Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Given to Trump
Nov 22, 2020 7:44 AM CST
Experimental Treatment Given to Trump Wins Approval
FDA clears Regeneron for emergency use against COVID
- Regeneron's experimental antibody treatment received emergency authorization on Saturday, clearing the way for patients to receive the same therapy given President Trump during his bout with COVID-19. The pharmaceutical company had told the Food and Drug Administration that trial data indicated that the treatment cut the number of medical...
Trump 'Saved My Life'
Nov 21, 2020 11:50 AM CST
Ben Carson: Trump 'Saved My Life'
The Trump administration official talks about his battle with COVID-19
- Ben Carson didn't just get COVID-19 —he got it bad, and says he only survived thanks to help from President Trump. "I was extremely sick," the secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development writes on Facebook , per NPR . While his symptoms were light at...
Member of Trump's
Cabinet Tests Positive
Nov 9, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Member of Trump's Cabinet Tests Positive
HUD secretary Ben Carson has the coronavirus
- COVID continues to take a toll at the White House. Ben Carson, secretary of Housing and Urban Development, has tested positive, reports ABC's Katherine Faulder. She quotes his deputy chief of staff in a tweet as saying the 69-year-old is "in good spirits & feels fortunate to have...
Ben Carson Thought Housing
Term Was Cookie Name
May 22, 2019 3:12 AM CDT
Ben Carson Thought Housing Term Was Cookie Name
He misheard 'REO' as 'Oreo'
- Acronyms relating to his job apparently aren't Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson's strong suit. When asked about the common term REO during a testy House Financial Services Committee hearing Tuesday, a confused Carson thought Democratic Rep. Katie Porter was talking about Oreo cookies, the
Agency You Might Not Expect
Goes After Facebook
Mar 28, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Agency You Might Not Expect Goes After Facebook
Housing and Urban Development accuses company of aiding housing discrimination
- The feds are going after Facebook, but the agency involved might not be the first that would come to mind: the Department of Housing and Urban Development. As the
explains, Ben Carson's HUD has filed charges leveling the serious accusation that the company is violating the Fair Housing...
Ben Carson Proposal
Would Triple Rent for
Apr 26, 2018 7:28 PM CDT
Ben Carson Proposal Would Triple Rent for Poorest Households
New measures would reduce federal spending, but at a cost
- In a move that would reduce federal assistance to poor households, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson is recommending increasing rent for low-income tenants living in government-subsidized housing and imposing stricter work requirements. The move is part of a far-reaching effort by the Trump administration that some are calling...
Report Sheds Unflattering Light
on Hannity's $90M Investment
Apr 23, 2018 4:59 PM CDT
Report Sheds Unflattering Light on Hannity's $90M Investment
The Fox News personality's real estate dealings are being questioned
- Sean Hannity has hit back at assertions in a report from the
that cast an unflattering light on a massive real estate deal to which he is financially tied. Calling the report an "attack," the Fox News personality sought to deny any wrongdoing after it was revealed...
Ben Carson Gives Meandering
Explanation for $31K Dining Set
Mar 20, 2018 3:32 PM CDT
Ben Carson Gives Meandering Explanation for $31K Dining Set
Says he left it up to his wife, and also the last dining set was unsafe
- Newly uncovered emails suggest Ben Carson and his wife
know about the $31,000 dining room set purchased for his office last year, and on Tuesday, the secretary of housing and urban development gave a meandering explanation of the controversial purchase during a House Appropriations subcommittee hearing to...
They Were 'Surprised' by $31K
HUD Buy. Email Says Otherwise
Mar 14, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
They Were 'Surprised' by $31K HUD Buy. Email Says Otherwise
CNN has correspondence noting HUD furniture that 'the Secretary and Mrs. Carson picked out'
- A HUD spokesman said Secretary Ben Carson and his wife, Candy, had "zero awareness" about an eyebrow-raising $31,000 order for a dining room set that came to light last month , and Carson even said he'd try to cancel the purchase . But thanks to a FOIA request, CNN...
Mar 2, 2018 12:24 AM CST
Ben Carson 'Trying to Cancel' $31K Dining Set
House committee is investigating the furniture buy
- Ben Carson has apparently decided that staying in President Trump's cabinet is more important than having a fancy table. After the House Oversight Committee announced that it's investigating the refurbishment of the Department of Housing and Urban Development chief's offices, a Carson spokesman said the agency is...
