Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Ousted CEO Sues Grammys
Jan 22, 2020 6:59 AM CST
Ousted CEO Sues Grammys
Deborah Dugan describes harassment, conflicts of interest at Recording Academy
- Ousted days before the Grammys , former Recording Academy CEO Deborah Dugan is hitting back. In a 46-page complaint filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Dugan claims she was put on leave after complaining of "egregious" conflicts of interest; a "boys' club" mentality; and sexual harassment by the...
Just Days Before
the Big Show,
Jan 17, 2020 7:20 AM CST
Just Days Before the Big Show, Grammys Chief Is Suspended
Recording Academy CEO Deborah Dugan placed on leave amid allegations of misconduct
- In 2018, former Recording Academy chief Neil Portnow caught flak after he said women in the music industry needed to "step up" if they wanted to win Grammys. A woman took over his post last August—but now she, too, is making headlines for the wrong reasons. In a...
Diverse Grammy Noms
Nov 20, 2019 10:30 AM CST
Newcomers Dominate Diverse Grammy Noms
Lizzo leads with 8, followed by Lil Nas X and Billie Eilish with 6
- The 2020 Grammy nominations are out, and there are plenty of surprises. Bruce Springsteen and Halsey were ignored altogether, per
. Ten-time winner Taylor Swift nabbed three nods but was snubbed for record of the year and album of the year in what the
Los Angeles Times
Cardi B Makes Gaffe
About the Late Tom Petty
Feb 12, 2019 1:06 AM CST
Cardi B Makes Gaffe About the Late Tom Petty
She thanked him for sending her flowers
- Cardi B thanked Tom Petty for sending her flowers after her big win at the Grammys , puzzling everybody who was aware that the rocker died in 2017 .
reports that in a now-deleted Instagram post, Cardi B said "Thank you Tom Petty for the flowers," adding that she...
Wins First Grammy,
Feb 11, 2019 2:25 AM CST
Ariana Grande Wins First Grammy, Skips Ceremony
She deleted a tweet after Cardi B's win
- Ariana Grande won her first Grammy Award on Sunday, but the singer didn't collect it after deciding to skip the ceremony following a public dispute with the show's producer . Grande won the best pop vocal album trophy for "Sweetener," beating Taylor Swift, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Shawn...
at the Grammys
Feb 10, 2019 11:01 PM CST
Cardi B Makes History at the Grammys
She's the first woman to win best rap album
- A visibly nervous Cardi B won her first Grammy, making history as the first woman to win best rap album, the AP reports. She took the stage Sunday night at the Staples Center with husband Offset, holding his hand. Cardi B's
Invasion of Privacy
beat out albums by the...
Feb 10, 2019 10:43 PM CST
Michelle Obama Makes Surprise Grammys Appearance
Helps host Alicia Keys open the awards show
- Michelle Obama made a surprise appearance to help open the Grammy Awards with host Alicia Keys, the AP reports. The former first lady appeared onstage with Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Keys to say how music has impacted their lives. Obama's initial comments were interrupted by...
Red Carpet Looks
Feb 10, 2019 10:33 PM CST
Wildest Grammys Red Carpet Looks
Yes, singer Joy Villa is serious about her 'Build the Wall' ensemble
- Sparkly, studded and strutting in designer looks, the Grammys parade of often out-there fashion kicked off in a downpour Sunday, but that didn't dampen spirits as the music industry's best showed off their myriad outfits, the AP reports. Cardi B had a spot of trouble walking in a...
Ariana Grande Says Grammys
Producer Is Lying About Her
Feb 8, 2019 4:26 AM CST
Ariana Grande Says Grammys Producer Is Lying About Her
He claimed she won't be performing because she can't 'pull something together'
- Ariana Grande says she wasn't going to talk about why she isn't performing at the Grammy Awards on Sunday—until producer Ken Ehrlich started "lying" about it. In a tweet Thursday, the star slammed Ehrlich, who told the AP earlier in the day that there had been...
Dec 7, 2018 10:00 AM CST
Here Are Your Grammy Nominations
It's a woman-centric year, with the ladies heavily represented in the 4 big categories
- The music of
, with Kendrick Lamar in its starring role, officially owns the 2019 Grammy Awards. Also of note: Women are heavily represented in the major four categories. The Recording Academy announced Friday that Lamar is the top contender with eight nominations, including seven for his musical companion...
