Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pope Enters 'Crucial
New Phase' for Church
Sep 30, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Pope Enters 'Crucial New Phase' for Church
Francis appoints 21 new cardinals to help him enact his reforms, cement his legacy
- Pope Francis created 21 new cardinals at a ritual-filled ceremony Saturday, including key figures at the Vatican and in the field who will help enact his reforms and cement his legacy as he enters a crucial new phase in running the Catholic Church. On a crisp sunny day filled with...
Pope to Europe: There's
No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Sep 23, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Pope to Europe: There's No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Francis implores Macron, other leaders to open their doors to people fleeing hardships
- Pope Francis challenged French President Emmanuel Macron and other European leaders to open their ports to people fleeing hardship and poverty, insisting Saturday that the continent isn't facing a migration "emergency," but rather a long-term reality that governments must deal with humanely. For a second straight day...
Pope Arrives in Country
With Fewer Than 2K Catholics
Sep 1, 2023 4:33 AM CDT
Pope Arrives in Country With Fewer Than 2K Catholics
Francis is the first pope ever to visit Mongolia
- Pope Francis arrived in Mongolia on Friday morning to encourage one of the world's smallest and newest Catholic communities. It's the first time a pope has visited the landlocked Asian country and comes at a time when the Vatican's relations with Mongolia's two powerful neighbors, Russia...
Vatican Walks Back
Francis' Praise for
Aug 29, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Vatican Walks Back Francis' Praise for 'Russian Empire'
Objections to unscripted remarks come from Ukraine, Eastern Rite archbishop
- The Vatican is walking back Pope Francis' words on Russia, while Moscow is walking them forward. As the
Wall Street Journal
reports, a Vatican rep had this to say about the pontiff's glowing words for Russia's past: "The pope intended to encourage young people to preserve and...
Pope Plans to Visit
Country With 1,450 Catholics
Jul 17, 2023 2:44 PM CDT
Pope Plans to Visit Country With 1,450 Catholics
Francis' August trip will be first-ever papal visit to Mongolia
- The young cardinal in charge of Mongolia's tiny Catholic community said Monday that Pope Francis' upcoming visit to a country with just 1,450 Catholics is evidence of his willingness to travel to the farthest corners of the globe to minister to even a handful of the faithful. Italian...
to China on
Jul 15, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
Pope Yields to China on New Bishop
Government filled Shanghai post months ago, despite agreement with Vatican
- Pope Francis has given in to China's unilateral appointment of a new bishop in Shanghai, formally recognizing the government's installation of Bishop Shen Bin three months after the fact. The Vatican said Saturday that Francis had appointed Shen as bishop of Shanghai, transferring him from Haimen. The announcement...
Pope Adds to Group That
Will Pick His Successor
Jul 9, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Pope Adds to Group That Will Pick His Successor
New cardinals include choices for Hong Kong, Jerusalem
- Pope Francis on Sunday announced he has chosen 21 new cardinals, including prelates from Jerusalem and Hong Kong—places where Catholics are a small minority—as he shapes the body of churchmen who will select his successor. The pope announced his picks during his weekly appearance in St. Peter's...
Pope Leaves Hospital
9 Days After Operation
Jun 16, 2023 4:29 AM CDT
Pope Leaves Hospital 9 Days After Operation
Surgeon says Francis is 'better than before'
- Pope Francis was discharged Friday from the Rome hospital where he had abdominal surgery nine days earlier to repair a hernia and remove painful scarring, with his surgeon saying the pontiff is now "better than before" the hospitalization. Francis, 86, left through Gemelli Polyclinic's main exit in a...
Jun 7, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Pope Francis' Surgery Was Successful
Surgeon says Francis cracked joke afterward
- Pope Francis underwent successful surgery Wednesday to remove intestinal scar tissue and repair a hernia in his abdominal wall. The Vatican said there were no complications during the three-hour surgery, which required the 86-year-old to be under general anesthesia, the AP reports. The pontiff is expected to remain at Rome’...
In Rome, Zelensky
May 13, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
In Rome, Zelensky Pressures Pope
President asks Francis for a direct condemnation of Russian invasion
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky went to Rome on Saturday to make a direct appeal to the pope to support his government's approach to achieving peace—after finding Francis' proposals unsettling. While there, Zelensky also met with Italy's president and prime minister, who offered enthusiastic backing. "We bet...
