemical found in most antibacterial soaps may be fighting off germs at the cost of causing liver damage. There have been question marks around triclosan for some time—the FDA warned last year that antibacterial soap could be harmful, and Minnesota banned the ingredient this year —but new...
Chemicals All Wrong
Nov 10, 2014 1:44 PM CST
We're Regulating Chemicals All Wrong
The FDA, EPA should be considering them by the class
- When it comes to how our government regulates potentially dangerous synthetic chemicals, Rolf U. Halden and Robert S. Lawrence have some big numbers to throw around. The two recently analyzed 143,000 peer-reviewed research papers related to what they've dubbed "chemicals of emerging concern" and determined that the...
May 20, 2014 10:59 AM CDT
Minn. Bans Controversial Germ-Killer
Antibacterial triclosan gets the boot from soaps
- It's widely used nationwide as a germ-killing ingredient in soaps, deodorants, and even toothpaste, but just months after the FDA warned that triclosan may be harmful , Minnesota is now becoming the first state to ban it. The bill Gov. Mark Dayton signed Friday prohibits the use of triclosan in...
It's Time to
May 13, 2014 12:19 PM CDT
It's Time to Quit Hand Sanitizer
Bill Saporito aims to end his addiction
- Whether you're in an office building or on the subway, chances are a bottle of hand sanitizer is close by—and that used to suit Bill Saporito just fine. He underwent chemotherapy several years ago and had to avoid getting sick, and the resulting "germanoia" led to hand-sanitizer...
FDA: Germ-Killing Soap
May Be Bad for You
Dec 16, 2013 11:13 AM CST
FDA: Germ-Killing Soap May Be Bad for You
And there's no proof it's better than ordinary soap
- The antibacterial soap you've been using religiously? The FDA says there's no proof that it actually stops the spread of germs any better than ordinary soap and water do—and that the chemicals in it may even be bad for us. Some scientists have long warned that triclosan,...
Germ Killer We've Used for
40 Years Gets FDA Review
May 3, 2013 9:45 AM CDT
Germ Killer We've Used for 40 Years Gets FDA Review
Researchers to complete review of triclosan ordered back in the '70s
- It's been on the market for more than 40 years, and it's found in everything from antibacterial soap to toothpaste to toys. But there's a chance that the FDA is about to declare the chemical triclosan unsafe, in a review due to be completed this year. The...
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.