Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It Could Be the Priciest
Collection Ever Sold
Nov 23, 2023 3:12 PM CST
It Could Be the Priciest Sports Memorabilia Collection Ever Sold
Sotheby's to auction 6 shirts worn by Lionel Messi in winning World Cup run
- Sotheby's is to auction six shirts worn by Lionel Messi during Argentina's winning run at last year's soccer World Cup in Qatar and thinks they could become the most valuable collection of sports memorabilia ever sold at potentially more than $10 million. The auction house said Monday...
FIFA Lays Down
Hammer on Spain's
Oct 30, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
FIFA Lays Down Hammer on Spain's Ex-Soccer Chief
Luis Rubiales is barred from sport for 3 years for misconduct after he kissed player during World Cup
- FIFA banned Luis Rubiales, the former president of the Spanish soccer federation, from the sport for three years on Monday for misconduct at the Women's World Cup final, where he forcibly kissed a player on the lips at the trophy ceremony. FIFA didn't publish details of the verdict...
2030 FIFA World Cup Will
Be Held on 3 Continents
Oct 5, 2023 8:43 AM CDT
2030 FIFA World Cup Will Be Held on 3 Continents
First 3 games will be played in South America
- The 2026 men's soccer World Cup will be the first to be held in three countries—the US, Canada, and Mexico—but 2030 will go a step further with games in three continents. FIFA, world soccer's governing body, announced Wednesday that the tournament will be hosted by Spain,...
USA Loses in 'Stunning'
Fashion at World Cup
Aug 6, 2023 6:56 AM CDT
USA Loses in 'Stunning' Fashion at World Cup
Sweden defeats Americans in penalty kicks, barely
- The US women's soccer team is out of the World Cup after a dramatic loss to Sweden Sunday on penalty kicks. The teams finished regulation and extra time tied at 0, before Sweden won 5-4 in the kicks, per ESPN . It was a "stunning, stunning conclusion," writes...
Suddenly, an Amazing
Soccer Streak Is at Risk
Jul 27, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
Suddenly, an Amazing Soccer Streak Is at Risk
US women have always advanced past the first round, but it's not sure thing this year
- After its first two games in the World Cup, the US women's team finds itself in an unusual position: Needing at least a draw in the next game to advance. Typically, the long-dominant team has things locked up after two games, but that's not the case this year...
This Person Wasn't Supposed
to Be on World Cup Field
Dec 23, 2022 11:28 AM CST
This Person Wasn't Supposed to Be on World Cup Field
FIFA looking into how celeb chef Nusret Gokce, aka Salt Bae, ended up celebrating with Messi, team
- Protocol has it that only FIFA officials and the winning team are allowed to handle the World Cup trophy, but the soccer governing body has now launched an investigation after one person who wasn't supposed to be on the field Sunday after Argentina's victory had his hands all...
World Cup Victory Parade
Gets a Little Out of Hand
Dec 21, 2022 7:39 AM CST
World Cup Victory Parade Gets a Little Out of Hand
Argentine team was airlifted off bus in Buenos Aires chaos; one fan is dead, young boy in coma
- The world is still celebrating the Argentine soccer team's World Cup win over France over the weekend, with exuberant fans scooping up Lionel Messi jerseys and celebrating on the star's Instagram page. The celebration got a little too wild in the nation's capital and elsewhere, however, leading...
A Messi Image Is Now
the King of Instagram
Dec 20, 2022 10:55 AM CST
A Messi Image Is Now the King of Instagram
Celebration photo has more than 62M likes
- Lionel Messi vanquished France , and now he has vanquished the famous egg of Instagram. An image of Messi celebrating Argentina's dramatic World Cup victory had racked up more than 62 million likes as of Tuesday morning on on the soccer star's Instagram page , making it the most-liked image...
France Beats Morocco for
Place in World Cup Final
Dec 14, 2022 3:25 PM CST
France Beats Morocco for Place in World Cup Final
After ending Morocco's impressive run, their final opponents will be Argentina
- France has beaten Morocco 2-0 to reach the World Cup final against Argentina. Theo Hernandez scored in the fifth minute and Randal Kolo Muani added a second in the 79th. The defending champion plays Lionel Messi’s Argentina on Sunday, the AP reports. Hernandez's goal was the first goal...
Messi Leads Argentina
to World Cup Final
Dec 13, 2022 3:07 PM CST
Messi Leads Argentina to World Cup Final
Superstar scored 1 goal, set up 2 others in win over Croatia
- Lionel Messi is back in the World Cup final with Argentina on his mission to win soccer’s biggest prize for the first time. And, at 35, he could hardly be playing any better. Messi converted a penalty and had a hand in the other two goals by Julián...