I Told Off
May 12, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Pope Francis: I Told Off Woman With Dog
Pontiff warns against pets replacing kids amid Italy's demographic crisis
- In numerous countries in the EU, birth rates are declining, including in Italy, which could lose nearly 20% of its residents by 2050. Those stats are apparently putting Pope Francis on edge, enough to spur him to warn Italian citizens not to let their anxieties about the future keep them...
Pope Speaks of Secret Peace
'Mission' in Russia-Ukraine War
May 1, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Pope Speaks of Secret Peace 'Mission' in Russia-Ukraine War
And says Vatican is willing to help return Ukrainian children to their families
- Pope Francis on Sunday revealed that a secret peace “mission” in Russia's war in Ukraine was underway, though he gave no details, and said the Vatican is willing to help facilitate the return of Ukrainian children taken to Russia during the war, the AP reports. “I’m...
Pope Endorses Returning
Artifacts Held by Vatican
Apr 30, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Pope Endorses Returning Artifacts Held by Vatican
'If you steal something you have to give it back,' Francis says
- Pope Francis said Sunday that talks were underway to return artifacts in the Vatican Museum that were acquired from Indigenous peoples in Canada and voiced a willingness to return other colonial-era objects in the Vatican's collection on a case-by-case basis. "The Seventh Commandment comes to mind: If you...
With Orban in Crowd,
Pope Urges Hungary
to Open Its Doors
Apr 30, 2023 11:07 AM CDT
With Orban in Crowd, Pope Urges Hungary to Open Its Doors
In his closest trip to Ukraine, Francis calls for an end to the war
- Pope Francis urged Hungarians to open their doors to others on Sunday, as he wrapped up a weekend visit with a plea for Europe to welcome migrants and the poor and for an end to Russia's war in Ukraine. Francis issued the appeal from the banks of the Danube...
In Hungary, Pope Maintains
Neutrality on War in Ukraine
Apr 29, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
In Hungary, Pope Maintains Neutrality on War in Ukraine
Francis meets with refugees as well as Russian church envoy
- Pope Francis plunged into both sides of Russia's war against Ukraine on Saturday, greeting some of the 2.5 million Ukrainian refugees who fled across the border to Hungary during a public prayer service and then meeting privately with an envoy of the Russian Orthodox Church that has strongly...
Apr 26, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Pope Approves 'Significant Crack in Stained-Glass Ceiling'
Women will have the right to vote at an upcoming meeting of bishops
- Pope Francis has decided to give women the right to vote at an upcoming meeting of bishops, and the AP reports that's a historic reform that reflects his hopes to give women greater decision-making responsibilities and laypeople more say in the life of the Catholic Church. Francis approved changes...
Pope Returns for Easter Vigil
Apr 8, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Pope Returns for Easter Vigil
Recovering after hospitalization, Francis had skipped Good Friday procession
- Pope Francis returned to public view on Saturday, presiding over Easter vigil Mass in St. Peter's Basilica, a day after unseasonably chilly weather in Rome persuaded him to skip Good Friday's nighttime procession at the Colosseum. The evening basilica service began in darkness. Then the basilica's cavernous...
Apr 1, 2023 5:29 AM CDT
Pope Leaves Hospital, Gets Cheeky With Reporters
'I'm still alive,' Francis quipped before heading to Vatican after his bout with bronchitis
- Pope Francis was discharged on Saturday from the Rome hospital where he was treated for bronchitis, quipping to journalists before being driven away in a white Fiat 500: "I'm still alive." Francis, 86, was hospitalized on Wednesday at Gemelli Polyclinic after reportedly having breathing difficulties following his...
Pope Hospitalized With
Mar 29, 2023 2:58 PM CDT
Pope Hospitalized With Breathing Difficulties
Vatican says he has lung infection, but not COVID
- The Vatican says Pope Francis has been hospitalized with a lung infection and "will require some days of medical therapy." The 86-year-old was taken a Rome hospital after experiencing breathing difficulties in recent days, the BBC reports. Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni said in a statement Wednesday that tests...
Fake Pope Images
May Be First
Mar 27, 2023 3:03 PM CDT
Fake Pope Images May Be First 'Mass-Level' Dupe
The pontiff was not wearing a stylish puffer jacket, despite those viral photos
- Pope Francis sure looked stylish over the weekend, with viral photos showing up on Twitter of him wearing a white puffer jacket. The problem is that the pontiff wore no such coat. The images were fakes, but they were high-quality fakes that fooled a lot of people.
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
A New Look at the Killing of the 'Face of Red Power'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.