Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Airstrikes on Rebel-Run
Prison Kill More Than 100
Sep 2, 2019 2:58 AM CDT
Airstrikes on Rebel-Run Prison Kill More Than 100
It was deadliest strike on Yemen so far this year
- Yemen is reeling from what has been described as the deadliest attack so far this year after multiple airstrikes by a Saudi-led coalition hit a detention center run by the country's Houthi rebels, killing at least 100 people and wounding dozens. The center in southwestern Dhamar province had around...
US Official: A Missile
Downed Our Drone in Yemen
Aug 21, 2019 8:11 AM CDT
US Official: A Missile Downed Our Drone in Yemen
Houthis have claimed responsibility
- Two US officials confirmed to Reuters what a Houthi military rep has claimed: that a US drone was shot down over Yemen on Tuesday night. What is less established is whether the Iran-allied Houthi rebels downed the MQ-9 drone. That's what the rep claims; one official tells CNN a...
Saudi Oil Field Attacked
Aug 17, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Saudi Oil Field Attacked
Yemen's Houthi rebels cause a fire at the Shaybah oil field
- Drones launched by Yemen's Houthi rebels attacked a massive oil and gas field deep inside Saudi Arabia's sprawling desert on Saturday, causing what the kingdom described as a "limited fire" in the second such recent attack on its crucial energy industry, the AP reports. The attack on...
UN Assesses Toll on Children
From Fighting in Yemen
Jun 29, 2019 11:35 AM CDT
UN Assesses Toll on Children From Fighting in Yemen
Official calls the suffering 'simply appalling'
- More than 7,500 children have been killed or wounded in Yemen in the last 5½ years as a result of airstrikes, shelling, fighting, suicide attacks, mines and other unexploded ordnance, according to a UN report released Friday. The report by Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the killings and injuries were...
Iran Allies Hit Saudis
Ahead of Pompeo Visit
Jun 23, 2019 4:35 PM CDT
Iran Allies Hit Saudis Ahead of Pompeo Visit
Yemeni rebels targeted the airport in Abha
- One person was killed and seven others were wounded in an attack by Iranian-allied Yemeni rebels on an airport in Saudi Arabia Sunday evening, the Saudi military said, as the US secretary of state was on his way to the country for talks on Iran. The Sunday attack by the...
Apr 16, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
Trump Issues Another Veto
He won't stop funding Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen
- President Donald Trump on Tuesday vetoed a bill passed by Congress to end US military assistance in Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen, the AP reports. In a break with the president, Congress voted for the first time earlier this month to invoke the War Powers Resolution to try to...
House Vote Sets Up
Trump's Second Veto
Apr 4, 2019 12:04 PM CDT
House Vote Sets Up Trump's Second Veto
Lawmakers vote 247-175 to end support for Yemen war
- The House on Thursday voted to end American involvement in the Yemen war, rebuffing the Trump administration's support for the military campaign led by Saudi Arabia, the AP reports. The Senate did the same in March , and the bill now heads to President Trump, who is expected to veto...
Senate Puts a Foot Down
Over the War in Yemen
Mar 13, 2019 7:20 PM CDT
Senate Puts a Foot Down Over the War in Yemen
Sen. Bernie Sanders and Sen. Mike Lee co-sponsor the bill
- The Senate voted Wednesday to end US support for the Saudi Arabian-led coalition's war in Yemen, bringing Congress one step closer to a unprecedented rebuke of President Trump's foreign policy, the AP reports. Lawmakers have never before invoked the decades-old War Powers Resolution to stop a foreign conflict,...
to Deliver Another
Rebuke of Trump
Mar 13, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Senate Poised to Deliver Another Rebuke of Trump
Resolution to end Saudi-led war in Yemen expected to pass Wednesday
- President Trump's first veto is on the horizon. The Senate will vote Wednesday on a resolution demanding that the US end its military support of the devastating Saudi-led war in Yemen. The bipartisan resolution invoking the War Powers Act, seen as a rebuke of Trump, passed 56-41 in December...
US Citizen Freed After
18 Months Captive in Yemen
Feb 25, 2019 3:57 PM CST
US Citizen Freed After 18 Months Captive in Yemen
President Trump announces Danny Burch is back with his family
- President Trump announced Monday that American citizen Danny Burch has been freed after 18 months of captivity in Yemen in what the State Department suggested was a rescue operation. In a statement, Trump thanked the United Arab Emirates for its role in reuniting Burch with his family, the AP reports....