Grant Wahl Death: 'Why
Wasn't There a Defibrillator?'
Dec 11, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Grant Wahl Death: 'Why Wasn't There a Defibrillator?'
Colleagues, family mourn sportswriter who died at 49
- The cause of death for sportswriter Grant Wahl remained unclear as of Sunday morning as those in his orbit processed the news. The 49-year-old collapsed and died early Saturday in Qatar, where he was covering his eighth World Cup.
Wahl collapsed in the press box of Lusail Iconic
Renowned Sports Writer
Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Dec 10, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Renowned Sports Writer Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Grant Wahl, one of the best-known US journalists in the soccer world, is dead at 48
- Grant Wahl, one of the most well-known soccer writers in the United States, died early Saturday in Qatar while covering the World Cup match between Argentina and the Netherlands. He was 48. US media seated near him said Wahl fell back in his seat in a section of Lusail Stadium...
See the Kick That
Knocks Out Mighty Brazil
Dec 9, 2022 12:46 PM CST
See the Kick That Knocks Out Mighty Brazil
Croatia wins in shootout round, 4-2, to advance in World Cup
- Brazil always seems to be a favorite to win the World Cup, but it won't be happening in 2022. Croatia defeated the powerhouse in penalty kicks on Friday, reports CBS Sports . (You can see the deciding kick via Fox Sports .) The match had finished 1-1 after both teams...
They Make $150 World Cup
Jerseys for $2 Per Day
Dec 1, 2022 1:34 PM CST
They Make $150 World Cup Jerseys for $2 Per Day
'NYT' highlights rights abuses of garment workers producing apparel for Adidas, Nike
- An estimated 5 billion people, or more than 60% of the world's population, are expected to tune in to the World Cup. Many of them will be decked out in national team jerseys from companies like Nike and Adidas, the tournament's official outfitter. But at what cost? As...
Iran's World Cup Exit.
Then Bullets Rained
Dec 1, 2022 8:53 AM CST
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
At least 1 shot dead, 30 injured across Iran, human rights groups say
- Anti-government protesters in Iran celebrated their team's exit from the World Cup early Wednesday as another blow to the regime of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, though the jubilation was soon interrupted by gunfire. Human rights activists say 27-year-old Mehran Samak was shot dead after honking his car horn in the...
US Is Through to
Next Round of World Cup
Nov 29, 2022 3:29 PM CST
US Is Through to Next Round of World Cup
Christian Pusilic scored in 1-0 win over Iran
- Christian Pulisic scored while crashing headfirst into the goalkeeper in the 38th minute and the United States advanced to the knockout round of the World Cup with a 1-0 win over Iran on Tuesday night in a politically charged rematch of their famous meeting a quarter-century ago. Pulisic sprawled on...
Is Huge, and Not
Only Over Soccer
Nov 29, 2022 6:21 AM CST
USA-Iran Match Is Huge, and Not Only Over Soccer
Teams face each other Tuesday in World Cup showdown
- Teams USA and Iran play each other Tuesday in the World Cup, and the stakes are big for both teams on and off the field. The game begins at 2pm Eastern.
The Americans must win if they want to advance to the next round. Iran will likely be
It May Be the Biggest
Upset in World Cup History
Nov 22, 2022 7:10 AM CST
It May Be the Biggest Upset in World Cup History
Saudi Arabia stuns Argentina and Lionel Messi
- Sportswriters are running out of superlatives to describe Saudi Arabia's upset victory over powerhouse Argentina in the World Cup on Tuesday. CNBC calls the 2-1 win by the Saudis "one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history." The
New York Times
sees the loss for Argentina'...
As World Cup Starts,
This Armband Is Forbidden
Nov 21, 2022 7:31 AM CST
As World Cup Starts, This Armband Is Forbidden
FIFA won't let European captains wear 'One Love' armband in support of LGBTQ rights
- The World Cup is underway in Qatar, as is a controversy over LGBTQ armbands. Several European nations had sought permission for their captains to wear rainbow-themed "OneLove" armbands in support of gay rights—as they have been doing for a while in other world tournaments—but soccer's governing...
World Cup in Qatar
Was a Bad Call
Nov 9, 2022 7:20 PM CST
Ex-FIFA Boss: World Cup in Qatar Was a Bad Call
Host nation lacks accommodations for all attendees
- The former president of FIFA, world soccer's governing body, says he wanted this year's World Cup to be held in the US but has now decided it was a "mistake" to award it to Qatar. Sepp Blatter says that when FIFA's executive committee made the decision...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.