Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Person Wasn't Supposed
to Be on World Cup Field
Dec 23, 2022 11:28 AM CST
This Person Wasn't Supposed to Be on World Cup Field
FIFA looking into how celeb chef Nusret Gokce, aka Salt Bae, ended up celebrating with Messi, team
- Protocol has it that only FIFA officials and the winning team are allowed to handle the World Cup trophy, but the soccer governing body has now launched an investigation after one person who wasn't supposed to be on the field Sunday after Argentina's victory had his hands all...
World Cup Victory Parade
Gets a Little Out of Hand
Dec 21, 2022 7:39 AM CST
World Cup Victory Parade Gets a Little Out of Hand
Argentine team was airlifted off bus in Buenos Aires chaos; one fan is dead, young boy in coma
- The world is still celebrating the Argentine soccer team's World Cup win over France over the weekend, with exuberant fans scooping up Lionel Messi jerseys and celebrating on the star's Instagram page. The celebration got a little too wild in the nation's capital and elsewhere, however, leading...
A Messi Image Is Now
the King of Instagram
Dec 20, 2022 10:55 AM CST
A Messi Image Is Now the King of Instagram
Celebration photo has more than 62M likes
- Lionel Messi vanquished France , and now he has vanquished the famous egg of Instagram. An image of Messi celebrating Argentina's dramatic World Cup victory had racked up more than 62 million likes as of Tuesday morning on on the soccer star's Instagram page , making it the most-liked image...
France Beats Morocco for
Place in World Cup Final
Dec 14, 2022 3:25 PM CST
France Beats Morocco for Place in World Cup Final
After ending Morocco's impressive run, their final opponents will be Argentina
- France has beaten Morocco 2-0 to reach the World Cup final against Argentina. Theo Hernandez scored in the fifth minute and Randal Kolo Muani added a second in the 79th. The defending champion plays Lionel Messi’s Argentina on Sunday, the AP reports. Hernandez's goal was the first goal...
Messi Leads Argentina
to World Cup Final
Dec 13, 2022 3:07 PM CST
Messi Leads Argentina to World Cup Final
Superstar scored 1 goal, set up 2 others in win over Croatia
- Lionel Messi is back in the World Cup final with Argentina on his mission to win soccer’s biggest prize for the first time. And, at 35, he could hardly be playing any better. Messi converted a penalty and had a hand in the other two goals by Julián...
Grant Wahl Death: 'Why
Wasn't There a Defibrillator?'
Dec 11, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Grant Wahl Death: 'Why Wasn't There a Defibrillator?'
Colleagues, family mourn sportswriter who died at 49
- The cause of death for sportswriter Grant Wahl remained unclear as of Sunday morning as those in his orbit processed the news. The 49-year-old collapsed and died early Saturday in Qatar, where he was covering his eighth World Cup.
Wahl collapsed in the press box of Lusail Iconic
Renowned Sports Writer
Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Dec 10, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Renowned Sports Writer Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Grant Wahl, one of the best-known US journalists in the soccer world, is dead at 48
- Grant Wahl, one of the most well-known soccer writers in the United States, died early Saturday in Qatar while covering the World Cup match between Argentina and the Netherlands. He was 48. US media seated near him said Wahl fell back in his seat in a section of Lusail Stadium...
See the Kick That
Knocks Out Mighty Brazil
Dec 9, 2022 12:46 PM CST
See the Kick That Knocks Out Mighty Brazil
Croatia wins in shootout round, 4-2, to advance in World Cup
- Brazil always seems to be a favorite to win the World Cup, but it won't be happening in 2022. Croatia defeated the powerhouse in penalty kicks on Friday, reports CBS Sports . (You can see the deciding kick via Fox Sports .) The match had finished 1-1 after both teams...
They Make $150 World Cup
Jerseys for $2 Per Day
Dec 1, 2022 1:34 PM CST
They Make $150 World Cup Jerseys for $2 Per Day
'NYT' highlights rights abuses of garment workers producing apparel for Adidas, Nike
- An estimated 5 billion people, or more than 60% of the world's population, are expected to tune in to the World Cup. Many of them will be decked out in national team jerseys from companies like Nike and Adidas, the tournament's official outfitter. But at what cost? As...
Iran's World Cup Exit.
Then Bullets Rained
Dec 1, 2022 8:53 AM CST
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
At least 1 shot dead, 30 injured across Iran, human rights groups say
- Anti-government protesters in Iran celebrated their team's exit from the World Cup early Wednesday as another blow to the regime of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, though the jubilation was soon interrupted by gunfire. Human rights activists say 27-year-old Mehran Samak was shot dead after honking his car horn in the...