House Wields Vietnam-Era
Power in Rebuking Trump
Feb 13, 2019 5:30 PM CST
House Wields Vietnam-Era Power in Rebuking Trump
Lawmakers pass a bill regarding the war in Yemen
- The new Democratic-led House sent President Trump a message Wednesday, and it's a doozy: Stop supporting Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen. Lawmakers easily passed the measure, 248-177, in a display of frustration over the war's humanitarian crisis and Washington's ongoing ties to Riyadh after journalist Jamal...
America Gets Vengeance for
USS Cole Bombing: Official
Jan 5, 2019 12:26 PM CST
America Gets Vengeance for USS Cole Bombing: Official
Seems Jamel Ahmed Mohammed Ali Al-Badawi was killed
- The mastermind behind the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole is apparently dead. A US administration official tells CNN that an American airstrike in Yemen on Tuesday killed al-Qaeda commander Jamel Ahmed Mohammed Ali Al-Badawi, CNN reports. Officially, US Central Command says Al-Badawi was targeted in "precision strike" but...
His Mom Fought Trump's
Travel Ban. Now He's Gone
Dec 29, 2018 5:20 PM CST
His Mom Fought Trump's Travel Ban. Now He's Gone
Abdullah Hassan died at the age of 2
- Mourners at a mosque in California said goodbye Saturday to a 2-year-old boy whose Yemeni mother successfully fought the Trump administration's travel ban to hold the dying boy again in the United States, the AP reports. Abdullah Hassan died Friday at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital in Oakland, where...
In Historic First, Senate
Invokes War Powers Act
Dec 13, 2018 3:45 PM CST
In Historic First, Senate Invokes War Powers Act
Calls for US to end support for Saudi Arabia in Yemen war; 2nd vote condemns prince
- The Senate on Thursday sent what the
described as a historic rebuke to the White House over Saudi Arabia. Actually, it delivered two rebukes. First, senators voted 56-41 to invoke the War Powers Act and demand that the US end its military support of the Saudi-led coalition in...
Senators Defy Trump
on Saudi Arabia
Nov 29, 2018 3:00 AM CST
Senators Defy Trump on Saudi Arabia
Vote on Yemen was rebuke to president, Saudis
- Defying President Trump, senators sent a strong signal that they want to punish Saudi Arabia for its role in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. By a bipartisan 63-37 vote, the Senate opted to move forward with legislation calling for an end to US involvement in the Saudi-led war in...
'A Death Sentence' for
Kids Under 5 in Yemen
Nov 21, 2018 10:25 AM CST
'A Death Sentence' for Kids Under 5 in Yemen
85K may have died since 2015: Save the Children
- If Democrats were spurred to action after the deaths of 40 children in Yemen, killed when an airstrike hit their bus , you should now expect an uproar. "This situation is proving a death sentence," a rep for Save the Children says of Yemen's civil war, which has...
Khashoggi Death May Have
Ripple Effects in Yemen War
Nov 1, 2018 12:52 AM CDT
Khashoggi Death May Have Ripple Effects in Yemen War
'Time is now' for ceasefire, Pompeo says
- At an apparent turning point in one of its hardest foreign policy challenges, the Trump administration is demanding a ceasefire and the launch of UN-led political talks to end the Saudi-Iran proxy war in Yemen. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis called for a halt to hostilities within 30 days. The renewed...
It's 'Almost Like
a Murder Squad'
Oct 16, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
It's 'Almost Like a Murder Squad'
BuzzFeed News digs into the alleged actions of the Spear Operations Group
- It's "almost like a murder squad," an incredulous former CIA official told BuzzFeed News . The site had called him for comment as it dug into a potential bombshell of a story: that former elite US special operations fighters were assassinating high-profile figures in Yemen, but not as...
In This Conflict, Everybody
Is Accused of War Crimes
Aug 28, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
In This Conflict, Everybody Is Accused of War Crimes
UN investigators say all parties in the war in Yemen are guilty of atrocities
- The conflict in Yemen may be a complex international issue, but UN investigators have just found a depressing common denominator: A new fact-finding reports suggests that all parties to the conflict are guilty of war crimes, reports the BBC . That largely means three groups: The Yemen government, the Houthi rebels...
After Child Deaths in Yemen,
Democrats Write 3 Letters
Aug 16, 2018 8:12 AM CDT
After Child Deaths in Yemen, Democrats Write 3 Letters
House and Senate Democrats want info on US involvement in Yemen airstrikes
- Three letters over the last three days. That's how many messages House and Senate Democrats have penned this week demanding the US be forthcoming with information on its involvement in Yemen after an airstrike there last week killed at least 40 kids . Critics say there could be thousands of...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.