Office Could Be in
Hot Water Over
Feb 28, 2018 2:20 AM CST
Ben Carson's Office Could Be in Hot Water Over $31K Table
'$5K will not even buy a decent chair'
- Ben Carson's office has managed to become entangled in a controversy involving its own furniture. Whistleblower Helen Foster says she was demoted and transferred from the Department of Housing and Urban Development, which Carson heads, after she refused to go over the legal $5,000 limit to redecorate his...
May 25, 2017 11:56 AM CDT
Ben Carson's Eyebrow-Raising Remarks on Poverty
It's largely a 'state of mind,' he notes
- "If everybody had a mother like mine, nobody would be in poverty," Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson told SiriusXM on Wednesday. "She was a person who absolutely would not accept status of victim." He then went on to comment further, in remarks that...
Ben Carson Visits
Gets Stuck in Elevator
Apr 13, 2017 2:03 AM CDT
Ben Carson Visits Housing Complex, Gets Stuck in Elevator
Fire crew had to pry the doors open
- The Miami leg of Ben Carson's national listening tour started with a glitch. The housing secretary got stuck in an elevator after a visit Wednesday to the rooftop of the Courtside Family Apartments, a complex co-developed by former Miami Heat star Alonzo Mourning and his nonprofit AM Affordable Housing,...
Ben Carson: Slaves Were
Mar 7, 2017 2:01 AM CST
Ben Carson: Slaves Were 'Involuntary Immigrants'
- Newly confirmed Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson managed to cause controversy in his very first speech to HUD employees by describing slaves as "immigrants." His remarks on slavery came after he discussed photos of impoverished immigrants arriving at Ellis Island, the
New York Times
Ben Carson Approved
as New Head of HUD
Mar 2, 2017 11:17 AM CST
Ben Carson Approved as New Head of HUD
Trump's former rival for the presidency says he wants to bring a 'more holistic approach'
- Ben Carson, a retired neurosurgeon who challenged Donald Trump for the GOP presidential nomination, won Senate confirmation Thursday to join Trump's Cabinet as housing secretary. Six Democrats and one independent joined 51 Republicans in voting for Carson to lead the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the AP reports....
Senate Confirms Trump
Pick for UN Ambassador
Jan 25, 2017 12:19 AM CST
Senate Confirms Trump Pick for UN Ambassador
Nikki Haley approved by 96-4 vote
- The Senate confirmed President Trump's pick for US ambassador to the United Nations by a decisive margin Tuesday as GOP-led committees paved the way for three more of his Cabinet nominees to be approved just days into the new administration, the AP reports. South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley won...
to Run HUD
Dec 5, 2016 6:25 AM CST
Trump Picks Ben Carson to Run HUD
Retired neurosurgeon gets the expected nomination
- Ben Carson is Donald Trump's pick to run the Department of Housing and Urban Development. The president-elect made the announcement Monday morning, praising the retired neurosurgeon's "brilliant mind," reports Politico . "We have talked at length about my urban renewal agenda and our message of economic...
Ben Carson: I'll Be
Trump's Ally 'on the Outside'
Nov 16, 2016 12:03 AM CST
Ben Carson: I'll Be Trump's Ally 'on the Outside'
He declines Cabinet slot, feels he 'has no government experience'
- Donald Trump's transition team may be in disarray but one thing is clear: Ben Carson is highly unlikely to be in his Cabinet. Carson aide Armstrong Williams says the former neurosurgeon has rejected an offer to become Trump's Secretary of Health and Human Services, CNN reports. Williams tells...
Nov 9, 2016 11:27 AM CST
Trump's Son Among Potential Cabinet Picks
Donald Trump Jr. for Interior secretary?
- Hours after Donald Trump was named president-elect , talk has turned to what could potentially be "one of the more eclectic and controversial presidential cabinets in modern history," per Politico . Given that Trump is a businessman rather than a seasoned politician, it's perhaps no surprise that his camp...
Winners, Losers From
Day 2 of the RNC
Jul 20, 2016 6:20 AM CDT
Winners, Losers From Day 2 of the RNC
Never Trump movement 'dead from multiple causes'
- Tuesday was "Make America Work Again" day at the Republican National Convention, though there was easily as much talk about Hillary Clinton as there was about the US economy. Still, the convention seemed to run far more smoothly than on Monday—it was as if they "had brought...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.