US Is Through to
Next Round of World Cup
Nov 29, 2022 3:29 PM CST
US Is Through to Next Round of World Cup
Christian Pusilic scored in 1-0 win over Iran
- Christian Pulisic scored while crashing headfirst into the goalkeeper in the 38th minute and the United States advanced to the knockout round of the World Cup with a 1-0 win over Iran on Tuesday night in a politically charged rematch of their famous meeting a quarter-century ago. Pulisic sprawled on...
Is Huge, and Not
Only Over Soccer
Nov 29, 2022 6:21 AM CST
USA-Iran Match Is Huge, and Not Only Over Soccer
Teams face each other Tuesday in World Cup showdown
- Teams USA and Iran play each other Tuesday in the World Cup, and the stakes are big for both teams on and off the field. The game begins at 2pm Eastern.
The Americans must win if they want to advance to the next round. Iran will likely be
It May Be the Biggest
Upset in World Cup History
Nov 22, 2022 7:10 AM CST
It May Be the Biggest Upset in World Cup History
Saudi Arabia stuns Argentina and Lionel Messi
- Sportswriters are running out of superlatives to describe Saudi Arabia's upset victory over powerhouse Argentina in the World Cup on Tuesday. CNBC calls the 2-1 win by the Saudis "one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history." The
New York Times
sees the loss for Argentina'...
As World Cup Starts,
This Armband Is Forbidden
Nov 21, 2022 7:31 AM CST
As World Cup Starts, This Armband Is Forbidden
FIFA won't let European captains wear 'One Love' armband in support of LGBTQ rights
- The World Cup is underway in Qatar, as is a controversy over LGBTQ armbands. Several European nations had sought permission for their captains to wear rainbow-themed "OneLove" armbands in support of gay rights—as they have been doing for a while in other world tournaments—but soccer's governing...
World Cup in Qatar
Was a Bad Call
Nov 9, 2022 7:20 PM CST
Ex-FIFA Boss: World Cup in Qatar Was a Bad Call
Host nation lacks accommodations for all attendees
- The former president of FIFA, world soccer's governing body, says he wanted this year's World Cup to be held in the US but has now decided it was a "mistake" to award it to Qatar. Sepp Blatter says that when FIFA's executive committee made the decision...
Trouble Befalls Man Walking
From Spain to World Cup
Oct 26, 2022 2:27 PM CDT
Trouble Befalls Man Walking From Spain to World Cup
Santiago Sanchez may have been arrested in Iran
- A Spanish man trekking from Madrid to Doha for the 2022 FIFA World Cup is believed to be under arrest in Iran, where he went missing more than three weeks ago, his family said Wednesday. "We learned this morning from the (Spanish) foreign ministry that there's a 99%...
US Women's Team Learns
First FIFA World Cup Matchups
Oct 22, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
US Women's Team Learns First FIFA World Cup Matchups
Defending champions are grouped with Vietnam and the Netherlands
- The defending champion Americans will face the Netherlands, Vietnam, and a playoff winner to be determined next summer in the group stage of the women’s soccer World Cup. Those matches will be played in New Zealand, the AP reports; the draw was completed Saturday in Auckland. The US beat...
2-0 Loss Was Enough for
US to Qualify for World Cup
Mar 31, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
2-0 Loss Was Enough for US to Qualify for World Cup
Men's team finishes third in group
- More than four years after the US failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in decades, the team has rebounded and will be going to this year's World Cup in Qatar. A 2-0 loss to Costa Rica on Wednesday left the Americans in third place...
US Women's Soccer
Beats England to
Head to World Cup Final
Jul 2, 2019 4:16 PM CDT
US Women's Soccer Beats England to Head to World Cup Final
For the 3rd consecutive time
- The US women's soccer team is heading to the Women's World Cup finals for the third consecutive time. The US Women's National Team beat England 2-1 in the semifinals Tuesday, CBS Sports reports, leading to tweets like this from FIFA Women's World Cup: "THE @USWNT...
After 2 Penalty Kicks,
Team USA Advances
Jun 24, 2019 1:25 PM CDT
After 2 Penalty Kicks, Team USA Advances
Women's soccer team beats Spain 2-1 thanks to Megan Rapinoe's goals
- The opening round is over, along with the prospect of 13-0 romps . Still, the US women's soccer team defeated Spain in a close 2-1 match Monday to advance to the quarterfinals in the World Cup, reports ESPN . Megan Rapinoe scored both American goals, and both were on penalty kicks....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.