Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ban on Gender-Affirming Care
Will Take Effect: Missouri Judge
Aug 25, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Ban on Gender-Affirming Care Will Take Effect: Missouri Judge
Lawsuit tried to block law on behalf of doctors, LGBTQ+ groups, transgender minors
- A Missouri judge decided Friday that a law banning gender-affirming treatments for minors can take effect. St. Louis Circuit Judge Steven Ohmer ruled that the law will kick in Monday, as previously scheduled. Families of transgender minors had sued to overturn the law, and asked Ohmer to temporarily block it...
Grim Twist in
Missouri Kidnapping Case
Aug 9, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Grim Twist in Missouri Kidnapping Case
Potential witness in case found dead inside a barrel in Missouri River
- Missouri authorities had been looking for Jaynie Crosdale since January, saying she was believed to have information about Timothy Haslett Jr.'s alleged abduction of a 22-year-old woman who says she was held captive in his home for a month before escaping. Now, in a horrific twist, Crosdale's...
Missouri Executes Man
for Murder of Girl, 6
Aug 1, 2023 7:17 PM CDT
Missouri Executes Man for Murder of Girl, 6
3 Supreme Court justices dissented to Johnny Johnson decision
- A man who abducted a 6-year-old Missouri girl and beat her to death at an abandoned factory decades ago was put to death Tuesday evening, shortly after the US Supreme Court rejected a request to block the lethal injection over arguments he was mentally incompetent. Johnny Johnson, 45, received a...
Boat Crashes Into
Home in Missouri
Jul 24, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Boat Crashes Into Home in Missouri
All 8 people aboard the boat were injured in Lake of the Ozarks incident
- All eight people aboard a boat cruising around Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks were injured Saturday night when the vessel crashed into a home on the shore. CNN says the house also suffered "extensive" damage. "Troopers responded to a serious injury crash last night at the 1....
Prosecutor: Teen Had Very Bad
Plan to Get Friend Off Work
Jul 21, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Prosecutor: Teen Had Very Bad Plan to Get Friend Off Work
Missouri man allegedly made 'swatting' call that forced evacuation of Ford plant
- A 19-year-old man in Missouri allegedly had a plan to get his friend off work and in one way, it was a success: Ford's assembly plant in Claycomo, near Kansas City, was evacuated and production was halted Tuesday night after a caller said they were barricaded in a second-floor...
Teen Shot After Ringing Wrong
Doorbell Joins 'Team Ralph'
May 30, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Teen Shot After Ringing Wrong Doorbell Joins 'Team Ralph'
Black teen took part in annual fundraiser
- Ralph Yarl , the Missouri teen shot last month by a white homeowner in Kansas City after he rang the wrong doorbell, has since been recuperating in private from his traumatic brain injury. Over Memorial Day weekend, however, the 17-year-old made what the AP says was his first big public...
Student Gets Suspended for
Recording Teacher Using Slur
May 16, 2023 7:17 PM CDT
Student Gets Suspended for Recording Teacher Using Slur
School district says she violated policy on electronic devices
- A 15-year-old high school student used her phone to record remarks from a teacher that the school district acknowledged were "inexcusable"—but she was still suspended for violating school policy on electronic devices. Mary Walton, a sophomore at Glendale High School in Springfield, Missouri, recorded a 55-second video...
Came With $3.2K
Tab for His Family
Apr 21, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Marine's Memorial Came With $3.2K Tab for His Family
Mark Schmitz says he was 'a little shocked' to be sent bill for road signs in tribute to fallen son, Jared
- Last summer, Missouri Gov. Mike Parson signed a bill to designate a bridge over Interstate 70 as the Marine Lance Corporal Jared Schmitz Memorial Bridge, in honor of a 20-year-old Marine who was one of 13 service members killed by a suicide bomber the prior year in Afghanistan. KTVI reports...
Good Samaritan Who Helped
Teen: 'I Thought He Was Dead'
Apr 18, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
Good Samaritan Who Helped Teen: 'I Thought He Was Dead'
More on the case of Ralph Yarl, Kansas City 16-year-old shot when he went to the wrong home
- Charges have been filed in the case of Ralph Yarl, the Black teen shot Thursday night in Kansas City, Missouri, when police say he showed up at the wrong house to pick up his younger siblings. Andrew Lester, the 84-year-old white homeowner accused of shooting the 16-year-old and charged...
Hospital Sues Attorney General
Over Demand for Trans Records
Apr 15, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
Hospital Sues Attorney General Over Demand for Trans Records
Kansas City Children's says it's not accused of doing anything wrong
- A Kansas City hospital is suing Missouri Attorney General Andrew Bailey over what it calls his "burdensome" requests for records on gender-affirming care. In a lawsuit filed Friday in Jackson County, attorneys for Children's Mercy Hospital ask a judge to deny Bailey's 54 investigative demands for records...