Exec's 'Spectacularly Wrong'
Remarks Spur Calls to Resign
Feb 2, 2018 8:53 AM CST
Exec's 'Spectacularly Wrong' Remarks Spur Calls to Resign
Female executives pen letter asking for Recording Academy President Neil Portnow to step down
- Pink told the president of the Recording Academy to step off earlier this week, and now nearly two dozen female executives in the record industry are telling Neil Portnow to step aside from his position. It all comes out of his remarks after the Grammys on Sunday, when he reacted...
After Exec Tells Women to 'Step
Up,' Pink Tells Him to Step Off
Jan 30, 2018 9:00 AM CST
After Exec Tells Women to 'Step Up,' Pink Tells Him to Step Off
Singer blasts Recording Academy President Neil Portnow in open letter on Twitter
- #GrammysSoMale? That was one hashtag that popped up after Sunday night's show , in which women seemed to get short shrift during the night's proceedings. Per the AP , Lorde, the only woman nominated for album of the year, didn't perform (but males who weren't nominees did); there...
Grammys Ratings Are Awful
Jan 29, 2018 1:08 PM CST
Grammys Ratings Are Awful
Early numbers suggest a 24% drop from last year
- It was a great night for Bruno Mars , and a pretty bleak one for CBS. The first ratings numbers are in for Sunday night's Grammys, and they are rough indeed. An estimated 19.8 million people watched, down 24% from 2017, reports Deadline . In fact, the show may end...
Was Most Talked-About
Jan 29, 2018 6:32 AM CST
Anti-Abortion Dress Was Most Talked-About at Grammys
Rihanna skipped red carpet but wowed in trenchcoat
- There were plenty of dazzling looks on display at this year's Grammy Awards, but there was a clear standout as most talked-about: Joy Villa turned up with a "Choose Life" handbag and had a picture of a fetus hand-painted on her ballgown,
reports. The musician—who...
Takes 6 for 6
Jan 29, 2018 2:12 AM CST
Bruno Mars Takes 6 for 6 at Grammys
Jay-Z had 8 nominations, no wins
- Bruno Mars owned the Grammys with his R&B-inspired album "24K Magic," winning all six awards he was nominated for at a show where hip-hop was expected to have a historical night. Jay-Z, the leading nominee with eight, walked away empty handed Sunday—a year after his wife...
Clinton Trolls Trump in
Surprise Grammys Cameo
Jan 29, 2018 1:38 AM CST
Clinton Trolls Trump in Surprise Grammys Cameo
She read an excerpt from 'Fire and Fury'
- If President Trump watched the Grammys—and if he did, he didn't tweet about it—he would have found himself being trolled by several celebrities, including none other than Hillary Clinton. She made a surprise appearance in a pre-recorded segment where stars including Cher, Cardi B, and Snoop Dogg...
Carrie Fisher Wins
Jan 28, 2018 5:25 PM CST
Carrie Fisher Wins Posthumous Grammy
She won best spoken word album Sunday
- Thirteen months after her death, Carrie Fisher won her first Grammy, CNN reports. The late actor and writer took home the award for best spoken word album Sunday for the audiobook to her 2016 memoir
The Princess Diarist
, which made headlines for revealing an affair she had with Harrison Ford...
Feb 13, 2017 5:33 AM CST
Here's Who Took Home Grammy Gold
Plus the most talked-about moments and performances
- First to take the stage Sunday night at LA's Staples Center for the 59th Annual Grammy Awards before the show heads to New York for 2018 : a sparkly, well-received Adele singing her nominated "Hello." Her performance was followed by dapper late-night host and
Not Too Much Politics at
Grammys—Until Busta Rhymes
Feb 12, 2017 11:21 PM CST
Not Too Much Politics at Grammys—Until Busta Rhymes
Rapper called Trump 'President Agent Orange' during Tribe Called Quest set
- Jennifer Lopez mentioned artists standing up during tough times, and Katy Perry offered some subtle subtext during her own performance, but there wasn't too much in-your-face politics exhibited at the 59th Annual Grammy Awards Sunday night—until Busta Rhymes took the stage. A Tribe Called Quest gave one...
Feb 12, 2017 10:13 PM CST
George Michael Tribute Gets Adele Cursing
But she recovered for powerful performance; Prince also honored
- David Bowie wasn't the only major performer we lost last year, and the Grammys made sure to pay tribute to two others. First host James Corden spoke on the late George Michael, noting how the performer's music "had an honesty and openness that excluded no one"...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
Tagovailoa Speaks on His Latest Hard Hit
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Florida Woman Went to Extremes to Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
Trump Reacts to NYT Reporter's New Book: She's a 'Creep'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.