With Story of
Apr 15, 2023 7:10 AM CDT
Lawmaker Defends Child Marriage With Story of 12-Year-Olds
Missouri state Sen. Mike Moon cites preteen wedding after being attacked for his anti-trans bill
- Missouri State Sen. Mike Moon says his aim in sponsoring a bill to ban gender-affirming care for minors is to protect children—which a colleague attacked him for based on Moon's vote against a 2018 bill that put restrictions on child marriage. "You voted 'no' on making...
Woman, 78, With
2 Past Robbery
Apr 10, 2023 5:00 AM CDT
Woman, 78, With 2 Past Robbery Convictions in Trouble Again
Authorities: Bonnie Gooch's note to teller at bank she robbed said, 'I didn't mean to scare you'
- A 78-year-old woman with two past bank robbery convictions faces new charges after authorities allege she handed a teller a note that said, "I didn't mean to scare you" during a recent Missouri heist, per the AP . Bonnie Gooch is jailed on $25,000 bond after she was...
Tornado Hits Missouri;
Multiple People Dead
Apr 5, 2023 9:42 AM CDT
Tornado Hits Missouri; Multiple People Dead
Deadly weather system continues to wreak havoc, with more on the horizon
- A tornado that tore through southeastern Missouri on Wednesday caused widespread destruction and killed and injured multiple people, the AP reports. The tornado moved through a rural area of Bollinger County, about 50 miles south of St. Louis, between 3:30 and 4am, said Sgt. Clark Parrott of the Missouri...
Emergency Action to Limit
State's Gender-Affirming Care
Mar 20, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
Emergency Action to Limit State's Gender-Affirming Care
Experts say Missouri attorney general's move defies scientific consensus
- Missouri's attorney general on Monday said he will limit access to gender-affirming care for minors, sidestepping the GOP-led Senate as it wrestles with legislation to ban the practice for children completely. As hundreds of activists rallied at the Capitol to pressure lawmakers to act on the bill, Attorney General...
Shooting Leaves One
Officer Dead, Another Injured
Mar 13, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
Shooting Leaves One Officer Dead, Another Injured
Police are in a standoff with alleged suspect at a home near Hermann, Missouri
- A Missouri police officer has been killed and a second officer is badly wounded after a shooting at a small-town convenience store. The shooting about 9:30pm Sunday killed Detective Sgt. Mason Griffith of the Hermann Police Department, per the AP . The second officer, 31-year-old Adam Sullentrup, was in serious...
Feb 25, 2023 11:30 AM CST
This Bear Really Wants Out of the Zoo
Ben recaptured after 2nd escape from St. Louis Zoo this month
- St. Louis Zoo officials say they're working to find a way to keep an Andean bear named Ben inside his enclosure after he escaped Thursday for the second time this month. The bear was outside for less than an hour and was found only about 100 feet away from...
Kidnap Suspect Could Get
5 Life Sentences Plus 36 Years
Feb 16, 2023 12:32 PM CST
Kidnap Suspect Could Get 5 Life Sentences Plus 36 Years
Timothy Haslett, Jr. accused of raping captive who escaped his Missouri home in metal collar
- A Missouri grand jury has indicted a man accused of kidnapping and raping a woman with charges that could result in five life sentences. Timothy Haslett, Jr. was indicted Tuesday on nine felony counts including one count of kidnapping, one count of first-degree rape, four counts of first-degree sodomy, two...
Judge Vacates Conviction of
Man Imprisoned for 28 Years
Feb 14, 2023 5:50 PM CST
Judge Vacates Conviction of Man Imprisoned for 28 Years
Lamar Johnson always said he didn't commit 1994 murder
- A Missouri judge on Tuesday overturned the conviction of a man who has served nearly 28 years of a life sentence for a killing that he has always said he didn't commit. Lamar Johnson, 50, closed his eyes and shook his head slightly as a member of his legal...
Missouri Executes Man Who
Claimed Innocence Till the End
Feb 8, 2023 8:39 AM CST
Missouri Executes Man Who Claimed Innocence Till the End
Raheem Taylor was convicted of killing his live-in girlfriend, her 3 kids
- A Missouri man convicted of killing his live-in girlfriend and her three young children was executed Tuesday despite his claims that he was in another state when the killings occurred. As the AP reports, Raheem Taylor, 58, was the third Missouri inmate put to death since November at the state...
Reaching the Arch
Feb 3, 2023 5:35 PM CST
Balloon Crosses Kansas, Missouri, Reaching the Arch
Midwest residents track flight with binoculars, telescopes
- A spy balloon launched by China floated east from Montana on Friday, spotted by residents in Kansas and Missouri—and reached the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. Local members of Congress said the federal government had confirmed the sightings were of a spy balloon. Residents in Kansas; the Kansas City...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.